House Price Crash Forum

Flying An England Flag Is Affecting House Prices

Your in danger of being elected the global villages idiot if you carry on quoting such inane nonsense.

I'm not in contempt of my neighbours, check out the posts on here decrying everyone else in England as chavs and you will find those drips who literally hate those who live next door to them.

It's a vicarious form of self hatred this anti English Englishness.

Hey I quoted Dante!

Edit: This time I'll include a ;)

Edited by Nijo
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nationalistic flag waving, for whatever reason, has never led to a happy conclusion.

Speaking of which, the primary purpose for the creation of the EU was to avoid inter-state european war of the likes of WW1 and WW2, based upon this criteria it has been 100% successful. Over fifty years without war (civil wars aside) in Europe is a major achievement if we look back over history.

Anyway, I feel that hourds of chavs waving cheap tatty 'made in china' English flags from their pimped up rides lacks the dignity that the British Empire and her colonies deserves. Queen Victoria will be turning in her grave, although Enoch Powell would be happy enough.

Actually, could be something in this. I personally wouldn't want to live next door to the sort of slack-jawed knuckle-scraper who hangs an England flag from his window; shows both small minded nationalism and a lack of taste.

This from a slack-jawed knuckle scraper who uses a super state flag as his avatar! :lol:

I've got the Beemer all tooled up. 3 series convertible, naturally. Two flags and aeriel thingy.

Apparently it costs 1 litre of petrol per hour to fly two flags from your car at 70mph. Pretty unpatriotic toward the planet.

Cue stirring music and flag:

I don't see what's wrong with flying flags. Other countries take pride in their flag, the symbol of their nation and their unity. Like charity - pride and goodwill to fellow men starts at home, perhaps it could breed similar feelings for those abroad - we're all in this together. Respect our flag, and we'll respect yours. When the goals for the common good take precedent over the goals of the individual we might actually achieve something, whether it's done in the name of enlgand, the uk, the eu, or mankind - i don't care - lets just stop complaining and get it done. Flags unite us. We're just that basic at the end of the day.

To return to the original suggestion:

Flying An England Flag Is Affecting House Prices

and one of GMTV's questions:

Will they damage the value of your house, and lower the tone of your street?

alternatively:

Or are they just a bit of fun for supporting the England boys in the World Cup?

I tend to go for the last one. But, in the back of my mind, if I was viewing a possible new home and the house opposite was plastered in flags, I would wonder what the occupants would display at other times e.g. Xmas. So, yes - it would have lowered the tone and, yes, I could be put off. (Snob that I am - just like everyone else.) That means that it would affect prices - downwards. Does anyone think that it would move prices in the neighbourhood upwards?

p

observing who is flying the flag is an excellent way to establish how many people around you are SHEEPLE.

granted. if the team make it into say - the semi finals. perhaps a little flag waving could be taken as support. if they got into the final flags are good. thing is, you can see how people are thick if they fly the flag from day one when the team havent delivered anything worth supporting yet.

if they cant win a game, why support idiots out of blind faith.

these are the people that would blindly support anything.

england team. massive hpi. cpi figures.

SHEEPISHLY.

in my experience most flag adorned houses are on the edges of ethnic residential areas (my other half is second generation indian so i've seen this loads traipsing around her relatives)

i think its great the flag of st george comes out for the world cup and everyone puts it on their cars - its been taken back from the NF pri**s who nicked it in the 80's

i generally dont think its the brits fly flags much - not really our style is it?? i expect it would devallue house prices much the same way as messy gardens or knackered cars do

Funny though how in Sweden, Switzerland, Norway, Denmark, (maybe even) the US o' A etc it is socially acceptable to "fly the flag"

i think it's mandatory in the states and if you don't the witchfinder general pays a visit :lol:

I'm an uppity liberal type and I don't mind the england flag in the context of football so long as it's not in some kind of football-racism combo context. It seems to be more accepted practice now and people can put a flag on their car without that being a declaration that they're racists, so that's a good thing, although I don't, thank goodness, know anyone who feels the need to do it.

What is this football thing, anyway, is there some kind of match going on? :D

edit: p.s. libitina - about the link between flag-flying and house prices - we really are a nation possessed. i get tired of saying 'it's completely bonkers' but it really is completely bonkers. words fail me.

Edited by North London Rent Girl

observing who is flying the flag is an excellent way to establish how many people around you are SHEEPLE.

granted. if the team make it into say - the semi finals. perhaps a little flag waving could be taken as support. if they got into the final flags are good. thing is, you can see how people are thick if they fly the flag from day one when the team havent delivered anything worth supporting yet.

if they cant win a game, why support idiots out of blind faith.

these are the people that would blindly support anything.

england team. massive hpi. cpi figures.

SHEEPISHLY.

They've been through the 2-year long qualifying stages of the competition and are now down to the last 32 for the finals. That in itself is an achievement worth celebrating.

How you celebrate it is another question. When I go to see my team play, I wear a replica shirt. In cold weather I wear a club scarf and hat. Same sort of thing as flying a flag. It's expressing support. When I take kids to the match I even put the team car flag on the car. They love it.

From an email received the other day:

Department of Transport Press Release.

There is concern over the current driving standards in England, so the Department of Transport have devised a scheme to identify poor and dangerous drivers.

This system will allow all road users to recognise the potentially hazardous and dangerous ones, or those with limited driving skills.

From the middle of May 2006 all those drivers who are found to be a potential hazard to all other road users will be issued with a white flag, bearing a red cross.

This flag clearly indicates their inability to drive properly.

These flags must be clipped to a door of the car and be visible to all other drivers and pedestrians.

Those drivers who have shown particularly poor driving skills will have to display two flags: One on each side of the car to indicate an even greater lack of skill and limited driving intelligence.

Please circulate this to as many other motorists as you can, in order that drivers and pedestrians will be aware of the meaning of these flags.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Department of Transport

Its a shame theres not a flag to say your anti england flag waving, commercial load of b*llocks. Oh yes wave a flag in england so people know you support england, stick it on your car while your in england so people know you support england, hang a flag from your bedroom window which is in england so people know you support england.

If you dont then you must be unpatriotic to a country that will just as soon shaft you for everything you have. Wave a flag in a differnt country to show your support - take your kickin but atleast you can support 'england' that way. Bah annoyance!

I really f*ckin hate people.

I've been dreaming of a time when

To be English is not to be baneful

To be standing by the flag not feeling

Shameful, racist or partial

I've been dreaming of a time when

The English are sick to death of Labour

And Tories, and spit upon the name of Oliver Cromwell

And denounce this royal line that still salute him

And will salute him forever

Mozza KNOWS THE SCORE :D

Its a shame theres not a flag to say your anti england flag waving, commercial load of b*llocks. Oh yes wave a flag in england so people know you support england, stick it on your car while your in england so people know you support england, hang a flag from your bedroom window which is in england so people know you support england.

If you dont then you must be unpatriotic to a country that will just as soon shaft you for everything you have. Wave a flag in a differnt country to show your support - take your kickin but atleast you can support 'england' that way. Bah annoyance!

I really f*ckin hate people.

I put £100 on england to win, is that patriotic? Perhaps I should shave a cross in my pubes too?

Hopefully the team will work extra hard, just so they can earn enough to buy a house.

The Cross of St. George is seen as a rallying symbol against Nu Labour's new vision for Britain which is not a melting pot as in the USA where there is an attempt to see all people as "Americans" but a "stew pot" where each ingredient retains its own individual flavour and charateristics.

Interesting - in Canada they refer to their own culture as a Mosaic. The culture is defined by all the people in it, not the other way around. It's a nice theory - of course it falls down in practice in many ways. Even so, they seem to have a more positive attitude to everyone sharing equally in the curent culture. I don't see people losing all individuality - on the contrary - people seem quite happy to be who they are. It's diverse and happy to be so. The Canadians I have met seem to think their approach is better than the American "melting pot" - they call it that too.

I like the "stew pot" metaphor by the way. A very British take on it. :D

Edited by AFineMess

They were doing a piece about is it patriotic, chav or racist to fly it for the world cup. One comment said that they were partly to blame for lowering house prices.

Barrel, scrape anyone?? :rolleyes:

http://www.gm.tv/index.cfm?articleid=20869

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1644430/posts I thought this link might be interesting. Something about the English being afraid to fly their flag.

I'm fed up with all these people having a go at those flying the flag and getting behind our boys. It appears we (yes, my house and motor are festooned with SGX) are the victim of a pincer movement; on the one hand from the suburban snobs who think anyone who likes football is a chav and on the other the Leftist PC brigade who preceive the flying of the flag as 'racist' or 'islamophobic'. Actually the Guardianistas may have a point but when the establishment has virtually eliminated patriotism, it's hardly surprising that some people have found car flags as a way of sticking two fingers up to the multiculturalists.

I'm sure that's another thing the pc police will be clamping down on soon :angry:

Edited by shermanator

I'm fed up with all these people having a go at those flying the flag and getting behind our boys. It appears we (yes, my house and motor are festooned with SGX) are the victim of a pincer movement; on the one hand from the suburban snobs who think anyone who likes football is a chav and on the other the Leftist PC brigade who preceive the flying of the flag as 'racist' or 'islamophobic'. Actually the Guardianistas may have a point but when the establishment has virtually eliminated patriotism, it's hardly surprising that some people have found car flags as a way of sticking two fingers up to the multiculturalists.

I'm sure that's another thing the pc police will be clamping down on soon :angry:

getting behind our boys.... righty. I dont think its racist and im far from a snob, i just think its stupid. What will your flag do for the england football team? will it make them run faster or kick more accuratly? or do you think thier multi million pound contracts already take care of that.

getting behind our boys as apposed to? Its a commercial w*nk off that implies your not getting behind our boys if you dont buy some tat and wave a flag.

getting behind our boys.. they are not my 'boys' once again i wouldnt give a danm if the whole team got taken out on a crash private jet, i would talk about it for about a day then carry on with my life. Them not winning the world cup is no reflection on me, i wasnt playing, them winning the world cup is no reflection on me , i wasnt playing.

It just seems to be a mass psychological need to rally behind something to make our pathetic boring lives a little bit more interesting, to give us just that little something else to talk about.

People are f*ckin weird oh and did i mention.. they suck

A flag hanging from a pole, a single flag on a house, fine if thats what you want, but to stick 10 flags all over the outside of your house .. why? oh does that mean that they support england (whatever the f*ck that means) 10 times more than someone with one flag?

Edited by theChuz