House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Average Joe

I Want In Now

sorry if already posted

might be worth a look (and a good laugh :P ).....

I Want It Now

Penny Smith presents an aspirational series that takes a sideways swipe at consumerism. Chris and Helen are about to buy a holiday home in picturesque rural France, but it's a massive investment and they have potentially got a lot to lose. The couple are going to re-mortgage their four-bedroomed family home in Suffolk to realise their dream. Despite the fact that they do not speak French and have scant knowledge of the foreign property market, they are convinced they are doing the right thing.

bbc1........not bb1 as in title....duh!

Edited by Average Joe

sorry if already posted

I Want It Now

Penny Smith presents an aspirational series that takes a sideways swipe at consumerism. Chris and Helen are about to buy a holiday home in picturesque rural France, but it's a massive investment and they have potentially got a lot to lose. The couple are going to re-mortgage their four-bedroomed family home in Suffolk to realise their dream. Despite the fact that they do not speak French and have scant knowledge of the foreign property market, they are convinced they are doing the right thing.

Baa Baa BTL, Baa Baa Holiday Home Abroad!!

Baa Baa Release Equity in Home!!

What's the point when most working people only get a couple of weeks off in the summer!!??!

Stupid twonks. About to blow the equity in their family home which they probably bought for a song 5 years ago to waste it on a run down holiday home in France. Wouldn't they be better off keeping the equity in their home and renting a nice villa a couple of times a year when they fancy a getaway? Seems a stupid move to me. There'll be plenty of time for that when they can enjoy it in their retirement. This would have been a reasonable and viable choice when the same places were going for £30k but now?

Guest Guy_Montag

sorry if already posted

I Want It Now

But look at the description, it's laden wuth warnings in a way we wouldn't have seen a year ago.

Guest Alright Jack

Reading this and the other post about the fecklass restaurant woman who is having a baby really worries me. I don't believe there is anyone alive today that can imagine the pain that is going to be felt by this nation (and the US and others) when this keynsian finale reaches its climax...

I don't even think the well-to-do will have a significantly greater chance at surviving this nightmare as it unfolds. We have no real productive industry left in this country. Once the imports stop, it will be hunger, misery and death for so many in the UK et al.

...Third world here we come.

Guest Guy_Montag

Interesting a few of the houses are part finished... as if people ran out of money and have to sell...

I flicked over for a few minutes & noticed that. TAKE THE HINT - stay in Suffolk.

I wonder if the BBC have plans for a "I want it right now" about the perils of BTL? Seems to me they are a bit miffed that Ch4 got the monopoly on "A place in the Sun" whereas they got stuck with "Home under the hammer".

Chris and Helen seem to be another couple of ******wit property investors - Oh no they're not buying the French property they're going to buy a BTL in the UK! Arhhhhhhhh..............

...and now they are being put off the french property by being shown how to get 2 BTL flats in the UK using 2x£15k deposit!!

..oh ...now more VI sping from the BBC!!

Edited by Shamus

What a joke. That woman says how much it will really cost to buy in France, well done. Then says buy two properties in the UK and make a profit.

Lets see the examples of this then?

Lets see the figures then?

~~~~~~

I think the BBC has become worried that people are not buying in the UK anymore.

A complete joke.

Guest Riser

Simple message from the programme, don't buy abroad buy one or two BTL here in the UK 10% yield no problem. Turn £100k into £6,600 per year clear profit no problems, no bullsh!t :lol:

2 x £100k properties in Colchester net £6,600 then take a holiday to Thailand.

No mention of debt, risks, commitment, voids, resale costs, legislation, marketing, nothing :blink:

Nice to see at the end that the couple may be civil servants but they weren't stupid enough to buy into the UK BTL route, they are now looking for properties in Spain, nice timing guys :)

Damm missed the Top Gear repeat.

Edited by Riser

Guest Guy_Montag

can we not see 5 years later, rather than 1 month, when having bought the farmhouse, she's on the game & they've flogged their kids to the Bulgarian mafia.

it would be much more entertaining.

The couple may be stupid but it seems they know when to draw the line. It's almost like the BBC were trying to hoodwink them and change their motive from a holiday home to something they had no desire for. They were almost belittled into feeling idiots because they didn't go for Penny Smiths alternative. Reckless programming IMO.

I'm totally shocked.

So 2x£100k BTLs will return a net (before tax) return of £6.6k

£85k (the money to borrow on one house) @ 5% (25bp above BoE rate) = £4,250 + £3,300 (their profit) minus 10% agent fees means they need a rental income of £8,388. That's a yield of 8.38%!!!!

Where can you get properties with that yield??? FFS.

I'm totally shocked.

£85k (the money to borrow on one house) @ 5% (25bp above BoE rate) = £4,250 + £3,300 (their profit) minus 10% agent fees means they need a rental income of £8,388. That's a yield of 8.38%!!!!

I believe TTRTR and ImUPNorth have bought homes in JAVA. There is shortage of housing there so the RENTAL market is booming!!!!!

TB

*Soz, sick joke but IT WOULD NOT SURPRISE ME!!!!

Guest Riser

I'm totally shocked.

Pampas Close,Highwoods,COLCHESTER,ESSEX £725 per month Rent

http://www.houseprices.co.uk/e.php?q=%22pa...e%22+colchester Average 180k

That would be a yield of around 4.8% before costs :blink:

Ant the BTL advisor suggested they could get £800 per month for something costing £80k, perhaps something like this

Studio Flat

or

one Bed Flat

In fact it looks like the only thing for that price is a 1 bed or studio flat.

BBC I want it NOW !!!

Edited by Riser

Did anyone just see this programme? OMFG!

This was ramping on a whole new level, they did all they could to dissuade people from buying abroad, they did some sums on a property in France and worked out it would make a £11,000 loss each year, or a £110,000 loss over a decade (yes, we live in a world without inflation or indexing). They said that Spain was basically full of unscruplous crooks, don't buy there (!). The fact French regulations prevent you from leveraging into neg-equity or above 1/3 of your monthly salary was also touted as a "disadvantage". Then they pulled a blinder, if they instead used the £30k deposit to buy two BTL's in England they'd make £6600 a year, just like that. See, £11k loss or £6k profit? get it thicko? Buy in the UK and keep away from the frogs and crafty Spaniards!

So there you have it folks, if you want to be happy don't buy abroad, but prop-up invest in the UK property market.

This the BBC.

[redirected from this thread]

No mention of debt, risks, commitment, voids, resale costs, legislation, marketing, nothing :blink:

Quite, they're reeling in the last muppets now, by the time something is on primetime BBC One at 7pm it's far too late, as they say, by the time you see a bandwagon you've missed it!

If you mentioned equities to them they would express their fears surrounding the stock market, if you mentioned leveraged equities or margin buying and the risks involved they would be pretty well shitting themselves, yet if the latter applies to property then it's no problem at all! We didn't even get to see the properties with their mystical yields, this was simply a sure thing, pure alchemy!

Of course if the Beeb had just done such a show ramping the stock market they would get sued to hell and back, but with the unregulated property market it's fine. Boy, this is going to get ugly, people will want somebody to blame for their own stupidity once this thing turns sour.

Did anyone see the irony in filming them going to the dog track and losing their stakes? They also received their "investment advice" there too :lol:

Edited by BuyingBear

I'm totally shocked.

Pure f*cking fantasy. That was disgraceful ramping - it really should be illegal. Utterly untrue, and utterly irresponsible. Scumbags.