House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gel

Oh **** It...

Because I'm getting itchy feet.... I could rent a flat in Amsterdam for a year then stay in Germany......learn the languages....have 100k invested somewhere...

I don't know what's best :(

House details:

4 Bed link detached

Fully rennovated ex council

60k mortgage

Worth 160k+

house.jpg

Because I'm getting itchy feet.... I could rent a flat in Amsterdam for a year then stay in Germany......learn the languages....have 100k invested somewhere...

House details:

4 Bed link detached

60k mortgage

Worth 160k+

house.jpg

Go to Amsterdam! Get drunk, smoke some weed, live on the edge for a year. Then when you come back the long awaited house price crash will have happened and you will be able to pick this one up for peanuts.

HTH ;)

Go to Amsterdam! Get drunk, smoke some weed, live on the edge for a year. Then when you come back the long awaited house price crash will have happened and you will be able to pick this one up for peanuts.

HTH ;)

That's what I was thinking...perhaps a not quite next year though....

Guest The_Oldie

That's what I was thinking...perhaps a not quite next year though....

I wouldn't hang about if that's what you're going to do, as I think we may see price falls being reported in the mainstream press from late summer/autumn this year, possibly on the back of a rate hike. Don't forget it takes a few months to complete a sale.

As someone who works in Holland I'd say go for it... the country is great, the people friendly... it's safe but you will find yourself increasingly horrified at British prices. :lol:

You mean the house prices vs the ones here?

....have 100k invested somewhere...

60k mortgage

Worth 160k+

Its worth what? Worth what someone would pay for it... or are you counting your 100k you've got invested to pay off it'?

Its worth what? Worth what someone would pay for it... or are you counting your 100k you've got invested to pay off it'?

Nope, priced to sell it was 150k three months ago...done the house since then so I can expect a reputable 160k for it compared to others in my town Ashford, Kent

The mortgage is only 60k so that would leave me with approx 100k ( before selling costs etc)

Nope, priced to sell it was 150k three months ago...done the house since then so I can expect a reputable 160k for it compared to others in my town Ashford, Kent

The mortgage is only 60k so that would leave me with approx 100k ( before selling costs etc)

Ashford is probably going to do OK with the CTRL and the high speed line to Stratford. BUT, it's ex-council and the attendant risks to that - I should assume a fair bit of volatility is possible, especially as it's a larger house (4 beds) and it's not really what FTBs are looking at, rather it's the ladder move or the BTL set or the person who has a family but can't afford anywhere else (though if you think about it, why buy a 4 bed ex-council house on a council estate when you can rent it from the council for a lot less). Having said that, I suppose it's down to getting the right person on the right day.... - what have the other council houses that are similar size in the same post code sold for ?

Not trying to be insulting, just trying to add my subjective bit to your decision making....

Ashford is probably going to do OK with the CTRL and the high speed line to Stratford. BUT, it's ex-council and the attendant risks to that - I should assume a fair bit of volatility is possible, especially as it's a larger house (4 beds) and it's not really what FTBs are looking at, rather it's the ladder move or the BTL set or the person who has a family but can't afford anywhere else (though if you think about it, why buy a 4 bed ex-council house on a council estate when you can rent it from the council for a lot less). Having said that, I suppose it's down to getting the right person on the right day.... - what have the other council houses that are similar size in the same post code sold for ?

Not trying to be insulting, just trying to add my subjective bit to your decision making....

No insults taken mate :)

Practically everybody around here owns their house outright, it isn't on an estate as such... I have a terrace next to me consisting of two houses both elderly couples, then a row of 4 garages. Opposite me I have a bungalow which houses an elderly person who is housed by the council. Across the road I have the worlds quietest pub with a huge empty car park. I'm isolated but not in a funny sort of way.

When you say attendant risk what do you mean?

My biggest worry is getting stuck in a chain for 6 months only to be gazumped...I've just booked 5 estate agents in anyway so it'll be interesting what they say.

DSC00592.jpg

DSC00378.jpg

DSC00468.jpg

DSC00469.jpg

DSC00677.jpg

DSC00670.jpg

I think you should sell up, but do it quickly as prices tend to fall in the autumn. Enjoy life. Return to buy at a better price in a couple of years.

Always go for the travel option, unless there are kids involved in which case it's more complicated.

You won't regret living abroad....

House details:

4 Bed link detached

60k mortgage

Worth 160k+

house.jpg

What are you trying to achieve ?

Have you considered speaking to others with alternative strategies?

IMO - DO NOT SELL.

Let the property out, it will be cashflow positive and a secure asset for your return. In the meantime go do what you want ( sounds a little adolescent to me - but who cares )

Dont end up lostinrent like the STR muppets on this site.

No I mean everything, from a can of coke to a first class rail ticket! :o

I remember when I went to 'hamster-dance' and when we got the train to Vondel park from the airport, I was amazed at the price of the ticket in relation to the journey. I didnt know they had DOUBLE-DECKER trains and that there was first and second class. When we were in the SECOND-CLASS I thought we were in first-class and was hoping an inspector would not come round.

I think this country could learn a lot from Amsterdam. The pissing in the street is a BIG NO-NO!!! but their relaxed attitudes are stop on. Their responsibility with drugs was second to nonoe. Now I dont take drugs through choice rather than a moral standpoint, but when they were selling a particular 'wacky-backy' to my friends they asked what they had had before and how regular. There was on 'herb' that someone asked for, and he refused to sell it to him and suggested a milder one first. This attitude is a far cry from a 'scally' in a nightclub sellinging you sped that could well be 'scouring powder'!

The public transport tram system works efficiently. The parks are clean and SAFE! Then there is their attitude to prostitution. They run that section so efficiently. NO stigmata to anything and they girls and the punters are safe. Did not seem to be overrun by 'mafia' types. The policing in the area was visible, but relaxed.

The only problem I had was loads of africans asking for a guy called 'charlie' :blink:

Never ever got to me meet him ;)

TB

No insults taken mate :)

When you say attendant risk what do you mean?

Attendant risk is not having the basic barrier to chavs living next door (though I KNOW it's not infallible) - that they have to buy the house and it's beyond their budget - though it sounds like that one's covered off if it's hardly council chavs everywhere. I looked at buying my gran's old council house in her name but the place turned into asylum seeker and smack alley in about 12 months.

BTW, it looks like it's a pretty decent job you've made of it.Oh and by the way, I would hedge it and rent it out and go travelling - less cash to spend, but given Ashford's position, you are not going to struggle to get the mortgage back in rent (are you ?) - at risk of being MEW Man, you could probably take out £20K to fund that travel and still be quids in on the mortgage - but PLEASE think long and hard before doing anything like this.... - the problem with renting is the mess that 8 Polish builders will make of your new decor and whether you want to have to tidy it all up again when you come back.

Edited by Rachman

Guest The_Oldie

Dont end up lostinrent like the STR muppets on this site.

How about multiple identity muppets then?

Please advise which three of your four registrations to delete.

glorious-to-be-rich

deng ping

lostinrent

odaat

Edit:- On second thoughts, having read some of the antagonistic drivel that you post, I've banned all four.......Goodbye!

"self employed - other cat. - actually I am a property developer / BTL landlord :P

making profit renting bricks and mortar to the well read and the well educated.

used to be a PAYE - tooo many job titles in the past.

Love to read HPC once in a while - as long as you are grumbling - all is OK ;)

Its idiots like you who need to put down the paper and see what is happening you smug little git.

If your cash is in the bank and you are waiting for price falls - well bully for you. Just remember karma comes knocking and you may just find the very "system" that you so hated may just take more from you than your deposit as well.

You have no idea what my personal circumstances, yet you feel I am the sad one :blink: yess now I get it, if you do not fit the houseprice crash smug group and feel so kool for renting, then its pick on the new guy and start flaming - twit.

My little brothers,

it is glorious to be rich.

Come out of the fields, remove yourself of the land and its politik. March the great road to the city. Arm yourself with knowledge. The great fight is with pen, paper money and shares.

We will rule through profit.

Glorious To Be Rich

Go to Amsterdam for a year and then come back to find that house prices will have doubled whilst you were away.

Don't believe the doom-mongers. They only want to drag you down with them. I have visited this website many times and not once have I ever seen a relevant post describing what is really happening in this country. This website is a complete waste of time and is just attracting a load of whingers and losers.

Go to Amsterdam for a year and then come back to find that house prices will have doubled whilst you were away.

Don't believe the doom-mongers. They only want to drag you down with them. I have visited this website many times and not once have I ever seen a relevant post describing what is really happening in this country. This website is a complete waste of time and is just attracting a load of whingers and losers.

Thanks for the advice Bruno...good to know there is someone as knowledgable on this site...I was beginning to give up hope.

I went against the grain should i say...

and bought a flat last year... for £200k

Just sold it for £230k a few days ago, £3k below asking price...

£30k made in just over a year...

NOT BAD ME THINKS

feel free to whinge guys...

ash29

unless you:-

1. didn't pay stamp duty, legal fees, survey fees,...

2. didn't pay for any works on moving in etc,

and

3. didn't pay legal fees, estate agents fees etc. on exit,

I don't think your "profit is a high as you make it out to be ...

awooga