House Price Crash Forum
Guest The_Oldie

Property Market Slows On Fears Of Rate Hikes

In the Daily Mail they reported that there was no reason for panic.

Hmmm. Largest ever global Ponzi scheme running out of new money. Last fools on board.

As Corporal Jones might say:

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!!

:D

I don't understand why the Daily Mail would bother to say don't panic, I thought that creating panic among their reader ship was their raison d'etre.

In the last 18 months all I have heard from the press is that house prices are rising.

But all I see locally are steady small falls. (SE London/Kent).

Amounting to a decent saving all's said and done.

This article is not empty in content, like most ... it is pointing out some interesting but easy to understand facts.

If press sentiment is changing, what kind of falls are possible? Or indeed happening right now?

With articles like this leading the way, I see myself buying in early 2009, late 2008.

Hey, I'm not greedy.

The interesting point for me is that 'talk' of rate rises alone is sufficient to cool the market.

Imagine the fun when the rate does actually rise... B)

The interesting point for me is that 'talk' of rate rises alone is sufficient to cool the market.

Imagine the fun when the rate does actually rise... B)

Yes, they do seem to have admitted it has had a pretty powerful effect.

The change in fixed rate deals has done more damage than first thought perhaps?

Experts claim the threat of TWO rate hikes by summer has cooled the market and that speculation has already seen some borrowers raise fixed-rate mortgages.

Do they mean "some lenders", or do borrowers set the interest rates now?

Edited by spleeper

Experts claim the threat of TWO rate hikes by summer has cooled the market and that speculation has already seen some borrowers raise fixed-rate mortgages.

I never get this bit.

If you thought rates might come down but weren't sure, you'd hold off buying a house in case they did, right ?

Likewise if you think rates might come up, you're more likely to pile in before (in case) they do ?

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Likewise if you think rates might come up, you're more likely to pile in before (in case) they do ?

Not if you intend to take out the biggest mortgage you can get, that would be financial suicide.

Only if you can get a fixed rate, donse't help with a variable rate obviously. Most fixed rates seem to have priced in one or two rate rises this year already. Ie, too late.

Do they mean "some lenders", or do borrowers set the interest rates now?

Funny how I read that a few times without noticing. I'd like to borrow some money and set the interest rate.