House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
AvidFan

I'm Confused By These Property Prices In Basingstoke

Seems to suggest the new build flats have taken a real caning.

However, if you look at the more established residential areas of Basingstoke such as Chineham, you'll find they've experienced a lot of HPI.

Seems to suggest the new build flats have taken a real caning.

However, if you look at the more established residential areas of Basingstoke such as Chineham, you'll find they've experienced a lot of HPI.

Yep the new builds have taking a caning and rightly so. Anyone who bought one of these is an idiot at the end of tye day! Luxury city centre living doesnt happen in Basingstoke! As for areas like Chineham, yes they have experienced HPI but not as much as the so called desirable areas such as Hatch (hutch) Warren.

Whats happening in Basingstoke is that prices have fallen 5.9% in the last year according to Land Registry:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/in_d...s/html/24ub.stm

I used to live in Hatch Warren and have been watching it with interest - its actually reasonably priced (if you take a ludicrous baseline) compared to other parts of basingstoke - particularly 3 bed semi's/terraces. I did notice some HPI in the larger detached houses though.

On the other hand, I know people who have been trying to sell their Hatch Warren flat for months without success.

The Crown Heights flat thing is significant - the last 3 sales I have seen have been over a 30K drop. The 4th was a 25K drop and that was in 2003.

What would be interesting to see is where Basingstoke lies in relation to the general Southern trend - whether it is slightly behind or slightly in front.