House Price Crash Forum
libitina

Flying An England Flag Is Affecting House Prices

One comment said that they were partly to blame for lowering house prices.

Actually, could be something in this. I personally wouldn't want to live next door to the sort of slack-jawed knuckle-scraper who hangs an England flag from his window; shows both small minded nationalism and a lack of taste.

Edited by Europa

Actually, could be something in this. I personally wouldn't want to live next door to the sort of slack-jawed knuckle-scraper who hangs an England flag from his windows; shows both small minded nationalism and a lack of taste.

Why does it?

Other countries fly their national flag with no problems. It's only in England that the 'pc' brigade has got a bee in it's bonnet about it.

BTW I don't fly the flag, especially those chavvy car ones.

Actually, could be something in this. I personally wouldn't want to live next door to the sort of slack-jawed knuckle-scraper who hangs an England flag from his window; shows both small minded nationalism and a lack of taste.

Funny though how in Sweden, Switzerland, Norway, Denmark, (maybe even) the US o' A etc it is socially acceptable to "fly the flag"

Though if a neighbour had their house festooned in red and white all year round, then yes, it would perhaps put me off buying in that street. But only for the chav factor.

Funny though how in Sweden, Switzerland, Norway, Denmark, (maybe even) the US o' A etc it is socially acceptable to "fly the flag"

Don't care, it's still common. :P I don't think you get anywhere near as many flags in the Hamptons as you do in Chicago.

I'm pretty sure nationalist sentiments are inversely correlated to levels of education, and levels of education are correlated to class, so there is probably something in it.

It is not acceptable to fly the flag in the UK, especially the Cross of St. George, as it is against Tony Blair's multi-cultural society. In Blair's world we cannot impose "our flag" on other ethnic groups who do not relate to the Union Jack or the nation it once stood for. The idea of "Britishness" is now politically incorrect as those who do not relate to the culture, the history and the ideals of Britain may feel disenfranchised.

The Cross of St. George is seen as a rallying symbol against Nu Labour's new vision for Britain which is not a melting pot as in the USA where there is an attempt to see all people as "Americans" but a "stew pot" where each ingredient retains its own individual flavour and charateristics. There should be no "Church of England" or "Royal Family" as these are symbols of the past and no longer mean anything to new arrivals whose base loyalties often remain with the cultures of their countries of origin.

Whether Blair is right or wrong will be decided by history.

I'm pretty sure nationalist sentiments are inversely correlated to levels of education, and levels of education are correlated to class, so there is probably something in it.

this means that I have rapidly slid down the social scale in the last couple of years.

I have to admit that I used to feel this way (IIRC it was World Cup 2002 when it really kicked in, what with it co-inciding with the Jubilee) but my personal circumstances have changed so that I can now fly the flag and pretend that I'm being "ironic".

actually, being a contrarian, like many on here, I would feel much more like flying the flag if I were in Scotland, Wales, France etc etc... but amongst a large group of Ingurland fans I would feel a sudden urge to don lederhosen and sing "deutschland uber alles" B)

I don't think it racist, just chav.

I'd not fly a flag at the moment - people may think I was interested in Soccer, heaven forbid. When the UK gets knocked out I might buy a cheap flag.

I have to be honest and say that if I was buying now, and I drove up to a house with a flag on it, or on a neighbour's house, I'd at least have a bad initial impression!

I don't think it racist, just chav.

I'd not fly a flag at the moment - people may think I was interested in Soccer, heaven forbid. When the UK gets knocked out I might buy a cheap flag.

I have to be honest and say that if I was buying now, and I drove up to a house with a flag on it, or on a neighbour's house, I'd at least have a bad initial impression!

Call it soccer and people will soon know you are not interested in football!

They were doing a piece about is it patriotic, chav or racist to fly it for the world cup. One comment said that they were partly to blame for lowering house prices.

Barrel, scrape anyone?? :rolleyes:

http://www.gm.tv/index.cfm?articleid=20869

I knew the metropolitan pc brigade would turn their attention to flag flying for the World Cup. Any expression of patriotism is frowned upon by these ivory tower liberals and lo and behold that all embracing phrase 'racist' is being wheeled out by these traitors. I have very little time for Chavs but I'll take them over the coke-snorting, oh so liberal folks any time.

I've got two flags on my car (for balance) and I'm draping a massive flag on the front of the house. There are 3 houses up for sale so hopefully my little display will turn off any prospective purchasers :D

When I was driving around Bromley/Bexley yesterday it was marvellous how they were getting behind our boys. Come back to Dulwich - nothing at all.

It is not acceptable to fly the flag in the UK, especially the Cross of St. George, as it is against Tony Blair's multi-cultural society. In Blair's world we cannot impose "our flag" on other ethnic groups who do not relate to the Union Jack or the nation it once stood for. The idea of "Britishness" is now politically incorrect as those who do not relate to the culture, the history and the ideals of Britain may feel disenfranchised.

precisely why so many whiteys have taken to displaying the flag. It is remarkable how ubiquitous it is in Inner London, even in places like Bethnal Green... and how few non-white volk appear to be offended by it.

In fact, you see rather a lot of black and asian kids wearing England paraphenalia. I was at Ghana vs Jamaica on Monday and there were a surprising number of St George's cross car flags alongside the Black Stars (but not so much the Jammos)

this also pleases me.

I'm actually getting the feeling that the only people who don't like the StG's X are a few snotty English people :P

I've got two flags on my car (for balance) and I'm draping a massive flag on the front of the house.

Tasteful <_< Perhaps you could complete the "Inger-land" fan look with facial tattooing.

I'm sure your neighbours will love seeing an enormous regional flag hanging down the wall.

The Cross of St. George is seen as a rallying symbol against Nu Labour's new vision for Britain which is not a melting pot as in the USA where there is an attempt to see all people as "Americans" but a "stew pot" where each ingredient retains its own individual flavour and charateristics. There should be no "Church of England" or "Royal Family" as these are symbols of the past and no longer mean anything to new arrivals whose base loyalties often remain with the cultures of their countries of origin.

Whether Blair is right or wrong will be decided by history.

Pompous bo11ocks.

In what sense is it "not acceptable to fly the flag"? There are hundreds of thousands of people out there flying the flag, whether we like it or not. Who says it's "not acceptable" apart from the odd crackpot dug up by the red tops?

Sounds like you've fallen hook line and sinker for the Sun campaign. That fine organ of the people is conducting the summer version of its "They're trying to ban Christmas" campaign, where they dig up every trivial comment from every Parish Council nutcase they can find. Probably one in a thousand wants to "ban Christmas" or ban the English flag, yet these are projected as being somehow representative of "Blair's Britain".

It's only in the last 10 years i.e. under "Blair's Britain" that you've ever seen the Cross of St George. Before that, the flag barely existed. Blair has said nothing against people who fly the flag, and nor would he.

Edited by brassfarthing

Guest Winners and Losers

When Jamaica were in the World Cup (or was it something else?), anyway, it was in the 90's, Brixton was full of Jamaican flags. Was everyone being 'chav'?

Yeah, the occupants of this place must be uber chav-scum.

(Bet they only rent it)

palaceflag.jpg

post-3226-1149239639.jpg

Yeah, the occupants of this place must be uber chav-scum.

Britain's largest council house, occupied by a dysfunctional immigrant family - what's your point?

Britain's largest council house, occupied by a dysfunctional immigrant family - what's your point?

I guess the point is, if YOU DON'T want to fly a flag, then don't, but if YOU DO, then fly it and to hell with what anyone thinks.

All this, "oh-dear-what-will-people-think?" stuff is so synonymous with a population wrestling with its identity. It's all so English and pathetic.

Edited by Flash

Guest Riser

Yet your quite happy to fly the flag of those undemocratic bureaucratic wasters in your avitar :blink:

Tasteful <_< Perhaps you could complete the "Inger-land" fan look with facial tattooing.

I'm sure your neighbours will love seeing an enormous regional flag hanging down the wall.

I do hope they do get offended. They're just jumped up snobs who think they're superior because they go to wine bars in Clapham, or some similar area.

I went to public school and vote Tory but I feel more at home amongst Sun reading, white van man than I do amongst my snotty nosed neighbours. Oh the irony <_<

any road, wasn't the point of this thread to debate the idea that Ingurland flags depress house prices?

Surely we should all be flying multiple flags then, even if we have to set aside our discomfort in doing so!

Interestingly, this ties in neatly with the inevitable excuse that you'll be hearing this autumn... "the World Cup stopped people from buying houses" :rolleyes:

Pompous bo11ocks.

In what sense is it "not acceptable to fly the flag"? There are hundreds of thousands of people out there flying the flag, whether we like it or not. Who says it's "not acceptable" apart from the odd crackpot dug up by the red tops?

Sounds like you've fallen hook line and sinker for the Sun campaign. That fine organ of the people is conducting the summer version of its "They're trying to ban Christmas" campaign, where they dig up every trivial comment from every Parish Council nutcase they can find. Probably one in a thousand wants to "ban Christmas" or ban the English flag, yet these are projected as being somehow representative of "Blair's Britain".

It's only in the last 10 years i.e. under "Blair's Britain" that you've ever seen the Cross of St George. Before that, the flag barely existed. Blair has said nothing against people who fly the flag, and nor would he.

Agree with you 100%. It's another 'red under every bed' panic created out of nothing by Murdoch and his ilk to keep people frightened and angry of an enemy that doesn't exist. For what reason I couldn't possibly say. It's health and safety nutjobs you need to fear, not some powerless PC freak.

Guest Winners and Losers

So supporting your country in the World Cup by flying a flag is chavism??

You snobs!! :P

:lol:

It's true. While overdoing it is a bit chav, there is definitely a 'class' system running through HPC. Most of you are university educated people with money and you sometimes behave like there is no other way to be, or that anything less is beneath you. Now, I'm not knocking you for what you are or what you've got, but snobbery permeates the forum no doubt. Live and let live ffs.

Sometimes I feel like I've stumbled right into "nouveau riche" quasi upper class England.

Example - I have a phd/doctorate/200 honours degrees blah de blah de blah, I am a rocket scientist/brain surgeon blah de blah de blah, I earn £100k blah de blah de blah, should I buy this £500k house blah de blah de blah, look how wonderful and rich I am blah de blah de blah. Get the jist?

OK, rant over. ;)