House Price Crash Forum

A New Solution To The Ftb Problem

Now that I see it quoted back at me, I may have exaggerated a little, or perhaps even a great deal. There was a developing "community" under the underpass in front of, I think, Waterloo Station some years ago. There were a lot of homeless people under there, and people were starting to construct shelters out of big cardboard boxes, but also bits of wood and old furniture. There were regular cooking places etc. Then the police cleared them out. If it had been left it was clearly going to become a shantytown.

Billy Shears

Ahh yes. There was even a 'building' called the "Cardboard Hilton" on a roundabout there. There was a sign charging £1 per night's stay...

• 3 months later...

We've had lots of television programs talking about how FTBs can get a foot on the property ladder by buying in Eastern Europe or other countries. Of course, they can't commute from there, so they can't actually live in the properties.

My solution was much more simple, I just saved hard for a large deposit and bought a place in London, its not impossible, its not easy either, but then when is life ever easy?! I wrote a FTB story to talk about my experiences. Sure buying isnt for everyone, but I think those that want to go for it shouldnt be put off. And they should have to go to such extreme measures!

My solution was much more simple, I just saved hard for a large deposit and bought a place in London, its not impossible, its not easy either, but then when is life ever easy?! I wrote a FTB story to talk about my experiences. Sure buying isnt for everyone, but I think those that want to go for it shouldnt be put off. And they should have to go to such extreme measures!

So your answer is to live on £25 per week for 6 years? If everybody did that the consumer economy would collapse!

I think to really make your case you need to give us the total picture:

How much did you pay for your house?

How much was your deposit and mortgage amount?

What's your current monthly repayment?

What's your current income?

Then we can all take a view on whether your course of action is sustainable.

Incidentally, if it works for you, then good luck to you. I'm not convinced this is the solution though <_<

You may joke - I am a development surveyor and an architect just presented me with the following floor areas for a potential scheme in Crawley:

1 bed flat = 41 sqm

2 bed falt = 47 sqm

These places would be fine if you a) had no furniture, didn't enjoy moving around too much, and c) had no visitors (or visitors who would talk to you from the street).

Cheers,

OD

Maybe when Blair and Brown tell us we are a nation of Borrowers they are getting somewhat confused.

B00007ELEM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

You may joke - I am a development surveyor and an architect just presented me with the following floor areas for a potential scheme in Crawley:

1 bed flat = 41 sqm

2 bed falt = 47 sqm

These places would be fine if you a) had no furniture, B) didn't enjoy moving around too much, and c) had no visitors (or visitors who would talk to you from the street).

Cheers,

OD

UK new builds are THE smallest houses/apartments in Europe.

Even in Greece, where the old houses are as small as in the UK, the new builds are much more spacious.