House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
R2D2

Buying A Rundown Property...

Has anyone got the inside track on run down properties in London?

Thing is, I have lived in Pimlico now for 6 years and I regularly come across flats in the area that are boarded up. For example, there are 2 full houses on St Georges Square (Pimlico) as we speak that are currently boarded up and being completely renovated from scratch...This particular developer also bought a 3 bedroom, run down property on the corner of Winchester Street and Lupus Street (Pimlico) last August for £300k and 6 months later (after having spent 30k max on the interior) put it on the market for £550k. How is it that this individual seems to get word of these properties way in advance and often exclusively when the general public have no way of even a look in?

I mean, I do not want to be a property developer, not at all but after what I have seen on the Pimlico housing market, I would rather buy a run down dump and spend 100k putting in reliable electrics, 21st century plumbing, good quality fittings etc...Does that make any sense? I mean I would be more than willing to pay a finders fee to someone who could help? Are there any agencies?

Any comments or suggestions on this topic would be most useful...

Thanks

How is it that this individual seems to get word of these properties way in advance and often exclusively when the general public have no way of even a look in?

Fat lots of money in EA's pockets. Then fat lots of money into council people's pockets to get the planning to do them up - is it corruption or pragmatism ? You just have to pay more than the next man in a Nissan Navara...

There are companies that you can pay monthly for which they will send you a.lerts of cheap/derelict properties.

I haven't used them so I can't commemnt on how good the service is. Speak to your local councel. They may even own one or more of them.

Or post a note through the door asking to be contacted if the owner wants to sell it as it is.