House Price Crash Forum
Guest Bart of Darkness

Ats Bullion Vs. Baird Vs. Chard

Guest Bart of Darkness

In the same spirit as the Goldmoney Vs Bullionvault Vs Gbs.l thread, is there any real difference between ATS Bullion, Baird or Chard as far as buying coins or bars is concerned.

Is there any reason to favour one over the other two?

Has anyone been put off buying from one of these companies by a bad experience with them?

Do you have a smaller/more local supplier that you prefer?

Guest Bart of Darkness

Thanks MEtallic. Nice to have a response.

I had the feeling that this would go down as my least sucessful thread ever (and that's up against some pretty stiff competition).

Thanks MEtallic. Nice to have a response.

I had the feeling that this would go down as my least sucessful thread ever (and that's up against some pretty stiff competition).

well, lets add another comment then

i like baird & co and use them all the time :D

ATS Krugerrands are the same price as Baird, but ATS's Maple Leafs are more expensive, by about £4-5.

Not my experience! Doesn't Baird charge just 4% - 4.5% over spot for Krugerrs? I'm pretty sure ATS charge more than that... Probably can't beat Baird for value, but I've never purchased from them (circumstances conspired against me!) and regret not doing so!.

Guest Bart of Darkness

Cheers guys. I must admit that I do tend to favour Baird over ATS or Chard but as I've never actually bought from ATS or Chard I did wonder whether I was perhaps doing them a disservice.

Cheers guys. I must admit that I do tend to favour Baird over ATS or Chard but as I've never actually bought from ATS or Chard I did wonder whether I was perhaps doing them a disservice.

we all seem to talking about buying, but what about charges for selling back to them ?

wonder who is the better option ?

we all seem to talking about buying, but what about charges for selling back to them ?

wonder who is the better option ?

Read here somewhere that ATS buy back at spot minus 5%.

While this appears mean, my own experience in getting quotes is that most sellers buy back at some moving average rate and I've been offered a lot less than 5% off spot by other dealers.

One place I have bought from in Birmingham said they would buy back at spot, but only the coins they sold me (with proof of purchase). However, their sell margin, even with quantity purchases, was 6%. They said they'd buy back at 1% below spot for other coins - but again, put to the test with recent gains they didn't offer anything like that.

Seems you can't "short" effectively with physical - but then that's not the point of owning physical is it? I suggest that there's very little in it for selling if the gold price has been stable for a while as most dealers have to accept the inevitable and just trade. A lot of the dealers are actually refiners who feel obliged to carry some bullion coins as though it is part of their remit to do so. They dislike the current "action" in gold as it can affect counter sales to the jewelery trade and forces them to think more deeply than normal about when to buy raw materials and when to sell stock to avoid large losses.

I'd personally suggest that Baird & Co. are still the best for quantity purchases (margins the lowest). For selling, well, if you;re talking bulk then maybe go back to one of these dealers and give ti a go. Otherwise, why not try private selling (Ebay, etc.) to negate the 5%+ loss you'd otherwise have to make up?

Perhaps we should collectively think about starting up a coin selling business in time for the peak? Perhaps if we get stagflation turning into high inflation then the high street banks will start trading Krugerrs again and you can just pay them into your bank account!!

AF

Hi,

I find Baird & co very up front about what they charge, e.g. it's on the web site

I only deal in small batches, and have been ignored by ATS bullion on several occassions. Obviously too busy selling large batches to other forum users. whereas, Baird have always offered me a price and stuck to it.

I have tried a couple of local dealers, but when I contacted them they only had kilo bars left.

Bart, I'm going to make your thread even more successful (or perhaps infamous) by resurrecting it as I just tapped 'Baird or Chard' into Google and it came up with your thread! Bah, I just can't escape this place. :)

Anyone else got any comments on these three?

BTW is Baird still closed for xmas? Their website price list seems to have been kaput for quite a while now. And one other thing, do you have to call Baird up before placing an order? Neither Baird, Chard nor ATS have a proper epayment system on their sites - it's all print-out forms. I can understand them not taking credit cards, but not having an automated online system to capture orders by debit, cheque or bank transfer just makes them look unprofessional.

Bart, I'm going to make your thread even more successful (or perhaps infamous) by resurrecting it as I just tapped 'Baird or Chard' into Google and it came up with your thread! Bah, I just can't escape this place. :)

Anyone else got any comments on these three?

BTW is Baird still closed for xmas? Their website price list seems to have been kaput for quite a while now. And one other thing, do you have to call Baird up before placing an order? Neither Baird, Chard nor ATS have a proper epayment system on their sites - it's all print-out forms. I can understand them not taking credit cards, but not having an automated online system to capture orders by debit, cheque or bank transfer just makes them look unprofessional.

I'd thoroughly recommend Baird+ co.

every transaction I've done with them is totally legit,and I've never had a problem with the service.

When I made my first purchases from ATS. When dealing with the owner, I always got the impression that she thought she was doing you a favour. The other staff were fine. They always stuck to agreed prices.

Tried Baird once, but they wouldn't fix a price over the phone.

I now only deal with Gold Investments in London. Never had any problems and always got the agreed price fixed on the phone. They even stuck to a Silver price they misquoted, in my favour. Wouldn't use anyone else. Never tried selling though with any dealers. Also, I've never tried buying coins. I'm a bar man myself.