House Price Crash Forum

This Website Is Full Of Str's Trying To Buy Cheaply?

Where is 'the monkey' then? Is he actually posting on this forum or just slagging it off from a different forum?

Always thought they guy was a fool with the 'wrestler' persona he put on.

However, maybe he was being ironic and it just went over my head?? <_<

I personally reckon he was just a midget with big ears.

I will never know.

Not far wrong there Pond321

Like Bliar in the country at large, The Monkey also had a massive following on this site, when he was singing their tune, come on admit it guys :rolleyes:

But as with Blair, I also had The Monkey down as a [email protected] from the start, you all see the light eventually :D

Edited by Catch22
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is the Monkey back at all? He was one of the most vocal bears here for a long time. I thought he finally decided he couldn't hold out any longer and bought a house.

So why is he back baiting bears? Why isn't he just happy with jumping onto the ladder with all the others?

The only reason I can think for him bothering to come back to this site is because he's uncomfortable with his decision to buy. Those mortgage payments must be getting to him. ;)

Many house owners are seriously thinking of throwing the towel in now and selling to rent, which is MUCH cheaper.

It was a serious mistake to buy in for the last few years as prices, drop a little, stagnate and then dropped into freefall...but the general trend is down.

The OOs are fed up of putting their lives on hold slaving to pay a giant mortgage on a tiny house

fake SOLD signs have appeared as estate agents desperately try to pull the wool over the eyes of the public. The actual selling prices of properties for sale recently are between £50-80K less than similar houses sold for last year.

The 00s just want to get on with life and are fed up of the watching house prices slide while they service a ludicrous lifelong debt so some fat banker or estate agent can take it easy.

However, the sad fact for the OOs is that they will have to stay in their overpriced property until at least 2015 because the property market will not have bottomed out until at least then and they will just have to be patient and wait nine years. Shame. Especially for anyone wanting kids.

Guest The_Oldie

Where is 'the monkey' then? Is he actually posting on this forum or just slagging it off from a different forum?

Always thought they guy was a fool with the 'wrestler' persona he put on.

However, maybe he was being ironic and it just went over my head?? <_<

I personally reckon he was just a midget with big ears.

I will never know.

We have unearthed and banned seven Monkey alter egos in the last few days, so he is reduced to using other forums to slag off HPC and post lies about us :rolleyes:.

Finally the Monkey has come back to SP,

Well jabroni, the Monkey used to be a moderator on HPC so he knows that the site is run by 2 STRs who have about 50 usernames each and post under these to give the impression of a lively site.

The Monkey also knows this: You are one ugly-looking jabroni! I bet when you were born, the Doctor slapped your mother!

For the record, Webmaster is an FTB, CTT is an OO and I am an STR (STM - Sold to Move to be precise). As for the 50 usernames, it's hard enough to find the time to moderate this site using one username, let alone 50 :o.

As a quick point, there is no option in the poll for STRs except "I want a crash".

I sold my house for personal reasons and started renting because it was right for my circumstances at the time. To be honest I was looking at flats both to buy and to rent so my options were fairly open... in the end I needed the flexibility and decided to rent. See my join date for the timeframe.

Of course, I do think houses are overpriced and would benefit from a crash, but I don't think this defines me as an STR. I never went into STR intending to ride the crash.

For the record, Webmaster is an FTB, CTT is an OO and I am an STR (STM - Sold to Move to be precise). As for the 50 usernames, it's hard enough to find the time to moderate this site using one username, let alone 50 :o.

Well he has now deleted his posts on SP a regular pastime for The Monkey. Watch the Uni lecturers march on the news you may spot him. :D

Edited by fedupwaiting

As a quick point, there is no option in the poll for STRs except "I want a crash".

I sold my house for personal reasons and started renting because it was right for my circumstances at the time. To be honest I was looking at flats both to buy and to rent so my options were fairly open... in the end I needed the flexibility and decided to rent. See my join date for the timeframe.

Of course, I do think houses are overpriced and would benefit from a crash, but I don't think this defines me as an STR. I never went into STR intending to ride the crash.

Yeah you are probably right! I could not think of every scenario Im afraid. I cant edit the poll as its editting capability has expired.

I do find it interesting that there is a large amount of people that can actually AFFORD to buy a house but are not going to because they are over-priced. This is not a greed thing in my opinion. It's not different than me refusing to buy official Calvin Klein Boxers! They may be £25 a pair (which I CAN afford) but it does not make them value for money, or worth the asking price just because I have the money.

The numbers on here that can afford are a little bit skewed, based on the average man/woman. The people are here are GOOD savers and probably have little, or no debt. If we were to look at the average person I would not say that 30% CAN afford to buy now.

Anyway, as suspected it shows that 83% are NOT STR's. So thats that myth dispelled. What it has done has shown a lot of us that there are a lot of people hanging on BECAUSE of the prices. If the rest of the country thought the same as us then there would be a stall in the market. This shows that its not just affordability thats stopping people from buying, it proves that the british public are making and stand and saying WE WILL NOT BUY AT THESE PRICES!!!

This is very reassuring to know!!!

Thanks to all who voted and I know that the majority were honest. Unlike the cheeky little monkey who give 4 votes for STR!!!!

TB

Yeah you are probably right! I could not think of every scenario Im afraid. I cant edit the poll as its editting capability has expired.

I do find it interesting that there is a large amount of people that can actually AFFORD to buy a house but are not going to because they are over-priced. This is not a greed thing in my opinion. It's not different than me refusing to buy official Calvin Klein Boxers! They may be £25 a pair (which I CAN afford) but it does not make them value for money, or worth the asking price just because I have the money.

WE WILL NOT BUY AT THESE PRICES!!!

This is very reassuring to know!!!

TB

Yes - exactly our reason for STRing - i was pregnant at the time, and we wanted to move as almost everyday car was being vandalised, needed extra space etc, didn't have garden. When we had the house valued before it was in negative equity so we couldn't move. Whe nthe price went up, and we weren't in neg equity we sold. Mother was moving and didn't want to sell hers - hey presto, we move into 4 bed house, with garden (£400 rent a month), and save like mad. We were not prepared to buy at ludicrous prices - why that makes us greedy, i don't know. When i got married we didn't spend any money by most standards, but that's just the way we are, exactly the same reason why i won't buy designer clothes. I'd buy for the quality, but not the name. I beleive in paying what something is worth, and when you can start to see the pound signs in the wedding venue/house vendor's eyes you know it's a joke. One lady whose house we went to look at asked me what we could afford, and invented some fictional charater "who was really interested in buying their house", we pulled out - someone else bought it for less. That put me off buying.

I suspect most STR's moved for other reasons, and just decided not to buy at the time - i still say it's a good move.

Edited by Bubble Pop Electric

Finally, the Monkey has had to go to the trouble of re-registering for the 5th time in 2 weeks so that he can reply to a thread started at / about him.

Before I go any further:

MODERATORS - PLEASE DO NOT DELETE THIS POST BECAUSE:

1. IT IS THE LAST POST I WILL EVER MAKE ON THIS OR ANY OTHER FORUM.

2. THE THREAD WAS STARTED WITH REFERENCE TO ME SO MY REPLYING TO IT IS RELEVANT.

Now, you will notice that I am speaking in the first person as this is me, not the Monkey. I'm really not sure if there are many posters left on here from 2003 / 2004 but it is these people who I wanted to come on here to address. The people who hate me anyway will just think I'm being egotistical in making this post but the Monkey says this to you: know your role and shut your mouth jabronis!

Sorry, I slipped back into Monkey-ese there.

Basically the purpose of this post is to answer people on this thread who think I have become an evil troll. I just wanted to say this:

I first came to this site in 2003/2004 and immediately became addicted. I learned a lot about the property market and was entertained by a lot of cool people (I even look back on BBB with fondness now). At the same time, I really enjoyed playing the Monkey character and although many hated it, I know that many were entertained.

In 2004/2005, Bubble Pricker offered me the job of moderator and I think that I did it well, especially at a time when Bruno was registering about 3 different usernames a day.

When I first came to this site, I was priced out. Over 2-3 years, my wife and I went without basically everything to save 90% of our wages for a deposit. We bought a house at a time when I still thought prices would crash. I now feel that they won't crash and that actually we bought at an opportunistic time when house prices had dropped. If this proves to be right, it is more luck than judgement.

At that time, being a wrestling fan, I decided it would be fun to turn the "good guy" Monkey into a baddie and see people's reactions (The Monkey has Bought a House thread). Some nutters responded by actually believeing that I was the webmaster and printing his name and address but many with a sense of humour still laughed.

This would have been the perfect time to sign off from this site but I realised that like many people on here, coming to this site was an addiction and so was playing the Monkey character. I couldnt stop myself posting. As a solution, I wrote to the Webmaster and asked him to ban me so as to stop me from posting and free up some extra hours in the day, which he did.

4 months later, I saw that everybody on here was getting downbeat and asked the Webmaster if the Monkey could return. I say I returned to give people a laugh but really I missed the interaction of this site and being the Monkey. Being a nice bloke, Webmaster un-banned me.

After making my "comeback" post, which I thought was atually quite funny and about house prices, it was immediately moved to the off-topic forum. After 2 more posts, all on the same thread, my account was then suspended again and my signature and profile edited without any reason being given. I asked for a reason but received no reply.

As a former mod and someone who loved this site, I admit I was a bit p**** off and at this point took up a bit of a vendetta against the mods and began to become a troll just to annoy them.

I re-registerd as "THE MILLION DOLLAR MAN" and "WHINE-HARD'S SHOES" although I only got a few posts in before I was banned again.

I apologise if I upset any FTBs with my comments although I still think that the Mods were a bit quick to ban the Bull Mokey when they had let the Bear Monkey get away with murder.

Now onto the poll:

Just looking at this poll, it shows that only 25% of people here are priced-out. It therefore doesn't take a genius to realise that priced-out FTBs are not in the majority here. Make sure you do what is right for you and don't get carried along by people with enough money in the bank to buy a Get Out of Renting Free card.

THE MAJORITY OF RESPONDERS TO THE POLL (MORE THAN 50%) COULD BUY BUT DON'T (STRs, FTBs, Owner-occupiers). This concerns me for the reason that this website can be very persuasive at making you scared to buy and some people on here may be overly-influenced by what they read here - I know I was. I am not saying that this is definitely a wrong approach but I'm afraid that you just won't get a balanced opinion on here. Nearly everyone wants a crash and so will interpret any news that comes out one way only - a bit like the home crowd at a football match always thinks that it is their throw in. If you can afford to buy now but don't, you owe it to yourself to have a backup plan if prices go up. If not, then you should consider buying - a house is a home, not an investment.

Finally I would like to say goodbye to the nice people left on this site and who said nice things about me over the years (not ShakerBaby or FedUpWaiting - these are jabronis who must be checked into the Smackdown Hotel on the Corner of Know Your Role Bouleverad and Jabroni Drive).

Mods - please leave this alone and I will walk off into the sunset and never darken your doors again. YOU MAY NOW SUSPEND MY ACCOUNT.

I will monitor house prices via teletext in order to go Cold Turkey on my HPC addiction

Cheers.

PS - Yes I know Im posthing this at 5am but im not mad or p*****, I have man flu and can't sleep.

PPS - Where is the option on the poll for "I am the Most Electrifying Homeowner In House Price Forums Today"?

PPS - No, I didn't vote in the poll for a 5th time.

PPPS - I still think that some of the mods are jabronis - I just don't know which ones.

PPPPS - I will be The Most Electrifying Viewer on Channel 4 Teletext Business News Today

PPPPPS - Whatever happened to Adam Bear, Lisa Flat, Minted BTL, BBB(KOTC), BBB Tenant, The Troll (Triple H), Mr. Singh the Market King, Evil Sam, Bottom Feeder, ZZq, and Bullish Bear?

PPPPPPS - Did you smell it?

Edited by THE MONKEY

THE MAJORITY OF RESPONDERS TO THE POLL (MORE THAN 50%) COULD BUY BUT DON'T (STRs, FTBs, Owner-occupiers). This concerns me for the reason that this website can be very persuasive at making you scared to buy and some people on here may be overly-influenced by what they read here - I know I was. I am not saying that this is definitely a wrong approach but I'm afraid that you just won't get a balanced opinion on here. Nearly everyone wants a crash and so will interpret any news that comes out one way only - a bit like the home crowd at a football match always thinks that it is their throw in. If you can afford to buy now but don't, you owe it to yourself to have a backup plan if prices go up. If not, then you should consider buying - a house is a home, not an investment.

This part of your post is EXCELLENT!!!!

I honestly believe that apart from 1 thread which makes it quite clear, "FTB's Do not under any circumstances buy now", I cant see any that are so blatant in persuading people NOT TO BUY. I must admit, I was quite surprised at the level of FTB's that could afford to buy, the point being though, that people on here are not going to fuel this speculative market.

Like any market, there are risks! Since I joined, House Prices HAVE RISEN. Am I bitter about this? Well not really because I did not have a decent deposit then. Living with our parents (share a few rooms in my mums house), we can save 18K a year. You could argue that prices have gone up 18K in that year but I dont think the area I am looking at has risen that much.

I have sent myself a target of 90K mortgage! I will not pay a penny more. The reason being, IF I was to lose my job and get a basic job (£12K a year) we could STILL afford the mortgage at 7%. I refuse to take on a mortgage that I COULD POSSIBLY AFFORD at these UNUSUALLY LOW INTEREST RATES. I know that long term (25 years) IR's average at 6.78% (I calculated it based on 1972 to now). This is not something that this site has instilled in me, it is MY CHOICE!

Now, lets get onto the matter in hand. STR's. I'm a PRICED OUT FTB. When I say priced out I mean that I could afford a small terraced in a CRAP area of Liverpool but I am 38 and do not have time on my hands to move up the ladder. I am therefore going to possibly RUNG 2 of the ladder. I want a small 3 bed semi in a decent area. Lots of my friends bought 8 years ago and these were well within the reach of ALL FTB's - especially if buying with a spouse or G/F. There is NO REASON why my aspirations are set too high!!!!

STR's in your description (I apologise if I have misinterpreted you) are people that have jumped off the ladder and have traded in their HOME as an investment? I think there are a fair few people that have sold and realised that the ones they wanted to buy were RIDICULOUSLY high!!!

I believe a lot of these people came to these conclusions:

They seen rental accommodation that was better than what they were buying, and found it affordable to rent and save more money to eventually buy back in?

They sold, decided to rent and wait for the madness in the market to calm down. these people are probably old enough to remember a CRASH or two?

These people decided to sell their house. Release their equity and decided to RENT through choice. If they could buy back in at a later stage then they would consider it?

and finally......

These people sold believing a CRASH was round the corner. They would be GUTTED if they bought at peak. You have to realise that a lot of people on here follow markets. You would not be wise to criticise the SELL HIGH/BUY LOW theory! Its worked for generations.

As I said on the original post... I welcome you here! I agree we do need a better balance of BEAR and BULL. Your post above shows a WELL CONSTRUCTED arguement, which WILL get a fair response. Your only downfall was your deceipt, be a more transparent and I cant see any reason why the MODS would BAN YOU.

TB

I liked that post, I am someone who refuses to pay what the next rung of the ladder wants, like Teddy I have a target of what I am willing to pay, and it's about the same (I am in the North West to), as for when the crash will come who knows but come it will, I believe that most of the bulls realise this, if it looks like a bubble, smells like a bubble chances are it is a bubble.

A little bit about forum addiction, go to this site http://www.stevepavlina.com/articles/effec...forum-usage.htm I am a member of several forums put have cut down my usage drastically

I'm a first time buyer and I can afford an awful property in an awful area or a 2 bed flat in decent part of town.

At 31, I'm not prepared to live in an area where the social class is lower then your normal hard working family.

The flat in a decent part of town will cost me just over half my monthly take home. I refuse to buy until a decent property in a decent area is 1/3 my monthly take home pay. (after I put down my substantial deposit)

I'm a first time buyer and I can afford an awful property in an awful area or a 2 bed flat in decent part of town.

At 31, I'm not prepared to live in an area where the social class is lower then your normal hard working family.

The flat in a decent part of town will cost me just over half my monthly take home. I refuse to buy until a decent property in a decent area is 1/3 my monthly take home pay. (after I put down my substantial deposit)

You may, or may not have to wait a considerable amount of time to get the property you desire, or buy that 2 bed flat in the decent part of town, live in it or rent it depending on your circumstances. If it's in a good area and a property that you feel others would wish to purchase when you wish to sell on, and is for sale at the right price and is affordable think about it. At the end of the day it's your decision.

Many STRs are seriously thinking of throwing the towel in now and buy a property.

It was a serious mistake of the STRs in hanging on for the last few years watching prices, drop a little, stagnate and then rise...but the general trend is up.

The STRs are fed up of putting their lives on hold waiting for a crash which is always 'just around the corner'

The STRs had thought that house prices were stagnating nicely with some price cutting and more FOR SALE boards appearing but recently a flurry of SOLD signs have appeared. The asking prices of properties for sale recently are between £20-50K more than similar houses sold for last year.

The STRs just want to get on with life and are fed up of the watching house prices climb further out of their reach every month.

However, the sad fact for the STRs is that they will have to hold off buying a property until at least 2015 because the property market will not have bottomed out until at least then and they will just have to be patient and wait nine years.

ahahahahahahahah...hahaha..ha...ahem. Johnathan Trees? Priceless.

Finally, the Monkey has had to go to the trouble of re-registering for the 5th time in 2 weeks so that he can reply to a thread started at / about him.

Before I go any further:

MODERATORS - PLEASE DO NOT DELETE THIS POST BECAUSE:

1. IT IS THE LAST POST I WILL EVER MAKE ON THIS OR ANY OTHER FORUM.

2. THE THREAD WAS STARTED WITH REFERENCE TO ME SO MY REPLYING TO IT IS RELEVANT.

Now, you will notice that I am speaking in the first person as this is me, not the Monkey. I'm really not sure if there are many posters left on here from 2003 / 2004 but it is these people who I wanted to come on here to address. The people who hate me anyway will just think I'm being egotistical in making this post but the Monkey says this to you: know your role and shut your mouth jabronis!

Sorry, I slipped back into Monkey-ese there.

Basically the purpose of this post is to answer people on this thread who think I have become an evil troll. I just wanted to say this:

I first came to this site in 2003/2004 and immediately became addicted. I learned a lot about the property market and was entertained by a lot of cool people (I even look back on BBB with fondness now). At the same time, I really enjoyed playing the Monkey character and although many hated it, I know that many were entertained.

In 2004/2005, Bubble Pricker offered me the job of moderator and I think that I did it well, especially at a time when Bruno was registering about 3 different usernames a day.

When I first came to this site, I was priced out. Over 2-3 years, my wife and I went without basically everything to save 90% of our wages for a deposit. We bought a house at a time when I still thought prices would crash. I now feel that they won't crash and that actually we bought at an opportunistic time when house prices had dropped. If this proves to be right, it is more luck than judgement.

At that time, being a wrestling fan, I decided it would be fun to turn the "good guy" Monkey into a baddie and see people's reactions (The Monkey has Bought a House thread). Some nutters responded by actually believeing that I was the webmaster and printing his name and address but many with a sense of humour still laughed.

This would have been the perfect time to sign off from this site but I realised that like many people on here, coming to this site was an addiction and so was playing the Monkey character. I couldnt stop myself posting. As a solution, I wrote to the Webmaster and asked him to ban me so as to stop me from posting and free up some extra hours in the day, which he did.

4 months later, I saw that everybody on here was getting downbeat and asked the Webmaster if the Monkey could return. I say I returned to give people a laugh but really I missed the interaction of this site and being the Monkey. Being a nice bloke, Webmaster un-banned me.

After making my "comeback" post, which I thought was atually quite funny and about house prices, it was immediately moved to the off-topic forum. After 2 more posts, all on the same thread, my account was then suspended again and my signature and profile edited without any reason being given. I asked for a reason but received no reply.

As a former mod and someone who loved this site, I admit I was a bit p**** off and at this point took up a bit of a vendetta against the mods and began to become a troll just to annoy them.

I re-registerd as "THE MILLION DOLLAR MAN" and "WHINE-HARD'S SHOES" although I only got a few posts in before I was banned again.

I apologise if I upset any FTBs with my comments although I still think that the Mods were a bit quick to ban the Bull Mokey when they had let the Bear Monkey get away with murder.

Now onto the poll:

Just looking at this poll, it shows that only 25% of people here are priced-out. It therefore doesn't take a genius to realise that priced-out FTBs are not in the majority here. Make sure you do what is right for you and don't get carried along by people with enough money in the bank to buy a Get Out of Renting Free card.

Finally I would like to say goodbye to the nice people left on this site and who said nice things about me over the years (not ShakerBaby or FedUpWaiting - these are jabronis who must be checked into the Smackdown Hotel on the Corner of Know Your Role Bouleverad and Jabroni Drive).

Mods - please leave this alone and I will walk off into the sunset and never darken your doors again. YOU MAY NOW SUSPEND MY ACCOUNT.

I will monitor house prices via teletext in order to go Cold Turkey on my HPC addiction

Cheers.

PS - Yes I know Im posthing this at 5am but im not mad or p*****, I have man flu and can't sleep.

PPS - Where is the option on the poll for "I am the Most Electrifying Homeowner In House Price Forums Today"?

PPS - No, I didn't vote in the poll for a 5th time.

PPPS - I still think that some of the mods are jabronis - I just don't know which ones.

PPPPS - I will be The Most Electrifying Viewer on Channel 4 Teletext Business News Today

PPPPPS - Whatever happened to Adam Bear, Lisa Flat, Minted BTL, BBB(KOTC), BBB Tenant, The Troll (Triple H), Mr. Singh the Market King, Evil Sam, Bottom Feeder, ZZq, and Bullish Bear?

PPPPPPS - Did you smell it?

Thats a shame. Any newcomers should check out the monkeys posts, they were genius. For me, the words 'strudel' and 'HPC' will always be intrinsically linked. Please say it aint the end monkey, please!

I'm an FTB who could afford but has decided to wait (Age 29, moved around a bit in my early / mid 20's and didn't believe that house prices would go up so much as to pay all the estate agents /solicitors fees etc). Like many others I was suprised by how many other people in the poll can afford and won't pay and I wonder how many people won't buy because they feel they have something to loose. I've saved / invested hard the last few years and have enough for a fairly healthy deposit thanks to the 2003 - 2006 bull run in the stock market. In the course of learning to invest I have become interested in fundamentals and I believe the current house prices are not backed up by fundamentals and inflationary pressures exist. I feel I stand to loose my deposit /savings if I sell all my assets and buy a house as I believe that housing will come down. Friends of mine who have not saved or who have done well in housing and are now moving up the ladder (pyramid scheme in my mind) are far happier to risk more money in property and I think this is because they feel they have nothing to loose. Those who have done well have done so through leveraging and not risking much money they personally have saved and those on 100% morgages feel that their only risk is not being on the property pyramid. Do any other FTB's who can afford but wont pay feel the same way?

I'm an FTB who could afford but has decided to wait (Age 29, moved around a bit in my early / mid 20's and didn't believe that house prices would go up so much as to pay all the estate agents /solicitors fees etc). Like many others I was suprised by how many other people in the poll can afford and won't pay and I wonder how many people won't buy because they feel they have something to loose. I've saved / invested hard the last few years and have enough for a fairly healthy deposit thanks to the 2003 - 2006 bull run in the stock market. In the course of learning to invest I have become interested in fundamentals and I believe the current house prices are not backed up by fundamentals and inflationary pressures exist. I feel I stand to loose my deposit /savings if I sell all my assets and buy a house as I believe that housing will come down. Friends of mine who have not saved or who have done well in housing and are now moving up the ladder (pyramid scheme in my mind) are far happier to risk more money in property and I think this is because they feel they have nothing to loose. Those who have done well have done so through leveraging and not risking much money they personally have saved and those on 100% morgages feel that their only risk is not being on the property pyramid. Do any other FTB's who can afford but wont pay feel the same way?

Good post, I could afford to move, but like you I believe that the present cost of housing is unsustainable, as for your friends you must forgive them, they more than likely have not seen what a house price crash can do, I hear so many people say they will just sit it out etc, but they don't know what it will be like with a huge chunk of negative equity, job insecurity, high unemployment, it seems that memories are very short