House Price Crash Forum
OzzMosiz

My First Ever House

1995: Original owner bought for 55K

Dec 1999: I put in offer for 72K - sold - moved in Feb 2000

Dec 2001: Exchanged for another house - got 90K (with a few K knocked off other house due to wanting to sell for 92K)

Jun 2006: Asking price 128K (had sold within a week but back on market - will be gone soon).

Just thought might be interested. Area is Swindon.

Dec 2001: Exchanged for another house - got 90K (with a few K knocked off other house due to wanting to sell for 92K)

Jun 2006: Asking price 128K (had sold within a week but back on market - will be gone soon).

Top floor 2 bed flat, N6.

1994: £80,000 we boughtt

1998: £135,000 we sold

2006: £260,000 value now (based on a comp)

80K felt cheap. 260K is utter madness.

JY

Was that near peatmoor?

38k in 89 still live here, now valued at 90k + not worth 45 IMO still ive here, was going to move but when I saw 3 bed semis that a few years ago were on for 70 -5k now on for 200k plus, I thought get real, sure I could afford to move, at a stretch, two decent wages coming in, but we have the place how we want it, have a bloody good life, holidays nice cars want for nothing in fact.

80K felt cheap. 260K is utter madness.

These are exactly my sentiments. I bought my first BTL (1996) FOR £35,000. Identical one just sold for £125,000. It's madness, total madness.... :rolleyes:

Guest Winners and Losers

2 bed flat - SW2

1988 - bought by original owner for 50k - spent 20k on full refurb (kitchen, bathroom, doors, walls, damp proof, rewire - the works!)

1996 - bought by me for 65k

2002 - sold by me for 190k

2005 - sold for 235k (after putting new kitchen in another room to make to double beds and revamp bathroom)

Studio flat - SW16

2001 - bought by me for 55k

2006 - on market for 125k - however I lost this one! ;)

When I think about what I paid for these, I can really see how crazy things have become. Mind you, I also benefited from it too. So I guess I have to sit on the fence with this one. :unsure:

Hence, ya win some ya lose some!

It's a tripling if you were lucky. W14, 2 bed flat for 90K in 97, sold it for 260K in 2001.

But back then you could get an extra bedroom for 10K. And banks chased you hard for being £200 overdrawn.

2006 bought for £200k,

HPC

Sold for £80k,

bought rope, hung myself

To put things into the perspective of a longer term, the first house we bought was £10.5k in 1975.

We saw the house (maintained but not improved) up for about £160k, late last year.

Guest Winners and Losers

To put things into the perspective of a longer term, the first house we bought was £10.5k in 1975.

We saw the house (maintained but not improved) up for about £160k, late last year.

Only 5K a year.

Guest Winners and Losers

..or 9.5% annual compound growth...

:ph34r:

Don't confuse WAL's pretty little head. :unsure:

..or 9.5% annual compound growth...

:ph34r:

Yeah.. Not exactly phenomenal when you consider the years of high inflation we've had since 1975, and that we're at the peak of a bubble now. If we worked it out from 1975 to 1995 it would look even less spectacular.

Guest Winners and Losers

Yeah.. Not exactly phenomenal when you consider the years of high inflation we've had since 1975, and that we're at the peak of a bubble now. If we worked it out from 1975 to 1995 it would look even less spectacular.

And the next 20 years could be equally unspectacular.

And the next 20 years could be equally unspectacular.

In fact, didn't one of the building societies recently predict that HPs wouldn't grow beyond wage inflation over the next 20 years?

Or did I dream it? Good for the country if it happens, IMO.

Edited by Casual Observer

Guest Winners and Losers

In fact, didn't one of the building societies recently predict that HPs wouldn't grow beyond wage inflation over the next 20 years?

Or did I dream it? Good for the country if it happens, IMO.

You dreamt it of course, that could never happen here. :rolleyes: - can we have a 'yawning' smiley please?

You dreamt it of course, that could never happen here. :rolleyes: - can we have a 'yawning' smiley please?

I've always thought that if prices had risen in line with inflation year after year, I'd be living in a much grander house than I have now!

Rampant HPI is not good news for ordinary people who just want somewhere to live, and who want a better house as their career begins to reward them with higher incomes.

I've always thought that if prices had risen in line with inflation year after year, I'd be living in a much grander house than I have now!

Rampant HPI is not good news for ordinary people who just want somewhere to live, and who want a better house as their career begins to reward them with higher incomes.

Spot on, it does noboddy any good, it's like a party drug, it makes you feel good for a while but sooner or later you have come down!

1988 sold off plan £235k (bought as a Buy to flip investment by someone who thought property only goes up).

1992 I bought it for £89K from Barclays bank (it was repo'd)

Now worth £375k

2008 market value £270k

The fundimentals are out'a wack you can't beat the market.

Pablo Silver or Lead?

1988 sold off plan £235k (bought as a Buy to flip investment by someone who thought property only goes up).

1992 I bought it for £89K from Barclays bank (it was repo'd)

Now worth £375k

2008 market value £270k

The fundimentals are out'a wack you can't beat the market.

Pablo Silver or Lead?

So you're selling it?

(I'll take the silver, thanks.)

JY