House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sam

I Hate The Words Affordable Housing

I have to get someting off my chest :angry:

It started again this morning when i was watching the local news, and i am not completly sure why this one thing makes me so angry, the words AFFORDABLE HOUSING.

I have this picture of some low life Mp such as Prescott handing over this cheap crappy white shoebox to a couple that probably deserve much better, but are supposed to go on bended kness(not too close to Prescott though).

Affordable housing because 99.9% of the rest of the housing is unaffordable, so lets stick a tiny little plaster on the problem and make out we are doing something.

Affordable housing that can now join the ranks of people that have to get their kids free dinners, lets heap stigma on them as well, "those are the scum that cannot afford real houses".

At the family get together, everyone bragging about there 3 bedder this and three bedder that, then you hear "and how's your affordable house" maybe one day it will be as unafforable as ours if you are lucky, even though they bought it off the council.

I hate the words affordable housing, to me it stinks of failure, so stop putting it on the news as if it is doing something about the housing expensive housing problem.

FTB's do not want these silly little schemes, and lets be honest it has nothing to do with helping FTB's, it has more to do with proping up a over priced market.

The only true afforable housing will be when we get the CRASH, then i will fall in love with the word affordable housing again.

Aaahhhhh thats better :)

I feel better for you saying that also.

I hate the expression "property ladder" Since once Ive bought, I wont be going anywhere apart from possibly sideways, It smacks of aspiration, which does not apply to me, I only want a house

I hate the expression "property ladder" Since once Ive bought, I wont be going anywhere apart from possibly sideways, It smacks of aspiration, which does not apply to me, I only want a house

Same here (again).

It started again this morning when i was watching the local news, and i am not completly sure why this one thing makes me so angry, the words AFFORDABLE HOUSING.

Couldn't agree more.

This phrase, as used by the government, by definition means all other property is unaffordable.

Shouldn't they be doing something about that instead of building a subclass of smaller property. Especially in light of the shocking revelations of the Shelter report into the cramped living conditions of many UK families and the impact on health.

Forget "affordable housing", it's time to make all homes affordable again.

You can release land, grant planning and build private or "market" homes, respectable people will then buy them pay council tax and generally be quite happy.

Or you can take a different approach, some quango or housing authority can build a socially engineered estate (hopefully paid for by some of the above), the end result is generally small flats all crammed together, something that requires additional service fees. The secret is to then perpetually let them out and create dependent people, or you can even do a part-ownership thing, give them the illusion of ownership despite the fact there is no after-market or real market demand, if property prices rise or fall the buyer loses out regardless.

The government has chosen the latter, dependent people make good voters, and collectivism enforces a form of social control.

Aylesbury1.gif

When it was tried before

This phrase, as used by the government, by definition means all other property is unaffordable.

As in :

"Work is underway on a large urban extension at Cambridge Northern Fringe, called Arbury Park, where approximately 900 homes will be built on land in South Cambridgeshire. 30% of these homes (approximately 270) will be affordable"

I wonder if the author noticed the irony

:lol:

I agree, it's the same idea from the 60's all over again.

Cheap slum housing/flats, described as state executive/modern/affordable.. etc etc.

Only this time round the building's are going to errode at a much faster rate, given their cheap construction.

They'll all be council run leaky, smelly, dirty crack den's in 10 years time...

As in :

"Work is underway on a large urban extension at Cambridge Northern Fringe, called Arbury Park, where approximately 900 homes will be built on land in South Cambridgeshire. 30% of these homes (approximately 270) will be affordable"

Indeed, and the other 70% will be unaffordably partly because they have the added burden of paying for the 30%. Section 106 of the planning act is insidious, government have abdicated their responsibility to provide public housing and dump it into the lap of the private sector. New build estates basically sum up a "design by committee" mindset, they are bureaucratic meddling and social engineering made real... the narrow dead end roads, the private warrens of "shared drives", the absense of front gardens, their crappy density targets, their "affordable" housing, the crappy locations and surroundings, their three storey terraces commanding £400k, their standard designs from one tip of the country to the other, the shoddy materials and standards, their regulation 1.5 parking spaces, the fact they cannot afford to leave any patch of ground empty for a bit of grass or a few trees, the total absence of supporting infrastructure, oh, and you also get a water meter to boot.

No wonder the existing house stock is so expensive, the supply of ever smaller, ever crappier new homes makes older homes look palatial by comparison. A 1950's council house will sport a larger garden than a contemporary £500k "executive home".

I agree, it's the same idea from the 60's all over again.

Cheap slum housing/flats, described as state executive/modern/affordable.. etc etc.

Except it's not cheap for the end user (victim), they now have to pay £150k for the privilege, along with service fees and they have full liability for maintenance, including whenever the housing authority decides to arbitrarily bill you for £20k to replace the roof, £5k for your work and £15k to cover your chavish neighbours. The previous generation of slums had an advantage, at least people could run away and escape, now they're expected to purchase their own small part of the impending hades.

This is what happens if you allow other people to run your life.

Will NuLabour go down as the party that killed the aspirations of a whole generation? A country where hard work and commitment never went unpunished?

Edited by BuyingBear

Except it's not cheap for the end user (victim), they now have to pay £150k for the privilege, along with service fees and they have full liability for maintenance, including whenever the housing authority decides to arbitrarily bill you for £20k to replace the roof, £5k for your work and £15k to cover your chavish neighbours. The previous generation of slums had an advantage, at least people could run away and escape, now they're expected to purchase their own small part of the impending hades.

I agree, these flat's are going to prove very expensive...

I have to get someting off my chest :angry:

Affordable housing is the "Tesco Value" brand of the property market. Except that instead of buying a tin of beans at a cheaper price, you only buy half the tin, and if you have some more money later on Tescos will sell you the other half of the tin.

Billy Shears