House Price Crash Forum

Sorry To Report This

I don't believe this!!!!

Just as things looked like they were stagnating nicely with some price cutting a flurry of SOLD signs have appeared. Don't know what these have sold for but I do know the asking prices are between £20-50K more than simlar houses sold for last year.

'Dead cat bounce' or a sign of things to come? <_<

I get quite a bit of criticism with my bullish opinion but houses £400k and over seem to sell straight away.

1 bed flats and studios hang a bit longer but I wouldn't say much more than 3-4 years ago.

I meant to mention that this is in my home town.

Edited by enworb

Seriously thinking of throwing the towel in now and buying.

Maybe I will make a mistake but I have been hanging on for the last few years watching prices, drop a little, stagnate and then rise...but the gneral trend is up.

Fed up of putting my/our lives on hold waiting for a crash which is always 'just around the corner'

No I am not a troll BTW....just p1ssed off the watching house climb further out of my reach every month. :(:(

I get quite a bit of criticism with my bullish opinion but houses £400k and over seem to sell straight away.

1 bed flats and studios hang a bit longer but I wouldn't say much more than 3-4 years ago.

My observations in my area are contrary to the land reg figures. By my estimation, six months ago there were loads of decent 2 or 3 beds for below £200k. Now it seem like the cheapest are around £230k.

Maybe I will make a mistake but I have been hanging on for the last few years watching prices, drop a little, stagnate and then rise...but the gneral trend is up.

Fed up of putting my/our lives on hold waiting for a crash which is always 'just around the corner'

No I am not a troll BTW....just p1ssed off the watching house climb further out of my reach every month. :(:(

Im starting to agree with you, there are far worse things than being in neg eq, Once youve bought a house you will be up against it in several ways, so why not just buy and ride that bucking broncho ????

There's no harm in checking out a few properties. Of course there are overprices houses but there are reasonably priced houses too.

If you want to buy a family home you may regret waiting if prices keep creeping up year on year. Sounds as though you already regret waiting for a hpc!

So if house prices are already out of your reach and climbing how are you going to be able to buy?

G-Man

if you haven't got the patience then you should probably do it.

I won't be buying until 2015 at least because I don't expect the market to have bottomed until at least then and I've got the patience to wait.

The number of people coming on this site claiming that they 'can't wait any longer' is unbelievable.

Im starting to agree with you, there are far worse things than being in neg eq, Once youve bought a house you will be up against it in several ways, so why not just buy and ride that bucking broncho ????

Chances are, you wouldn't be in neg eq (unless you buy a new build flat) and in 10 years you'll be paying the same or slightly higher if IR's rise.

Any increase would be less than rental increases and you'd own your own home.

The arguments that renting is great because you get the LL to sort out any problems are started by tenants.

Ask any homeowner if they would rather rent so that they can get their LL to sort out any problems, they will say "what problems"

well the NW is dire. nothing selling. mates mum stuck following the market down every 4 months. no viewings.

id say there isnt a mini boom here. nothings moving much.

Mmm... 2005's in the north west.

T&T

(DICKDASTARDLY @ May 31 2006, 04:54 PM)

Im starting to agree with you, there are far worse things than being in neg eq, Once youve bought a house you will be up against it in several ways, so why not just buy and ride that bucking broncho ???

(Dames @ May 31 2006, 05:03 PM)

Have you ever been in Neg/eq?

No, but if I was I dont think my life would fall apart into smithereens

Hopefully not, Dick, but what if...

* You want to move home, perhaps because you have been offered a job in another part of the UK.

* Interest rates rocket to unsustainable levels, making every monthly mortgage payment impossible.

* You have been made redundant, cannot afford to continue making mortgage payments and are being evicted. You then carry the additional debts with you.

* The collapse in house prices is massive, of 50% or more, completely paralysing the market and halting almost all purchases.

* The issue lasts for many years, perhaps a decade or more, impacting on people who may want to downsize close to retirement.

I think then that perhaps you might want to rethink that statement you made earlier! :blink:

Look if you want to buy go ahead and buy, don't come on a bearish forum and ask for advice because you know what the advice will be, why bother!

The market will crash and crash spectacularly, it always has done and will do again, the issue you must decide is how big the crash will be, I am in the north west as well, and it is slowing down here as well, sure there are some sales, but anyone buying now is buying at the top of the market, you know as do most of the bulls on here that it can not go like this.

Guest Winners and Losers

No, but if I was I dont think my life would fall apart into smithereens

You underestimate the power of negative equity to make your life fall apart into smithereens.

I hate to say this but the area in which I currently live is showing YOY price falls according to both the Halifax and NW. The only property I see selling immediately sprouts a TO LET board in its place and then just sits there for month after month. this is Windsor and Maidenhead.

The place I am looking at to buy eventually but to rent for now was described by a local EA as unstable with chains collapsing all over the place.She advised us that if we decide to buy, around about September would be good ....... however I am definietly holding out for another year at least. This is the Kent coast.

All the data I have seen shows some areas rising and some falling so its no surprise that what you think you see is prices rising where you are ( it ain't sold till contracts are exchanged). Personally, I think given the current state of the global and UK economies and the coming wave of IR hikes you'd have to be nuts to buy now ... but thats your choice.

P.S Could people pls state what area it is they are talking about .. it would help enormously.

Remember he who dares ........

Look if you want to buy go ahead and buy, don't come on a bearish forum and ask for advice because you know what the advice will be, why bother!

The market will crash and crash spectacularly, it always has done and will do again, the issue you must decide is how big the crash will be, I am in the north west as well, and it is slowing down here as well, sure there are some sales, but anyone buying now is buying at the top of the market, you know as do most of the bulls on here that it can not go like this.

Get you facts straight...

1) I am not a bull

2) I am not asking for advice

I am reporting what I see in my area...if you can't reply politely then don't bother!

Get you facts straight...

1) I am not a bull

2) I am not asking for advice

I am reporting what I see in my area...if you can't reply politely then don't bother!

I don't see a problem with keeping others informed about the area you live in.

That's the whole idea of Forum otherwise the likes of TTRTR and myself would have been kicked out ages ago.

If you can give feedback regarding the area you live in please continue to do so and ignore some of the impolite bears.

Don't take the criticsm personally, it's what some of them do.

You underestimate the power of negative equity to make your life fall apart into smithereens.

Nah, cancer or a very bad accident can really make your life fall apart.

:blink:

Negative equity is not that bad in the grand scheme of things.

I don't believe this!!!!

Just as things looked like they were stagnating nicely with some price cutting a flurry of SOLD signs have appeared. Don't know what these have sold for but I do know the asking prices are between £20-50K more than simlar houses sold for last year.

'Dead cat bounce' or a sign of things to come? <_<

Mini boom in SW Cornwall as well (if all of the "sale agreed" actuallu go through) market is still generally slow and there are some big reductions, but several houses that have been for sale for a long time have got sales pending ( onlhy the cheaper stuff though)

Perhaps there are more feeling the way you do 2005

Do what you have got to do and don't look over your shoulder when you've done it

CS

Opposite in this area (although there are no studious and very few flats) cheaper end is moving quickly and stuff over £300k generally takes time to sell with some higher priced stuff not moving at all

CS

Edited by Cornwall Sceptic

I have seen a lot of 'for sale' and 'To Let' signs recently, all on Flats.

Not just one board but loads per block all different agents and all with For Sale and to let,

One example is a block recently done 5 flats - total of 11 signs

I see the odd house for sale, but the numbers of sale /to let boards on flats is astonishing

Hove was stagnant for two years, now it is only SOLD signs. For me it's not a case of 'Oh No, have I missed out', even if the market does start to climb again, it's a more a case of 'Oh well property in this country is always going to be poor value, time to get out'. It's like shopping in Waitrose and moaning about the prices, in the long term if things don't change, I'm leaving. I can afford to buy, I just don't think it's a sensible choice at these prices, even if they continue to go up. What's the point in 'owning' a tiny flat and not being able to go on holidays or start a family, when I can rent a bigger place, do all those things, AND save so that I can either buy when prices come down or move somewhere that prices are sensible in a few years time.

Saying all that, the fact still remains that while property remains unnaffordable at the bottom something will have to give, either wage inflation or prices, and that choice ultimately lies with the gov. and MPC...I'm not that optimistic.

My area:

Asking prices have risen modestly in some cases, but mostly remained flat for the last 12 months.

But just this last few weeks I've been seeing *some* far lower asking prices than I expected. Most data including HBOS, Halifax and Nationwide all agree that my local town saw falls of 4-5% last year.

Its starting in some areas but taking its time to spread/accelerate.

LR shows volumes fell to about 1/2 to 2/3 of normal sales volumes last year, and I expect that towards the end of this year it'll get even worse.