House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gel

Off Topic I Know But How To Save A Few Quid...

Being as tight as a ducks **** and just plane forgettful...and partly because the dealership could never fit me in I have missed two services on my car.

This car was serviced at 9k and 18k miles.

Being a 54 plate 1.7 Diesel Civic it's supposed to be serviced every 9k miles.

So as I am approaching my 45k service I phoned to book it in and I mentioned (and completely lied through my teeth) that I had been away in Germany and as there are very few Honda delaers over there BMW had serviced it (Basic oil and filter change with official parts).

I asked them if there was anything that would of been missed like a belt replacement etc and this was their response:

'There wouldn't of been anything major that needed doing at that mileage, the plugs would of been replaced and the valves cleaned but at the age it is you are fine as they tend not to really need it'

This practice saved me £480

Ok so sure, oil should of been changed I know and the filters yes I know...

This practice saved me £480

Which you will pay for in the future when whoever buys the car sees you don't have a full service history or when something goes wrong and you take it into get it fixed on warranty and they say it's now void.

Which you will pay for in the future when whoever buys the car sees you don't have a full service history or when something goes wrong and you take it into get it fixed on warranty and they say it's now void.

Wrong on both counts.

As long as genuine parts were used the warranty will not be void...ergo the ones from the 18k service are still there.

IF someone buys the car from me (I will probably do a trade in but that's by the by) - Then I'm sure there is only so much they will knock me down by... FSH counts for bugger all..I just lost the book.

Don't think its anything to cry about though.

would've, should've, could've = would have, should have, could have

would have, should have, could have = not important, don't care, get a life

Off Topic I Know But How To Save A Few Quid...

............don't take your car to the dealer, even better don't have a new car in the first place.

Pointless thread!

ive worked in the motortrade for over 20 years(with several large dealers) and most manufacturers cant make your warranty invalid if you dont service your car. if you dont service your car at all, then say 2 years into the warranty something goes wrong, as long as the fault is not directly caused by lack of maintenance it has to be covered by warranty.

ie; any faults like interior, window motors doorlocks radio, steering etc anything that isnt touched during a yearly service therefore has not been neglected would be covered. this can stretch to engine and gear box even if you dont change the oil!

ive dealt with lots of claims where the car had no service history at all. makes little difference, if claimed correctly. all garges will tell you that no service = no warranty this is a myth to keep the public spending £60 - £90 per hour.

so why spend £200- £300 per year on services when you sell the car after say 3 years is the new buyer going to knock of £1000 for no stamps in service books- in reality no doesnt happen, if they like it they will still buy..

if you take it to a dealer to trade in they care even less about service history....

have you ever wondered why some car makers have service intervals of up to 30,000 miles and some are still on 9,000 12,000, do you think the former maker has some fancy engine technology that allows the oil not to be changed for 30,000 miles....no they do it to sell cars to you.. they know the car can go without services for lots of miles without developing faults... think about it. next time your in the garage ask the technition what he actually does on a service, listen to what he tells you...not a lot

would have, should have, could have = not important, don't care, get a life

Except it is important.

You think I'm going to employ somebody that can't even write correct English?

I know you'll argue that this is just a forum, but habits are habits.

Edit: Sorry, that sounds a bit like a rant. But it's true - in a customer facing job I want people that can write. It makes me cringe when I see emails with atrocious grammar, not least because it gives the customers the impression of sloppiness. Even though this is a forum, I can quite imagine that people get used to 'should of, could of, would of' and wouldn't even notice the mistake. Get it right on a forum and you're less likely to screw up at work.

/rant over.

Except it is important.

You think I'm going to employ somebody that can't even write correct English?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: get a life.