House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
munimula

Retail Jobs Lost At Fastest Rate In 23 Years

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/5033424.stm

But retail jobs went at the sharpest pace in the survey's 23-year history.

The CBI says the job losses reflect difficult trading conditions and continued pressure on retailers to cut prices.

I think that it is worth remembering that it is the creation of retail jobs and public sector jobs that have kept unemployment low.

Retail sector will have to cut jobs and the public sector is spent (NHS job cuts etc)

Unemployment is on a steadily increasing upwards trajectory and that's going to start to hit the housing market sooner or later.

Under pressure to cut prices but costs increasing all the time (M&S said costs were rising 6-7% pa) then something has to go and it looks like it going to be jobs first.

Another foundation of the Great British house of cards continues to deteriorate

How many jobs have been created in the last 9 years though? Maybe the job losses are actually a reduction to the average.

Regardless of what happens with house prices - i know FOR SURE that we are heading into a recession. Even if I cant afford a house I will at least have lots of cash. If I lost my job then this will disppear somewhere :)

I am scared really. I know that Liverpool being Capital of Culture is building shed loads of shops. These will draw people in for a year or two and then I can see them going down-hill. In the meantime other shops that have been in the city centre for years will disappear :(

I can see Liverpool having a mass of unemployment and a big property crash around 2008/2009.

TB