House Price Crash Forum

Flying An England Flag Is Affecting House Prices

Flag wavers are hoping their demonstration of support may spur on an English sporting team to win a world wide contested sporting trophy.

Sure!! The English team will come and see you driving round your council estate with your English flags on your 15 year old wreck! Yeah. Innit.

p

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Who told you this invented story?

p

Invented !!!! I was one who used the Other Box to state I was English, and vaguely remember the subject being brought up on television news. The wife has also confirmed this and for your benefit I have just telephoned a couple of friends who I remember had discussions with me at the time and they also confirmed my invented story.

Edit: I have downloaded the 2001 Census Form for England and Wales, it appears Scotland had their own census. Admit I got the it slightly wrong about the Scots and Welsh in the ethic grouping.

It was Person 1 question 8 which caused the problems and protests.

engh1.pdf

engh1.pdf

Sorry if already posted ....

Information Release.

There is concern over the current driving standards in England, so the Department of Transport have devised a scheme to identify poor and dangerous drivers.

This system will allow all road users to recognise the potentially hazardous and dangerous ones, or those with limited driving skills.

From the middle of May 2006 all those drivers who are found to be a potential hazard to all other road users will be issued with a white flag, bearing a red cross.

This flag clearly indicates their inability to drive properly. These flags must be clipped to a door of the car and be visible to all other drivers and pedestrians.

Those drivers who have shown particularly poor driving skills will have to display two flags:

One on each side of the car to indicate an even greater lack of skill and limited driving intelligence.

Please circulate this to as many other motorists as you can, in order that drivers and pedestrians will be aware of the meaning of these flags.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Britain's largest council house, occupied by a dysfunctional immigrant family - what's your point?

Europa,

You obviously have no time for the English flag or what it represents. I suppose it is small-minded and jingoistic, not at all like the wonderful European flag that you proudly display as your avatar...oh to be as international and cultural as you are, and not the provincial/regional little Englander I obviously am...

But hang on...doesn't your European flag exclude people outside of Europe!?! What about Asia or America!?! Are you in fact being a regional little 'Europeaner' when you wave that thing about?

My guess is that you don't like the St George's Cross or Union Jack because you don't like what they represent: non-compliance to your superstate wet dream.

p.s. I don't fly the SGX

p.p.s. Before you write me off as a little Englander, I will point out that Je parle francais (j'etais la pour six mois pour le travaille), et aussi ik spreek Nederlands (ik heb twee jaar gewoond in Nederland voor mijn werk)...so in fact I am probably more European than you are anyway! Get off your disgusting Belgian hobby horse: you remind me of those sycophantic cheerleading idiots welcoming Giscard d'Estaing to England a few years ago by screaming 'we love you!' whilst waving their Pro-Europe banners feverishly. Uuurrgh.

Ermm most English people will support England. Not Wales or Scotland or N-Ireland. So you wouldn't expect them to fly a union jack!!

Indeed, ask a Scot 'Are you Scottish or British?'

Ask a Welshman 'Are you Welsh or British?'

I am convinced most of the Welsh and Scots hate the English and hate the fact they are part of 'Great Britain'.

I regard the Union Jack as a symbol of our colonial past and something to be ashamed of.

There is something intrinsically ugly about sporting contests between national teams.

Sure!! The English team will come and see you driving round your council estate with your English flags on your 15 year old wreck! Yeah. Innit.

p

Long suffering sigh!

They are aware they have support.

It's a way for folk who, for whatever reason are unable to be there to lend vocal & presence support.

It's only the 'holier than thou' who object.

I expect there is the same attitude towards religion as well?

Indeed, ask a Scot 'Are you Scottish or British?'

Ask a Welshman 'Are you Welsh or British?'

I am convinced most of the Welsh and Scots hate the English and hate the fact they are part of 'Great Britain'.

I regard the Union Jack as a symbol of our colonial past and something to be ashamed of.

There is something intrinsically ugly about sporting contests between national teams.

Difficult to understand this supposed hatred, both countries only have recognition from hanging onto the shirt tails of Englands achievements.

Neither country are noted for anything exceptional are they, except complaining?

How can you be ashamed of something that happened hundreds of years ago & was then considered the norm, no matter how reprehensible it may now seem.

...I have just telephoned a couple of friends who I remember had discussions with me at the time and they also confirmed my invented story.

Very honest of you to admit to the invention and even to attach a copy of the census form to prove that you were wrong. No apology needed.

p

Edited by patprimer74
Guest Charlie The Tramp

Very honest of you to admit to the invention and even to attach a copy of the census form to prove that you were wrong. No apology needed.

p

From my edited post

Admit I got the it slightly wrong about the Scots and Welsh in the ethic grouping.

It was Person 1 question 8 which caused the problems and protests.

As I said if my memory served me correctly. In the Other box people were inserting British English en masse and this became an item of the news. At one point the government ( census ) said that was acceptable but no doubt at the end of the day they were counted under the plain British box.

Europa,

You obviously have no time for the English flag or what it represents. I suppose it is small-minded and jingoistic, not at all like the wonderful European flag that you proudly display as your avatar...oh to be as international and cultural as you are, and not the provincial/regional little Englander I obviously am...

Please, tell me what the English flag represents. It certainly isn't a national flag (England hasn't been a sovereign state since 1707 - you're aware of that, right?)

And yes, I am proud to sport the flag of the European Union (not just on my avatar, but also on my car, mobile phone, windows background, etc). It represents possibly the greater achievement ever seen on this continent; the peaceful unification of the member states.

My guess is that you don't like the St George's Cross or Union Jack because you don't like what they represent: non-compliance to your superstate wet dream.

You are quite correct, I do look forward to the day when there is a United States of Europe, and I find that primitive nationalism isn't helpful.

What is it that you find in nationalism? The nation state is an artificial concept; perhaps you should go the whole way and revert to tribalism.

Please, tell me what the English flag represents. It certainly isn't a national flag (England hasn't been a sovereign state since 1707 - you're aware of that, right?)

Nit picking aside, the English flag represents England, that's all there is to it.

England has nothing to be ashamed of & plenty to be proud of.

Many years ago we were an occupied territory by the most able warriors of the time taking their pick of our best women, no wonder we turned into a super breed.

All England did was what all the pther nations were trying to do, take control of the bulk of the world & discover & use their resources as they saw best fit.

It's just that the English people were better at everything, better training, better fighters, better weapons, better technology. They were Great!

This is something to be ashamed of isn't it!! you betcha.

Just demonstrate a country that has more reason to celebrate their heritage & be more proud of it than England.

There are a great many more countries you would rather not be in than this one I'll wager, if only for the priveledge of being able to resent it so much so freely.

Are you scottish??

Guest Charlie The Tramp

You are quite correct, I do look forward to the day when there is a United States of Europe, and I find that primitive nationalism isn't helpful.

Well thankfully I won`t be around if that day ever comes which I believe is unlikely. There are already rumblings of discontent in the EU over this so called Superstate. It`s the same old story of politicians wanting greater powers, look at how many worms have turned for their own advantage. It is the gravy train for the failed politicians and those the electorate kicked out.

Edit: And don`t forget the blatant corruption will grow as more and more countries are admitted.

Nit picking aside, the English flag represents England, that's all there is to it.

England has nothing to be ashamed of & plenty to be proud of.

Many years ago we were an occupied territory by the most able warriors of the time taking their pick of our best women, no wonder we turned into a super breed.

All England did was what all the pther nations were trying to do, take control of the bulk of the world & discover & use their resources as they saw best fit.

It's just that the English people were better at everything, better training, better fighters, better weapons, better technology. They were Great!

This is something to be ashamed of isn't it!! you betcha.

Just demonstrate a country that has more reason to celebrate their heritage & be more proud of it than England.

There are a great many more countries you would rather not be in than this one I'll wager, if only for the priveledge of being able to resent it so much so freely.

Are you scottish??

Fair points well made - Britain has a proud history, and I believe that should be recognised. Our country (and for the record, I was born in England) has, however, achieved little from cowering within our own borders. Our greatest achievements were international.

Charlie - I agree the EU needs to reform, but the founding principles remain sound. If anything, I would like to see Britain assume a leading role in Europe.

And yes, I am proud to sport the flag of the European Union (not just on my avatar, but also on my car, mobile phone, windows background, etc). It represents possibly the greater achievement ever seen on this continent; the peaceful unification of the member states.

What is it that you find in nationalism? The nation state is an artificial concept; perhaps you should go the whole way and revert to tribalism.

I am not particularly nationalistic - but I know a turkey (the EU) when I see one.

I agree that European countries not being at each others throats, like they were for centuries; is a fantastic thing...but I am not sure how much of this you can ascribe to the EU. Definitely we should talk and make agreements that benefit us all (Schengen agreement is a good one for example), trading agreements and consultation on common problems where we can find common solutions. This is all great, and if the EU WAS THIS I would be all for it...

...unfortunately all I can see is a bunch of bureaucratic time-wasters poncing around in Brussels (when they aren't decamping once a month to Strasbourg in what must be one of best displays as to why the whole thing is a joke), lunching their way through a collosal mountain of unearned cash, endemic curruption, COMPLETE unaccountability (we all know the books have not been signed off by accountants for years and years!) and an UTTER disregard for the wishes of the European people they are MEANT to be representing. Referenda took place recently which rejected the constituttion...and let's take a guess at what is happening right now. Yes, that's right, the articles in the constitution are being gradually implemented anyway. Truely democracy in action....rather reminds me of when Ireland voted no to the Treaty of Nice in 2001. They were told they were wrong, and then had a revote in 2002! Unbelievable!

The people in Brussels for the most part genuinely don't give a c0ck what people think.

It is in short a wet dream for the politically minded elitist and wannabee dictator - bursting with taxpayers money, unnaccountable, and detached from reality.

As for England not being a Sovereign state, of course not, she is part of the Union of Great Britain. I find it very curious: pro-europeans are almost universally in favour of devolution within the UK, but completely in favour of unification within the EU. Not really difficult to see a dirty political mind at work.

Yes to Europe, BALLS to the European Union.

I

Your European nationalism and your neo-fascist, imperialist wish to wipe out our own, longstanding national identities seems fairly primitive to me. The EU is not sovereign, despite the wishes of our so-called political elite acting against the wishes of the majority of the national populations. So why have a European flag then? So we can have a flagpole to hang the traitors from one day, perhaps... ;)

Yes, not helpful to your project of turning the peoples of Europe into a bastardised, homogenous mass that can be ordered around by their masters in Brussels. I believe Adolf Hitler had a similar idea. There's nothing primitive about wanting to defend your traditions and way of life against some kind of one-size-fits-all, generic, slop culture.

Guest Bart of Darkness
Most of you are university educated people with money and you sometimes behave like there is no other way to be, or that anything less is beneath you.

As someone brought up (and still living) on a council estate and who never went to university, let me add that I hate probably chavs more than most on this site.

It's only'Union Jack' when flown at sea, otherwise 'Union Flag'.

Another Doctor Who fan I see. ;)

Most of the England fans have no footballing auccess to be proud of since 1966, and the country and the way it is going is certainly nothing to be proud of either.

The optimism of the average England fan is amazing. Quite what it is based on I don't know but to look around you'd think the World Cup was over and that we had won.

Or even that the World Cup actually mattered one iota. ;)

I see problems with a European super-state.

Governments should represent the interests of the people that they 'serve' (A quaint notion innit??)

Our governments are already corrupt and well disconnected from the general public. The last thing we need is another layer of bent spongers (Peter Mandelson spring to mind :lol: ) wasting our money.

The European parliament, and european regulation is a joke. All they are doing is sponging lots of money out of member states, then distributing it unfairly.

Guest tenant super

Can anyone tell this proud englishman why I shouldnt fly the flag of my own country - especially if it's gonna mean lower house prices!!

For the record, the drips aside, anyone with an interest in matters relating to England, especially politically visit:

www.thecep.org.uk/

Also those preople claiming to be British not English might like to have a look at this essay from Nigel Hastilows blog.

Gordon Browns cloak of invisibility

i already know im living in england with all the scumbag drinkers that are about.

...and the ugly girls....

Odd that. The single blokes at Mr TeddiBear's office (about 4 English and 1 American!) apparently all say that when they come across a good looking woman, 9/10 times they find she is not English!

Can anyone tell this proud englishman why I shouldnt fly the flag of my own country

Ah, because pride is father of the all sins, "love of self perverted to hatred and contempt for one's neighbour".

Celebrate our differences yes, but nationalism smacks of pride and pride is a slippery slope.

Ah, because pride is father of the all sins, "love of self perverted to hatred and contempt for one's neighbour".

Celebrate our differences yes, but nationalism smacks of pride and pride is a slippery slope.

I would rather be a flag waving chav than the sort of individual who uses a phrase like "celebrate our differences"

Guest tenant super

Your in danger of being elected the global villages idiot if you carry on quoting such inane nonsense.

I'm not in contempt of my neighbours, check out the posts on here decrying everyone else in England as chavs and you will find those drips who literally hate those who live next door to them.

It's a vicarious form of self hatred this anti English Englishness.