House Price Crash Forum

You Can't Fight The Market

HOLA441

a long time ago, one of the most important lessons I ever learned while trading the stock markets I learned early.

"You can't fight the market".

It doesn't matter who you are or how big you are, the market is bigger. Even governments can't stop a market in full flow.

Just as nothing any of us could do could stop the market when it was rising pre-2005, nothing anyone can do now can stop it falling.

It's just too big.

And if you are 'long and wrong' - you need to head for the exit fast. At least if you get out alive you can lick your wounds and come back to fight another day.

An obvious point, but one I feel worth stating as we begin the global cycle of interest rate rises that will crucify those 'entrepreneurs' (read: gamblers) who over-leveraged under the expectation that '20% per year' was somehow sustainable.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Oh blimey no, he sounds a lot older than me.

I'm in Sussex

Plus, i'd never want to be a landlord in this country. If I had that sort of money to hand i'd be living anywhere other than blighty.

He he.

As for 'holding back the tide'... to me, with the perspective of not wanting to own in the UK anymore, and having a FAB time in italy, I'm irresistably reminded of Nick Leeson raging into the SIMEX pits like some kind of blubbery terminator, screaming BUY BUY BUY as all around him, sensible singos sold whatever they could get their hands on to 'that fat western moron'...

He singlehandedly propped the market up for 6 months with fraud and giant iron balls. The cost? Barings Bank.

It's about to be repeated, but on a much larger scale. Oh boy.

Amazing times to be living thru!

HOLA446
Guest Winners and Losers

He he.

As for 'holding back the tide'... to me, with the perspective of not wanting to own in the UK anymore, and having a FAB time in italy, I'm irresistably reminded of Nick Leeson raging into the SIMEX pits like some kind of blubbery terminator, screaming BUY BUY BUY as all around him, sensible singos sold whatever they could get their hands on to 'that fat western moron'...

He singlehandedly propped the market up for 6 months with fraud and giant iron balls. The cost? Barings Bank.

It's about to be repeated, but on a much larger scale. Oh boy.

Amazing times to be living thru!

Tu se italiano?

HOLA447

Dont understand the point of this posting.

The market is hardly falling through the floor is it?

In fact, my opinion is that there are some interesting buying opportunities out there at the moment.

Take aim, and ready that trigger.

Whilst the housing market continues to flatline there's money to be made elsewhere.

Edited by DonnieDarker

HOLA448

The point is, DonnieDimwit, that there are severe limits to market manipulation. The current 'flatline' is a miracle of plate spinning. In fact, it's Gordenron Brownes' only 'miracle'.

And not even by devoting the entire tax take of your chav island into propping it up can he keep those plates spinning much longer.

Nope, I'm not italian. I'm just enjoying the weather and tax advantages here while I decide where to buy when the market has collapsed globally. Next stop France.

HOLA449

The point is, DonnieDimwit, that there are severe limits to market manipulation. The current 'flatline' is a miracle of plate spinning. In fact, it's Gordenron Brownes' only 'miracle'.

And not even by devoting the entire tax take of your chav island into propping it up can he keep those plates spinning much longer.

Nope, I'm not italian. I'm just enjoying the weather and tax advantages here while I decide where to buy when the market has collapsed globally. Next stop France.

Clearly you've been away long enough to forget the English tradition of manners.

You go on watching and waiting and watching and waiting...

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Clearly you've been away long enough to forget the English tradition of manners.

You go on watching and waiting and watching and waiting...

The Italians are impossibly rude. And they will (have done) try to rip you off at every turn. Went to a civil wedding there last year and the lazy beggar doing the ceremony didn't have a shirt on under his shiny suit! Questo Qui?

"YEs, eet ees 10 euros for lunch! Oh? No! now you have eaten I mean 10 euros each!" Shudder.

HOLA4413