House Price Crash Forum

U K Job Losses Now At Record 23 Year Pace

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm.../01/ixcity.html

'World Cup effect' fails to save employment on the high street

By Edmund Conway (Filed: 01/06/2006)

High street stores have laid off a
record number of staff
, amid fears that the much-vaunted "World Cup effect" may fail to bounce them back into the black.
Employment in the retail sector dropped last month at the fastest rate since comparable records began 23 years
ago, according to business lobby group the CBI.
The job cuts were a direct consequence of massive discounts and cost reductions on the high street, which has suffered one of the
worst winter's trading periods since the Second World War

"Record" job losses no longer underpinning the EAs last hope for more HPI: employment.

Without jobs, house sales and high rents are dead in the water.

Edit:

However, David Hillier, chief UK economist at Barclays Capital, said the jump in TV sales was encouraging. He said: "We would make one simple point here. And that is: if households can afford to spend around £2,000 on a plasma TV screen, they are clearly not as stretched as some would make out."

Wake up and smell the coffee David. They borrow the money and in a miracle economy borrowing has no limits. "Affordability" is not something people take into account where the miraculous is at work.

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

If Gordon does not hike at the next muppet meeting it will be an admission that recession has begun and the economy is too weak for a hike.

Does anyone know where I can find a graphic of UK unemployment including May?

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Park Cakes I think are shedding 4000 jobs in the north west.

Park Cakes sheds 425 jobs
NORTHERN Foods said it intends to sell off Park Cakes, which employs 1,860 people, and in the short term cream cake production will stop in Oldham to concentrate on other areas like pizzas and sandwiches.
The Oldham Advertiser exclusively reported the potential for job losses on May 25.
Most of the 425 jobs to go from the cream cakes line are filled by workers on temporary contracts.
Chief executive Pat O'Driscoll said: "The company will be radically refocused to
drive improved shareholder returns.
First published by the Oldham Advertiser
Edited by watchinandwaiting

HOLA448
Park Cakes sheds 425 jobs
NORTHERN Foods said it intends to sell off Park Cakes, which employs 1,860 people, and in the short term cream cake production will stop in Oldham to concentrate on other areas like pizzas and sandwiches.
The Oldham Advertiser exclusively reported the potential for job losses on May 25.
Most of the 425 jobs to go from the cream cakes line are filled by workers on temporary contracts.
Chief executive Pat O'Driscoll said: "The company will be radically refocused to
drive improved shareholder returns.
"
First published by the Oldham Advertiser

Whoops out by a factor of 10.. But its ok

http://www.oldhamadvertiser.co.uk/news/s/1..._reach_250.html

Council job losses may not reach 250

PROJECTIONS of 250 job losses at Oldham Council may have been "on the high side".

285 jobs lost at building firm

http://www.oldhamadvertiser.co.uk/news/s/2...rm.htmlOLDHAM’S number one company announced 285 redundancies on Monday after it went into receivership, leaving a question mark over the future of a new children’s centre.

Its well grim oop north.

HOLA449

I have heard about lots of job losses in my area of late TVR etc, and now i hear that the local authority is getting rid of workers as they have realised they are very bloated and the money has dried up from CG.

There is somthing bubberling away under the surface and it does not smell nice, if you think you have a bubble down south, you want to be hear, it's basicley a low wage economy with mega house prices 2 bed terrace house going for 90 odd k a few years ago they were 38 to 4k and even that was OTT (IMO)

I fear the north will be hit very hard

HOLA4410
Guest Bart of Darkness
now i hear that the local authority is getting rid of workers as they have realised they are very bloated and the money has dried up from CG.

Oh oh! :o

HOLA4411