House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
reggie

Renting - Not Through Agent

We are going to rent a property directly through the person owning the house - this is our first time renting, what are the things we should be asking/doing/looking out for?

Ask for an Assured Shorthold Tenancy contract, you are covered by the law then and its a great way to ensure you both know whats expected of each other.

If you have no contract then you dont know where you stand, you wont know what your obligations are and if things turn sour you have less chance of recourse becuase the arrangement is hard to prove and is very grey.

Check out my other post in this forum which someone else looking to rent has asked the same sort of thing.

hth

You shouldn't be paying as much as you would had you rented through a letting agent.

I rent a flat out directly to the DSS and so I don't pay a letting fee. Basically your LL should pass some on some of the savings onto you.

Your LL should probably deduct 5% off the average monthly rental charge for the type of property you are going to let.

This isn't written in black and white anywhere but it fair to both parties.

You shouldn't be paying as much as you would had you rented through a letting agent.

I rent a flat out directly to the DSS and so I don't pay a letting fee. Basically your LL should pass some on some of the savings onto you.

Your LL should probably deduct 5% off the average monthly rental charge for the type of property you are going to let.

This isn't written in black and white anywhere but it fair to both parties.

Thanks for the advice.

I think the landlord is going to get a contract off the internet.and, looking at other properties, I think

we're getting it for a fair rent. Never rented before so it's all new.

Thanks for the advice.

I think the landlord is going to get a contract off the internet.and, looking at other properties, I think

we're getting it for a fair rent. Never rented before so it's all new.

If you LL wants a copy of my AST agreement, let me know and I will email it to you.

I changed it to suit my tenant because she is a friend and I don't expect her to professionally clean the carpets or decorate.

You could easily amend it yourself before forwarding it to your LL :D

If you LL wants a copy of my AST agreement, let me know and I will email it to you.

I changed it to suit my tenant because she is a friend and I don't expect her to professionally clean the carpets or decorate.

You could easily amend it yourself before forwarding it to your LL :D

That would be great - I've sent you a pm with my email address. Thanks.