House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Alarm At Report Leak On Nu Labour's Council Tax Plans

http://www.petersfieldtoday.co.uk/ViewArti...ticleID=1538597

Alarm at report leak

East Hampshire MP Michael Mates has expressed his concern over leaked Government reports which have revealed secret plans to increase council tax bills on homes with attractive features and home improvements.
Labour ministers are this month revaluating local tax bills in Northern Ireland and under the new system, from April 2007, local tax bills will be set at a percentage of your properties value, like an individual annual stamp duty.
Michael Mates, MP for East Hampshire, said: "Northern Ireland is now being used as a testing ground for Prescott's tax inspectors and the levying of a new house price tax.
For full story see the May 24 edition of the Bordon Post.
01 June 2006

Another blow to inflation (unreported in CPI of course).

...and under the new system, from April 2007, local tax bills will be set at a percentage of your properties value, like an individual annual stamp duty.

I wonder how long before they abandon the scheme when house prices start plummeting??? :rolleyes:

http://www.petersfieldtoday.co.uk/ViewArti...ticleID=1538597

Alarm at report leak

East Hampshire MP Michael Mates has expressed his concern over leaked Government reports which have revealed secret plans to increase council tax bills on homes with attractive features and home improvements.
Labour ministers are this month re-valuating local tax bills in Northern Ireland and under the new system, from April 2007, local tax bills will be set at a percentage of your properties value, like an individual annual stamp duty.
Michael Mates, MP for East Hampshire, said: "Northern Ireland is now being used as a testing ground for Prescott's tax inspectors and the levying of a new house price tax.
For full story see the May 24 edition of the Bordon Post.
01 June 2006

Another blow to inflation (unreported in CPI of course).

This surprises me about Michael Mates. Despite being a Tory, he has always come over to me as having some intelligence. It now seems I overestimated him.

The truth about the Council Tax revaluation is this. As the TORY - that's correct - TORY government who passed the act creating this tax intended, a regular revaluation is necessary. The purpose is obvious although some people seem to have difficulty understanding it. If a property has changed in value, for whatever reason, then for comparison purposes it needs to be placed in the correct band. The reasons could be e.g. an extension added, more popular due to the location of a 'good' school etc. etc.

The revaluation does not, of course, need to have any effect on the total Council Tax collected by that council. All that banding does is to ensure that the burden is shared out 'fairly'. If the council chooses to increase it's take at this time, it has nothing, whatsoever, to do with revaluation.

These facts may not fit in with some people's unresearched ideas. To avoid doubt - The TORY created legislation requires regular revaluations to ensure that this TORY introduced tax stays relatively fair. What's the problem?

p

This surprises me about Michael Mates. Despite being a Tory, he has always come over to me as having some intelligence. It now seems I overestimated him.

The truth about the Council Tax revaluation is this. As the TORY - that's correct - TORY government who passed the act creating this tax intended, a regular revaluation is necessary. The purpose is obvious although some people seem to have difficulty understanding it. If a property has changed in value, for whatever reason, then for comparison purposes it needs to be placed in the correct band. The reasons could be e.g. an extension added, more popular due to the location of a 'good' school etc. etc.

The revaluation does not, of course, need to have any effect on the total Council Tax collected by that council. All that banding does is to ensure that the burden is shared out 'fairly'. If the council chooses to increase it's take at this time, it has nothing, whatsoever, to do with revaluation.

These facts may not fit in with some people's unresearched ideas. To avoid doubt - The TORY created legislation requires regular revaluations to ensure that this TORY introduced tax stays relatively fair. What's the problem?

p

Yes, of course it will be revenue neutral and the NuLab filth will miss an opportnity to screw a bit more cash out of us...

Do you think this will make people think more carefully about how much they spend on their homes?

I know its kind of counter intuitive - but the size of numbers people casually talk about tend to become blase.

Maybe it is £350k for a small house - the stretch to £375 is not huge and with a little enabling action becomes easily reached.

However if they knew that the coucil tax on a 1/4mill property would be £2.5kpa but on 1/3rd mill would be say £3.5k I think that council tax cost would seem much more relevant and immediate than the extra 80k...borrowing.

Well nothing to worry about for anyone who's bought a newbuild recently then , there's fook all attractive about them.

D :D

Ah the ol "tories wot done it" defence.

Of course after 9 plus years in power the labour party are still entirely unable to control their own policies. Good job the tories had thought of everything in advance so labour didnt have to come up with anything of their own.. If you were to crack open Tony Blairs head you'd find a tiny Margaret Thatcher piloting him with levers n' stuff.

Must be great to support a party like that Pat.

Ah the ol "tories wot done it" defence.

Hate to state the bleedin' obvious, Dab, but the Council Tax was brought in by the Tories. It was brought in to replace that memorable predecesor, Poll Tax.

Are you ashamed of the Tories' Council Tax, Dab? You shouldn't be. It was one of their most sensible ideas. Rare, admittedly. Just ask the British Parliamentary voters - Tories - 200 seats, Labour - 350 seats.

p

Yes, of course it will be revenue neutral and the NuLab filth will miss an opportnity to screw a bit more cash out of us...

FFS. patprimer, you are spot on. 100% agree with everything you wrote - which is because you are stating the facts, the researched and thought through facts.

Council tax depends on the band you are in AND the amount in total that is collected.

Re-valuation affects the bands - which is fair, the old lady who has had no money and let her house deteriorate since the last valuation (early 90s?) should pay less than me, because I have extended and refurbished my house making it better than hers!

This has zero to do with how much money government decides should be taken (though it is possible they will try to "hide" the rises in the re-banding.)

Gordon actually hasn't noticed that house prices are about to plummet. He obviously believes he has solved the riddle of boom 'n' bust. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Or maybe he wants to lock in council tax valuations at 2004-2005 prices.

FFS. patprimer, you are spot on. 100% agree with everything you wrote - which is because you are stating the facts, the researched and thought through facts.

Council tax depends on the band you are in AND the amount in total that is collected.

Re-valuation affects the bands - which is fair, the old lady who has had no money and let her house deteriorate since the last valuation (early 90s?) should pay less than me, because I have extended and refurbished my house making it better than hers!

This has zero to do with how much money government decides should be taken (though it is possible they will try to "hide" the rises in the re-banding.)

Or maybe the government is looking for a way to tax the gains made on house price increases in the future?

Lets face it - this governement want to screw us out of every f*cking penny we earn! And what do we got for these taxes?

A NHS thats in tatters

A debt mountain of £1.3 TRILLION!

Stealth Taxes

Corrupt CPI figures

Lies and deception

Deciept and denial

A war we DID NOT WANT

Bribery - Family Credit/Tax Credit/Going for a sh*t CREDIT!

A system where a 2nd Home owner gets tax breaks when a FTB gets fook all

I have never known a government take SO MUCH MONEY and waste the whole lot!!!

London DOME!!!

3G Airwaves scandal!!!!

Overpaying Credits to people when they dont even know why they are getting it (Oh yeah, that bribe thing again!)

They are F*CKING USELESS, INCOMPETENT, ANTI-BRITISH F*CKWITS!!!

I am even considering TORY now and I DEPISE THEM!!! But somehow NuLabour make them look great!

TB

Edited by teddyboy

Hate to state the bleedin' obvious, Dab, but the Council Tax was brought in by the Tories. It was brought in to replace that memorable predecesor, Poll Tax.

Are you ashamed of the Tories' Council Tax, Dab? You shouldn't be. It was one of their most sensible ideas. Rare, admittedly. Just ask the British Parliamentary voters - Tories - 200 seats, Labour - 350 seats.

p

IIRC

Tories 32% of votes

Labour 35% of votes

Not quite so rare eh?

Also, the council tax is not bad per se. What is bad is that we have had inflation-busting increases year after year after year under Labour. Just like we have had inflation-busting increases year after year after year for public transport and just about everything else that doesnt show up in the inflation figures. This includes the budget deficit by the way. Thats right the deficit. As you may recall, there was a surplus when Brown took over.

There were a lot of stupid ideas floating about. Many such as paying more for your Council tax if you have a fish pond were bad for wildlife. Does having a summer house really mean you should pay more for local services ? If so why aren't those in massive houses paying a fair proportion extra not the small amount they pay at present.

Council tax is just another way of helping the very rich to not pay a fair proportion towards general taxation, just as the limit on NI contributions. Since many of the riches people in this country pay no income tax due to the many loopholes Gordon can't close, its the rest of the working population that pick up the bill for Iraq, tax credit **** ups, etc etc

IIRC

Tories 32% of votes

Labour 35% of votes

Not quite so rare eh?

Well, perhaps someone should tell your Tory friends that the idea is not to go for national vote share but to win seats! Haven't they noticed? If they - the Tories - want to waste their efforts gathering votes in unwinnable seats, that's their problem.

One thing is certain, the Tories are the unlikeliest party to call for Proportional Representation because they know that it would keep them out of office for the forseeable future.

Come to think of it, they're out of office for the forseeable future in any case. Just read these recent Peter Kelner comments on the YouGov site -

The Conservative lead of six points is the highest that YouGov has recorded since we started tracking voting intentions four years ago – but only just. On three occasions we found the Tories five points ahead under Michael Howard – and within eighteen months of last year's election campaign. He could not sustain it until polling day.

The level of Conservative support, at 37%, is nothing exciting. It exceeded this figure in seven separate YouGov surveys during Howard's leadership, and twice under Iain Duncan Smith. An effective opposition ought to be scoring 45-50% when the Government of the day is in trouble. Labour was achieving these levels throughout 1990 – only to fall back after Thatcher left office, and lose the 1992 election.

p

patprimer,

You seem to display pride in being a Labour voter. As a Labour voter you obviously supported a party in the last election that went into Iraq and butchered thousands of women and children.

Quite frankly i'd be ashamed to vote Labour. You are clearly not which makes you scum i'm afraid.

patprimer,

You seem to display pride in being a Labour voter. As a Labour voter you obviously supported a party in the last election that went into Iraq and butchered thousands of women and children.

Quite frankly i'd be ashamed to vote Labour. You are clearly not which makes you scum i'm afraid.

You are making baseless assumptions.

p

You are making baseless assumptions.

p

Are you denying you're a Labour voter?

Are you denying Labour ordered the armed forces to do their dirty work in Iraq?

Are you denying thousands of women and children have been butchered in Labours' war?

Are you denying that to vote for the party that did this is the behaviour of scum?

...feel free to explain how i'm wrong on any of those points.

Well, perhaps someone should tell your Tory friends that the idea is not to go for national vote share but to win seats! Haven't they noticed? If they - the Tories - want to waste their efforts gathering votes in unwinnable seats, that's their problem.

Riiiight. So the aim of New Labour has nothing to do with actual democracy? Winning the most votes and a mandate from of the majority being an absolutely foreign concept. By percentage of the electorate, Labour should have roughly a third of the seats in Parliament, not two-thirds. Dont even think about talking about elections and decmocracy you cheating, lying, murdering, dictatorial, torture-abetting, privatising, corrupt sleazy, warmongering shitbags

One thing is certain, the Tories are the unlikeliest party to call for Proportional Representation because they know that it would keep them out of office for the forseeable future.

erm... it would bring them a lot closer to the current swindle

Are you denying you're a Labour voter?

Are you denying Labour ordered the armed forces to do their dirty work in Iraq?

Are you denying thousands of women and children have been butchered in Labours' war?

Are you denying that to vote for the party that did this is the behaviour of scum?

...feel free to explain how i'm wrong on any of those points.

I can't believe that you could have been as p|issed as you sound as early as 10:45 p.m. So, I have to accept that you were sober and that this must be your attempt at discussion.

Firstly, it doesn't matter one iota what or who I voted for. One thing that does matter, though, is that the British public have had the opportunity to vote for a parliament after all the claims that you make were fully aired. Having considered your arguments (after they were much more competently put, by the way) the voters chose to give only minimal support for those parties who oppose(d) the war. If your assertions had any substance, then it would have been simple to convince the electorate to vote your way. Would it not?

Neither you nor I may be totally happy with the British democratic process but it's the only one we've got. And, we have to remember that each of the three main parties have talked about PR when they had the opportunity to bring it about. None of them did.

p

Dont even think about talking about elections and decmocracy you cheating, lying, murdering, dictatorial, torture-abetting, privatising, corrupt sleazy, warmongering shitbags

Apart from that, you're quite happy with Nu Labour! ;););)

patprimer,

I was sober last night and i'm still sober this morning. You can use typical labour spin, lies and deceit to mask what boils down to a pretty basic set of fundamentals...

a) the Labour party deceived the UK and sent our troops into a war that resulted in the butchery of thousands

of innocent Iraqi women and children.

B) you are clearly a proud supporter of the same Labour party.

conclusion...

c) you are scum.

Dress it up anyway you like but i'd like you to knock over points a and b if you can. Point c is clearly subjective on my part (but I would contend that most decent human beings would agree with my conclusion).

However, after reading your blind support of Blair and Brown I don't expect you to grasp the corollary of points a and b which leads us to c.

Just think how much our reserves would be worth right now if they were still in gold... and not merkin funny money...

Thanks Gordon.

Point c is clearly subjective on my part ...

All your points are subjective or are assumptions. I repeat, my choice of party is neither here nor there. You may think that you've been conned by the Labour Party but the British public, as a whole, do not. They had a choice of voting for an anti-war party but chose not to do so - by a huge majority. You may not like their decision and are sure of your view of the war but that doesn't make your opinion right. Your strongly held view of the Iraq War is a minority one. It's proved by the election result. So, accept it. Respecting the opinions of others is a sign of growing up.

p