House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Levy process

I've Given Up - I Can't Wait Any Longer

I've been watching and waiting but I've decided the time has come, and now I have to ..... say that I still think house prices are very high given the current precarious state of the economy, and I think there is at least a fair chance that they could go down soon.

I've been watching and waiting but I've decided the time has come, and now I have to ..... say that I still think house prices are very high given the current precarious state of the economy, and I think there is at least a fair chance that they could go down soon.

Precarious!!!? GDP is looking pretty solid, if anything the risk is that UK and the world economies will have a problem containing growth.

Some officical govt stats about the UK economy.

I hope everyone is pleased to read these figures. The UK is still doing OK.

GDP grew by 0.6 per cent in the first quarter of 2006, with growth unchanged from the last quarter of 2005. The level of GDP is now 2.2 per cent higher than the first quarter of 2005.

The output of the production industries grew by 0.8 per cent in the latest quarter. This is the strongest growth since the third quarter of 1999. Within production, manufacturing grew by 0.7 per cent, mining and quarrying grew by 0.7 per cent and utilities grew by 1.8 per cent.

Construction output rose by 0.7 per cent in the first quarter of 2006 and is now 1.0 per cent above the level seen in the first quarter of 2005.

The number of people in employment for the three months ending in March 2006 was 28.90 million, the highest figure since comparable records began in 1971. Employment increased by 127,000 over the quarter and by 217,000 over the year. The quarterly increase in employment was mainly due to more women workers.

Total hours worked per week were 924.6 million. This is up 2.6 million over the quarter and up 4.4 million over the year.

The annual rate of growth in average earnings (the AEI), excluding bonuses, was 3.8 per cent in March 2006, unchanged from the previous month. Including bonuses it was 4.2 per cent, up from 4.1 per cent the previous month.
Business investment for the first quarter of 2006 is provisionally estimated to be 2.8 per cent higher than the same period of last year and 1.7 per cent higher than the previous quarter.
Edited by Without_a_Paddle

Some officical govt stats about the UK economy.

I hope everyone is pleased to read these figures. The UK is still doing OK.

Were those figures all from the Office of National Lies Statistics?

I wouldn't trust any stats that come from this government.

Were those figures all from the Office of National Lies Statistics?

I wouldn't trust any stats that come from this government.

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

What's that bl**dy noise?

Oh, hang on, it's just the denial detectors going off.

Probably just a practice drill.....

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

What's that bl**dy noise?

Oh, hang on, it's just the denial detectors going off.

Probably just a practice drill.....

:lol:

I wouldn't bother, everyone's out to get them. In fact it's all an evil American/Zionist plot to take over the world.

Thanks for the stats BTW, interesting reading.

Why now?

Precarious!!!? GDP is looking pretty solid, if anything the risk is that UK and the world economies will have a problem containing growth.

What a load of a old tosh, Golden Shower.

It amuses me when various 'experts' trumpet the success of the British economy and laugh at the French. Well let's look at the facts; British GDP '05 - 1.8%, French GDP '05 - 1.4%. So are we really that much better?

Furthermore, considering that the British 'miracle' is built upon such precarious sands as public spending and a debt fuelled shopping spree, I'd say that the French will ride out the coming recession better than us.

Question for Golden Shower or whoever. Can you name me one part of the British economy (apart from flat panel TVs) which is looking healthy?

Edited by shermanator

What a load of a old tosh, Golden Shower.

It amuses me when various 'experts' trumpet the success of the British economy and laugh at the French. Well let's look at the facts; British GDP '05 - 1.8%, French GDP '05 - 1.4%. So are we really that much better?

Furthermore, considering that the British 'miracle' is built upon such precarious sands as public spending and a debt fuelled shopping spree, I'd say that the French will ride out the coming recession better than us.

Question for Golden Shower or whoever. Can you name me one part of the British economy (apart from flat panel TVs) which is looking healthy?

Here's a few;

Financial services (oh yes, I'm raking the money in)

Oil & Gas

Utilities (anyone notice that UU posted a whopping increase in profits, as did SPW?)

Pharmatceuticals

Aerospace

The French do many things well, but they've lost their marbles when it comes to running their economy. Very inflexible, even French emloyers are wary of taking on more staff. I take it you haven't noticed the high levels of debt the French economy is carrying?

All real growth statistics are created by taking the measurable nominal growth and deflating them by government estimates of relevant inflation.

Which is why our growth figures are a load of b0ll0cks.

If you deflate it by the official inflation measure (CPI) then you end up with a bit of growth.... nice.

But if you deflate it using the 'real' level of inflation that the government choose not to measure with their crooked CPI scam then you'd probably find negative growth (or slowth?).

thing is, even if the number of people in work is at it's highest and interest rates are at their lowest...house prices are still ridiculous!

i live in Bristol and i'm not going to pay £130k for a tiny hovel, with the risk that interest rates will rise and that i would end up being repossesed and losing my money. I really don't see any point in that as an exercise!

Financial services (oh yes, I'm raking the money in)

Oil & Gas

Utilities (anyone notice that UU posted a whopping increase in profits, as did SPW?)

Pharmatceuticals

Aerospace

Two of those are ramping inflation - not really very good examples.

Edited by cupidstunt

:lol::lol::lol:

This thread was supposed to raise a laugh. I didn't expect serious answers.

It was meant to be a take-off of the "I've given up, can't wait any longer, I'm gonna buy" threads.

Edited by Levy process

Yawn

How many more of these posts do we have to put up with!?

:lol::lol::lol:

It was meant to be a take-off of the "I've given up, can't wait any longer, I'm gonna buy" threads.

It would have paid me to have read on before posting :rolleyes:

I think a lot of people, myself included are in that state whereby they are thinking of jumping in. So I don't think a post in jest to mock these people is entirely deserved on this forum. If you have a point to make then make it, if you want to mock others because you think you're better and more clued up then again i ask you make it with some valid points.

People are giving up, people cannot wait any longer... I don't see anything funny about that in the slightest

I think a lot of people, myself included are in that state whereby they are thinking of jumping in. So I don't think a post in jest to mock these people is entirely deserved on this forum. If you have a point to make then make it, if you want to mock others because you think you're better and more clued up then again i ask you make it with some valid points.

People are giving up, people cannot wait any longer... I don't see anything funny about that in the slightest

I tend to agree, thats how desperate people are feeling, I am starting to wonder why the hell I deecided to wait, the likleyhood of price falls now looks so remote and the forecasts at the front look no longer valid

Don't be so po-faced about it!

I don't think there is anything funny about the reality of being priced out of the housing market, as you will see if you read just about any of my posts on here. I'm as indignant as anyone about the social injustice aspects of it, and of the way debtors are getting away with debt, BTL is crushing people etc.

But it was just a light hearted joke! Come on! Can't you laugh about the bad things in life too? I find it helps a lot.

Now, I'll admit that I'm not as strongly affected by the ludicrous state of affairs that is the current housing market, because I "own" a house (in the sense of owning some of it while the bank owns the rest until the mortgage is repaid). But I am affected to some extent, because I want to trade up, so for all the reasons discussed on here at length, that is also far more difficult that it might be, albeit not as difficult as being an FTB. But perhaps because I have at least some insulation from HPI, and so have not got as much to lose by it, the fact that I still take a strong stance that the current situation is morally wrong is beneficial. Perhaps if more home "owners" felt like I do, things would be better all round.

I HAVE NEVER MOCKED ANYONE for being less clued up about the housing market than myself. On the contrary, I've mocked the BTL emperors for claiming to be clued up, when often they are just lucky, and I've chided them when they rub people's noses in their own success in business if that is what it really was.

I don't know what will happen. But I do know that what I see around me with regard to house prices I consider to be morally and socially wrong. I attack stupid arguments as I see them, and I sympathise with the losers in this situation, of which I am one, if perhaps not in such a difficult position as others less lucky (yes I describe my position as lucky - it involved no skill on my part that I bought a house years ago).

Please - lighten up!

Edited by Levy process

Don't be so po-faced about it!

Please - lighten up!

Have taken chill pill, a feel much better now :P I think that comment was just a red flag to a bull given my current state of mind and post. Yes you are right you have to laugh at this, otherwise you'll just end up going insane... which i don't think i'm far from :unsure:

I tend to agree, thats how desperate people are feeling, I am starting to wonder why the hell I deecided to wait, the likleyhood of price falls now looks so remote and the forecasts at the front look no longer valid

Strange, as far as I am concerned I think it becomes more and more likely!

TWT

how can GDP growth of one-point-something % be squared with a growth in the money supply of 10%+ per annum?

Are the government siphoning off 9% of the money supply each year to a Swiss bank account? Or perhaps the velocity of the new money is very low due to people borrowing new money into existence and not being able to repay it? Are we in a limbo between the point where money is loaned, not repaid, but not yet written off as a bad debt?

High levels of debt, higher IR's - do you want me to go on?

imagine waiting to buy a house like having a good poop and waiting for a good page of the paper to release the main shipment.

i usually find that a good first page, then a follow up story on page 2 does the trick. by the time i get to the celebs im a spent force.

and i often wipe the cacka with the face of a sportsperson if theres no bog paper left.

trouble is. newspaper doesnt flush well. it has to steep a bit to get the starch out.

for the whole day you could be staring down at a corn encrusted gordon ramsey or seeing a digested nut adheired to the features of a smiling tiger woods.