House Price Crash Forum
laurejon

Average Wages Decrease

For the first time in the history of the UK today, we have a situation whereby Wages have decresed!!.

It was on the BBC news.

Did anyone else see this, surely this is something big and will not bode well with the electorate, that is those who are left working and not on benefits such as Housing, or Tax, or Public Services Employee benefit system.

I'd like to know the percentage increases in the following since Labour came to power:

1: Wages

2: House prices

3: Food

4: Gas

5: Electricity

6: Water rates

7: Council tax

8: Phone bills

9: TV license

I'm pretty sure that, even with wage increases, we get worse off from one year to the next. I know I do.

For the first time in the history of the UK today, we have a situation whereby Wages have decresed!!.

It was on the BBC news.

Did anyone else see this, surely this is something big and will not bode well with the electorate, that is those who are left working and not on benefits such as Housing, or Tax, or Public Services Employee benefit system.

Are you sure they weren't talking about Premiership footballers wages not average UK wages;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5032978.stm

It was on the BBC news.

Come on lj you know better than that , where is the hard evidence in the form of an external link :lol::)

It was on the BBC news.

Average wages have decreased many times in history. You should be delighted that dear Margarets long term plan to restore the power of big business has been achieved. Destroy the trade unions and bring about wage slavery.

Edited by nodumsunreader

I'd like to know the percentage increases in the following since Labour came to power:

I'm pretty sure that, even with wage increases, we get worse off from one year to the next. I know I do.

10. Petrol/Diesel

11. Bus travel

12. Train travel

(Some of us have to get to work you know)

plus

13: Tax rate on person on average wage

14: National Insurance for empoyees and employers

15: Tax take from inheritance tax

plus

16: Increase in council tax for average band D home

Edited by jonewer

1996 TV licence

A colour TV Licence costs £89.50 - less than 25p a day. A black and white TV Licence costs £30.000

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=32911

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:NQuKn-o...en&ct=clnk&cd=9

s look woefully uneconomic.British Gas’s weighted average cost of gas (WACOG) under its contracts is currently in the region of 20p per therm, whilst gas can be purchased in the spotmarket for less than 10p per therm.The government must bear ultimate responsibilityand rescue British Gas’s

Whats a TV licence these days?

TV Licence costs £131.50 and a black and white licence costs £44.00.

(? don't ask me to do the maths)

Also, do you know who paid a large part in kicking off in the 1970's? Yup, university lecturers, thank god times have changed.

What have university lecturers got to do with anything? Quite literally in some cases... But no, hang on. What has this profession got to do with anything else on this thread?

Edited by AFineMess

Average wages have decreased many times in history. You should be delighted that dear Margarets long term plan to restore the power of big business has been achieved. Destroy the trade unions and bring about wage slavery

Trade Unions are not destroyed, if they were we would not be seeing the Pips playing croquet!!.

The Trade Unions in the past were a disgrace, and hardly represented their members so I am glad she axed as much of them as possible. I do think they have a place, but not in discussing issues about education in Israel, or Lesbian awareness. The should be asking themselves why they backed their members jobs to go offshore, but saved their own skins!!!.

University Lecturers going on strike day!!

They actually decided the best time to act was during exam season.

So on that basis, I would fking sack the lot of them, all communists, all extremists in my book.

And given that the Students are now fee paying customers, they should sue the Government for spending three years at Uni, and then the Uni breaking the contract and not providing the services they charged for.

Each and every student should go to the European court and demand their three years time at uni at 25 quid an hour, and ask for 500k in Compensation from the Labour Party funds for them messing their lives up.

oh stop whining

you could always play the lottery

which wasnt available back in the old days!

Lets do the manth

£1 could win £5 million

Thats a increase of ££££££££££% :D

That easily makes up for the increase in cost of living.

now whens my turn to win?

What have university lecturers got to do with anything? Quite literally in some cases... But no, hang on. What has this profession got to do with anything else on this thread?

They're on strike and demanding more dosh because their wages have fallen behind, the 13.1% increased offered has been described as "miserly".

They're on strike and demanding more dosh because their wages have fallen behind, the 13.1% increased offered has been described as "miserly".

In their defence -

These are the most important people in the country. They should be getting 7-digit salaries. They are the ones educating the next generation of leaders. The engineers, scientists, mathematicians, accountants, doctors, surgeons etc etc.... of tomorrow depend on us getting the finest brains from across the globe.

Except for meedja studies and all that crap. We need to stop giving degrees for that kind of mickey-mouse shittte in any case.

Personally I would be in favour of cutting the pay of useless wasters like politicians and and "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transexual Policy Co-ordinators" and giving the money to lecturers, who at least contibute to the UK Plc. I would also like to see the Scots paying their way through the university system rather than leaching off the English.

Edited by jonewer

1: Wages 2%

2: House prices 999999999999999999999(recurring)%

3: Food 23%

4: Gas 30495%

5: Electricity 5607%

6: Water rates 456%

7: Council tax 999999999999999999999(recurring) %

8: Phone bills 34%

9: TV license 9978% (mainly BBC taxes)

Hope this Helps!

:D

These are the most important people in the country. They should be getting 7-digit salaries.

They also get a cushy job for life, weeks off on holiday, early retirement and a fat final salary pension... if they want to apply their brains in the City for a 7-digit salary, nobody is stopping them from leaving!

They also get a cushy job for life, weeks off on holiday, early retirement and a fat final salary pension... if they want to apply their brains in the City for a 7-digit salary, nobody is stopping them from leaving!

I think you are probably mixing up teachers with university academics. Lecturers dont get months and months off on holiday. Once their undergrads are gone they still have their postgrads to look after and supervise and still have to fight for funding, pushing to get their work published, doing their own research etc.... The academics I have worked for worked far longer hours than anyone else I know and for far less reward.

Sure, they can go to the City but then what becomes of the next generation? Who is going to teach our engineers and scientists? Who is going to enable us to compete with nations like China and India who DO actually give a flying toss about education and the future of their nation?

PS. You do realise that you sound just like Tony Bliar endlessly pushing the private sector and private finance at the expense of both end results and value for money. And you wonder why this country is going down the shitter?

Sure, they can go to the City but then what becomes of the next generation? Who is going to teach our engineers and scientists?

It's a circular argument, many of such faculties have been closed down anyway.

PS. You do realise that you sound just like Tony Bliar endlessly pushing the private sector and private finance at the expense of both end results and value for money. And you wonder why this country is going down the shitter?

Hey, I'm not the one turning down a 13% pay rise!

I think you are probably mixing up teachers with university academics. Lecturers dont get months and months off on holiday. Once their undergrads are gone they still have their postgrads to look after and supervise and still have to fight for funding, pushing to get their work published, doing their own research etc.... The academics I have worked for worked far longer hours than anyone else I know and for far less reward.

Maybe it depends on the institution? From what I've seen, there's a massive divide between the post-doc researchers who have bad pay, low wages and short fixed-term contracts and the lecturers, who do seem to have jobs for life (like US tenure I guess). I've never seen one of the latter get fired; the worst ones just get left by themselves until they retire.

Having said that, I've met lots of very talented, very hardworking lecturers who do deserve to be paid well. Pity the system doesn't do a good job of distinguishing the good from the bad.

It's a circular argument, many of such faculties have been closed down anyway.

Yes, but this is an extremely bad thing! For Fooks sake man! Do you really think that closing down all our chemistry departments is a good way to fostering a modern day Newton or Brunell?

Ho hum. Even with a 20% pay rise, do you think we will be able to attract the best academics from across the globe? We are decades behind in funding our universities, this is one reason why Britian is no longer Great Britain.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

They are asking for a 30%+ pay rise. :blink:

Well, sort of...actually 13% over three years. And the pay is dismal considering the demands made on staff. People outside academia still think it's like the 1960s - dream on, it's as far removed from that as Stagecoach is from "On The Buses".

And like Laurejon you could sack all the staff but you'll find they are about the most difficult group of workers in the whole country to replace. Try finding thousands of competent staff with PhDs prepared to work long hours for pay that city workers wouldn't get out of bed for (Rachman's secretary earns more than a top professor). The point about educating the next generation is far from trivial. Sure, let's keep academic pay at sh!te levels and see all the top staff move to the US, Canada, Australia - and educate their next generation of skilled workers.

Or maybe we don't need graduates as we can all be Richard Branson or Alan Sugar - perhaps, but they started in a different era. High tech businesses are now far, far beyond the days when 19 years olds started firms in garages. In any case people like Branson make their money by trading, not by the sorts of innovation that drive productivity and wealth creation.

What is interesting is that this group have been treated so badly by Conservative and Labour govts that they are prepared to go to these lengths to get their point across. That might make people sit up and wonder why. A number of people on this board complain about passivity and a lack of protests and demonstrations against HPI. Well, you want a house, get more pay - these guys are doing just exactly that. Want a house, strike for more pay. Seems reasonable to me.

Alan Sugar -

Yer Fired. I'm sure the nation can surive on the basis of a failed computer manufacturer :lol:

Yes, but this is an extremely bad thing! For Fooks sake man! Do you really think that closing down all our chemistry departments is a good way to fostering a modern day Newton or Brunell?

Of course not, it's just another sign that this country is on its way out. Your original was of course "Who is going to teach our engineers and scientists?" my answer was to the point, we're not doing that anyway, they've shut the places down! By all means pay the media studies lecturers £100,000 a piece, how will that bring back our chemistry labs?