Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Katie "the Babe" Barker Of Bo E Bearish

http://today.reuters.co.uk/investing/finan...OE-UPDATE-1.XML

UPDATE 1-BoE's Barker: Energy prices yet to feed into wages

Wed May 31, 2006 9:35 AM BST

Email This Article | Print This Article | RSS [-] Text [+]

(Adds quotes, detail)

LONDON, May 31 (Reuters) - Rising energy prices have yet to fuel inflationary pressure in the labour market through higher wage demands, Bank of England Monetary Policy Committee member Kate Barker said.
"We have seen these big rises in energy prices and that has put a squeeze on what people have to spend. But we haven't seen that translate into inflationary pressure in the labour market," Barker was quoted as saying in Tuesday's edition of the Nottingham Evening Post.
The BoE said the interview was conducted last week.
"What has not been so reassuring is that rising energy prices have proved to be more persistent -- they have risen for longer than we anticipated. So we are not out of the woods yet and
I don't think that it would be right to stop being concerned," Barker said.
Barker said monetary policymakers needed to be forward looking to act in a timely manner if pressures emerge
"
We have to look forward with our policy because if we see pressures then we want to act early
," she said.

Not only is Katie the best (and only good) looking one on the MPC, she also the most bearish. Perhaps she should become the ne HPC pin-up girl?

I don't understand this "wage demands will rise" idea. Surely, at any time, everyone is always asking for the highest wage, and employers will offer the least they can get away with. For the majority of people they have no negotiating power.

Laying the ground for a rise in June?

I don't think they've 'talked' enough to warrant a rise in June. Hope I'm wrong!

Not only is Katie the best (and only good) looking one on the MPC, she also the most bearish. Perhaps she should become the ne HPC pin-up girl?

kate_barker.jpg

You think that's good looking ? You need glasses, mate. :D

kate_barker.jpg

You think that's good looking ? You need glasses, mate. :D

Have you seen the pictures of Mervyn? Compared with Merv and the others Katie is a babe! :)

Actually, with a makeover she might not be that bad.

Have you seen the pictures of Mervyn? Compared with Merv and the others Katie is a babe! :)

:blink::huh: how can we now take you seriously on anything else you say RB? :lol:

Hmmmm. Actually I think it is 'that' bad. Even with an 'Extreme Makeover'.

I have not had my end away for a few months now, give Merv a makeover and i might consider it ;)

She would be more of a babe if she seduced us with 10% interest rate talk

Phwor!....oh,yeah, baby...10% interest rates... ah...keep talking Loanshark!

Oil price rises... its total lies. When I got my car 3 years ago it cost just over £30 to filll the tank. Its now over £40. However, take a holiday anywhere else (just got back from the canaries) and its about 0.75 Euro per litre. Its just rip off britain again. Is public transport a viable alternative...?

0,,301424,00.jpg

er... no.

I don't understand this "wage demands will rise" idea. Surely, at any time, everyone is always asking for the highest wage, and employers will offer the least they can get away with. For the majority of people they have no negotiating power.

I think it works like this: As you say, everyone always asks for the highest wage, and employers offer the lowest one they can get away with. But as living costs rise, the "lowest they can get away with" rises, because the level below which people won't accept the work rises.

Oil price rises... its total lies. When I got my car 3 years ago it cost just over £30 to filll the tank. Its now over £40. However, take a holiday anywhere else (just got back from the canaries) and its about 0.75 Euro per litre. Its just rip off britain again. Is public transport a viable alternative...?

0,,301424,00.jpg

er... no.

Not that cheap everywhere. In Ireland currently at €1.16.9, it's a bit more pricey in France. A lot of it is tax of course. Most everything is pretty cheap in the Canaries though.

Well exactly, they worry more about wage inflation than general consumer price inflation precisely because wages make up over 60% of input costs for business, they can withstand the doubling of oil prices more than higher wage demands.

[quote name='Realistbear' date='May 31 2006

she's a bit fickle to say the least!!!

she was on bloomberg a few months ago saying that she favoured a cut.

merv is on the case!!!!!!.....he can smell what's cookin!!!...and he's stuck to it.given global events I'm more incined to stick with merv....5.5% here we come!!