House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Breaking News: 85,000 V W Workers To Be Laid Off

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/06/01/story261439.html

Volkswagen offers payoffs to 85,000 workers

01/06/2006 - 16:24:30

Volkswagen AG said today it has offered payoffs to 85,000 workers in Germany if they agree to leave their jobs, the latest step in a drive to slash costs and boost profits at Europe’s biggest car maker.
Workers at six factories in western Germany who accept the offer will receive up to €247,700 each, depending on how long they have been employed and how quickly they leave, Volkswagen said.

With a soaring Euro the competitive edge must be dropping for EU exports? Their HPI may be in trouble now with this kind of news and soaring IR.

upto!!!

I'm guessing that will be management!

I guess you guys don't know that much about German labour laws and quite why they are on balance (in my view) a bad thing for a European economy. This will almost cripple VW manufacture in Germany and will only hasten the outsourcing to other countries.It's also what happens when the Local state authority owns a significant stake in the company (I do wonder how much it will cause problems at Porsche, what with them having just taken a 20% stake in VW).

My cynicism has it that this is a shot to try to keep Toyota from bidding for it.....

Edited by Rachman

We'll have to send the Army in to get Volkswagen up and running like we did in 1945! How kind of us. OH, didn't Germany stop paying war reparations in the 60's whereas the US (under the Lend-Lease) makes us pay every cent back?

I guess you guys don't know that much about German labour laws and quite why they are on balance (in my view) a bad thing for a European economy. This will almost cripple VW manufacture in Germany and will only hasten the outsourcing to other countries.It's also what happens when the Local state authority owns a significant stake in the company (I do wonder how much it will cause problems at Porsche, what with them having just taken a 20% stake in VW).

My cynicism has it that this is a shot to try to keep Toyota from bidding for it.....

Not a lot. I do know that in Germany they always get some sort of pay rise (at least in company I work for they did when everywhere else pay rises were frozen!)

VW = vanishing workers.

HP = house premiums

ROVER ridiculous overpayments versus engineering retreat.

DYSON dead youth see outsourced nation

MFI mission failed instantly

PEUGEOT people employed under great equity overrelience target

We'll have to send the Army in to get Volkswagen up and running like we did in 1945! How kind of us. OH, didn't Germany stop paying war reparations in the 60's whereas the US (under the Lend-Lease) makes us pay every cent back?

Are you talking about them ships that were on the way to the scrap yard that they sold us for top buck as if they were state of the art new ships.

America was helping Germany with goods at the beginning of the war but few want to talk about that now as Hollywood tries to rewrite history, well if I’ve seen it on TV then it must be true.

Have a look for the ibm machines sent over to help out with the organisation of the cleansing...

IBM - The Final Solution.

:rolleyes:

Its inevitable. We started all this in the 1980s here. In the end Germany will benefit from reducing its cost base.

Before you bite my head off may I remind everyone that when they buy a car they all seek the best deal they can get. If you really support workers earning high wages, please do not then indulge in 'shopping around' for the best deal, because that my freinds is hippocritical.

Its inevitable. We started all this in the 1980s here. In the end Germany will benefit from reducing its cost base.

Before you bite my head off may I remind everyone that when they buy a car they all seek the best deal they can get. If you really support workers earning high wages, please do not then indulge in 'shopping around' for the best deal, because that my freinds is hippocritical.

It's us "evil" car dealers who lose out when customers negitiate a discount - not the manufacturer, we still have to pay the manufacturer full price for them.

The same evil car dealers who as an industry average struggle to get a 2% return on investment, so a 5% return from BTL sounds great to us!