House Price Crash Forum
watchinandwaiting

Rip Down Your New Mansion!

How do you accidentally build a whole house without planning permission?

My thoughts exactly, not much of a story IMO, you get these kind of stories in my local rag, someone transgresses the rules and some day has to face the consequences

He's a builder, it's pretty clear he tried to pull a fast one and it failed.

I actually feel very sorry for the couple. The planning permission in this country is very strict to the point that it adds to the huge increase in house prices. He may have been pulling a fast one but which one of us would not given half the chance. It's just a shame that he never got away with it and set a precedent for us all.

Like I will say to people who will be in negative equity in a few years, "You knew the rules you took the risk"

Why do we constantly kick a guy when he is down instead of supporting him and change the rules. In the long run if things change in regards to planning permission we all win.....

Guest Charlie The Tramp

It amazes me how many people in my area have brick based conservatories built passing the building line without planning permission and building inspections. The past week I have seen a low flying aircraft and by the flight pattern is most certainly surveying and photographing the area. I would guess that very soon these home owners will be receiving a letter from the local planning authority. :(

Generally you need planning permission to increase the volume of your house (size, not stereo, Chuz). This included when Dad built a proper tiled gable roof on top of the previously flat roof garage. Flipping daft. But then, anyway, the building inspector let slip that he likes DIYers because they tend to want to do the job right, whereas dodgy "Smith's Manchester Builders (1982) LTD" "Smith's Manchester Builders (1985) LTD" "Smith's Manchester Builders (1993) LTD" "Smith's Manchester Builders (1998) LTD" "Smith's Manchester Builders (2001) LTD" builder-boys wanna just party on buildin' like it's 1999.

It amazes me how many people in my area have brick based conservatories built passing the building line without planning permission and building inspections. The past week I have seen a low flying aircraft and by the flight pattern is most certainly surveying and photographing the area. I would guess that very soon these home owners will be receiving a letter from the local planning authority. :(

Either that or your area is known for nude sunbathing.

How do you accidentally build a whole house without planning permission?

Strictly speaking, he had the wrong type of planning permission, not no planning permission. He had permission to convert the barn, but tearing it down and building a larger building in its place crossed the semantic line.

Billy Shears

Edited by BillyShears

Either that or your area is known for nude sunbathing.

Billy Shears

:o

Billy Shears has been spot on the ball with some interesting ideas lately!

I would never have guessed that people sunbathed nude in their gardens!!!

:o:o

Billy Shears has been spot on the ball with some interesting ideas lately!

I would never have guessed that people sunbathed nude in their gardens!!!

I expect that there will be articles in the press blaming nude sunbathing for drops in house prices soon. And if anyone in your street nude sunbathes and has flags on display, you might as well give up now.

Billy Shears

Guest Winners and Losers

I expect that there will be articles in the press blaming nude sunbathing for drops in house prices soon. And if anyone in your street nude sunbathes and has flags on display, you might as well give up now.

Billy Shears

But what if you are a lap dancer and the all over tan is an essential part of carrying out your job?

But what if you are a lap dancer and the all over tan is an essential part of carrying out your job?

Then you don't live in this country, for starters. :lol:

I actually feel very sorry for the couple. The planning permission in this country is very strict to the point that it adds to the huge increase in house prices. He may have been pulling a fast one but which one of us would not given half the chance. It's just a shame that he never got away with it and set a precedent for us all.

Was this a FTB simply wanting a place to live and trying to obey the rules? No, this is some builder boasting about a £400k house he built on the sly, planning reform is not about supporting such things, if you want to change the rules you don't cement them by defending muppetry.

Either the planning act is reformed for everybody or not at all (pikeys included).

Why do we constantly kick a guy when he is down instead of supporting him and change the rules. In the long run if things change in regards to planning permission we all win.....

Who is kicking who, not me, you take a gamble and you lose, that's life, get over it, he knew the rules however wrong they may be, that's all I am afraid

Who is kicking who, not me, you take a gamble and you lose, that's life, get over it, he knew the rules however wrong they may be, that's all I am afraid

The problem is that the rules are so tight that it is getting more and more difficult to adhere to them. Instead of running him down for falling fowl of them why do we not support him and try to change them?

The problem is that the rules are so tight that it is getting more and more difficult to adhere to them. Instead of running him down for falling fowl of them why do we not support him and try to change them?

He was successfully granted permission to convert a barn, it's pretty clear what the 'rules' were as he submitted the plans! Most people would count themselves lucky at that stage, however he decided to push his luck and knock the existing structure down and build something far larger and completely different. Understandly the local council aren't pleased and wants to retain a semblance of credibility to discourage this sort of thing in the future, who knows, if he hadn't tried to hoodwink them they may have approved his later plans.

Anyway, precedents aren't set by local planning committees, they don't have that sort of power, the rules are set by central government so any changes need to be made from the top. Fortunately, the existing planning act will be significantly amended in the future to provide for the new fleet of nuclear stations, this will cut down opportunities for nimby inspired delays.