House Price Crash Forum

If You Had A Time Machine

HOLA441

For as long as i've been a member of hpc, non home owners have blamed the likes of TTRTR for not being able to get onto the property ladder.

If you could go back to the late 1990's and buy a family home and a buy-to-let property would you?Please be honest!

If the answer is no then please keep on moaning.

If the answer is yes, just accept that you missed an opportunity and stop blaming others.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

For as long as i've been a member of hpc, non home owners have blamed the likes of TTRTR for not being able to get onto the property ladder.

If you could go back to the late 1990's and buy a family home and a buy-to-let property would you?Please be honest!

If the answer is yes, just accept that you missed an opportunity and stop blaming others.

Nope, I'd buy the biggest house possible and live like a hermit for a few years, then I'd down grade!!

In 1999 the biggest mortgage I was allowed was 66K (I was on 22K) - in hindsight I'd have saved more

money from 1992 - 1996 - but then I did start working at 17 and just wanted to enjoy myself.

HOLA444
HOLA445

If I had a time machine I'd go back to see something more interesting than the UK circa 1990's.

HOLA446
HOLA447

No.

If I had the income and savings I have today I'd buy a big house in a nice area, but I certainly wouldn't BTL: I have no interest in being a landlord.

But if you had bought those BTLs in 1997, you could have cashed out in late 2004 and not only owned your own home but never had to work again either ? [DA mode off]

HOLA448
HOLA449
But if you had bought those BTLs in 1997, you could have cashed out in late 2004 and not only owned your own home but never had to work again either?

And? I still have no interest in being a landlord.

HOLA4410

No, because I was not in a position to buy anything back then, I was too young.

If the conditions were the same now as they were then, well no I still wouldnt. I would probably buy myself a one/two bedroom flat in a reasonable part of Edinburgh. Just now i can only afford to move to West Pilton and other suitably horrible areas so I wont do it.

HOLA4411

Are you mad? Of course! I'd mortgage up to the hilt and buy as many properties as I possibly could.

HOLA4412

I've no interest in robbing other people of an affordable place to live, in fact, I think BTL is an incredibly selfish way to try & make money.

I would have bought the best property I could have afforded at the time which would have been a lot better than I can afford now, which is just about nothing!

If I had decided to invest in property I would have bought a piece of land that was likely to be designated for development, built on it and sold the new properties on.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

If you could buy all the food up and sell it on for a profit, the government would do something about it. As its housing, they don't bother - the filthy swines!

EDIT: sorry - just ranting!

Edited by OzzMosiz

HOLA4415

I wasn't in a position to buy back then - but if I was I would have, but not a BTL

I am not in a postion to buy now either (because of higher house prices). But if I could I would.

Nothing has changed for me.

I have spent the last seven years working to stand still....story of new labour society really!!!!!

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

No. I wasn't in a position to buy then, I only left school in 1995 and only earnt about £100 - £120 a week until 2000. So by the time I wanted to buy I was 23 and already priced out of the market. So I chose to just live and be young.

If I could go back a few years I would forget about getting a good job and earning a decent wage, paying my taxes duely along the way and just go travelling for a couple of years. As staying here and working has not got me very far, though I have learned along the way to have no debt and a pile of savings, still gets me nowhere though!!

Oh and I wouldn't buy a second property as it's been hard enough to get the first (what am I talking about I don't have one!) and I don't want the hassle of being a landlord!

Edited by Jitters

HOLA4419

Sod houses!

Who else is up for a dinosaur safari?

2000AD "Flesh" stylee. Count me in.

HOLA4420

What a fatuous load of rubbish you are posting there!

What about all the people who were still in education, or had only just started work and so were not in the property market back then? And what about people who would acknowledge that while they could have made money by getting into BTL, they have no interest in it. Or the people who think it should be illegal, because it is effectively resource hogging, and roughly equivalent to buying up significant portions of the food supply, dumping half of it, and selling what's left back at a profit.

There are all sorts of reasons why people can't or wouldn't want to do this.

Personally, I'm tiring of this sort of post on the forum. We've been through it before. It's not a new idea. Get over it.

I would support transferring this sort of post to a "done before" section.

Edited by Levy process

HOLA4421

I've no interest in robbing other people of an affordable place to live, in fact, I think BTL is an incredibly selfish way to try & make money.

I would have bought the best property I could have afforded at the time which would have been a lot better than I can afford now, which is just about nothing!

If I had decided to invest in property I would have bought a piece of land that was likely to be designated for development, built on it and sold the new properties on.

Where to start?!?!?!?!?

How is buying a BTL (or home) robbing people of an affordable place to live?

(1) How can any one person affect the whole market?

(2) If you do play your part in pushing up prices by buying a BTL then surely you are also helping to drive down rents by increasing supply of rental accomodation.

(3) What constitutes a selfish way of making money? How do you define that?

(4) What is so good about developing? Would you have sold the built houses at a profit? (if so you'd be depriving others who could have built the homes for social houusing or self-builders who could afford the plot and materials but not the completed property.)

I believe people have a right to affordable housing, but that is not the same as saying that people have a right to buy a cheap home.

You are very anti-BTL, but had it not occurred to you that if there was no BTL then there would be little private rented accomodation leaving people to live at home until they can afford to buy (unless they can get into council housing or decided to sleep rough).

HOLA4422

What a fatuous load of rubbish you are posting there!

What about all the people who were still in education, or had only just started work and so were not in the property market back then? And what about people who would acknowledge that while they could have made money by getting into BTL, they have no interest in it. Or the people who think it should be illegal, because it is effectively resource hogging, and roughly equivalent to buying up significant portions of the food supply, dumping half of it, and selling what's left back at a profit.

There are all sorts of reasons why people can't or wouldn't want to do this.

Personally, I'm tiring of this sort of post on the forum. We've been through it before. It's not a new idea. Get over it.

If you are so bored of this sort of post, why bother to reply let alone read it?

My question doesn't have to apply to everyone, only the ones that respond.

A large percentage of topics have been discussed over and over. What may start as one topic often changes to another.

Repeated threads will always be repeated by those that don't have 24 hour access to hpc and new members.

What was true about a particular thread a year ago may not be true today. Opinions and circumstances continously change.

I think you are confusing a forum with an archive :P

HOLA4423

If you are so bored of this sort of post, why bother to reply let alone read it?

My question doesn't have to apply to everyone, only the ones that respond.

A large percentage of topics have been discussed over and over. What may start as one topic often changes to another.

Repeated threads will always be repeated by those that don't have 24 hour access to hpc and new members.

What was true about a particular thread a year ago may not be true today. Opinions and circumstances continously change.

I think you are confusing a forum with an archive :P

Personally I think it's a perfectly legitimate question.

There's no point in people saying "but I couldn't have bought then I was a student" or whatever. The hypothesis is had you been in a position to buy/BTL back then, with the resources needed, would you have done it?

The reason it's a good question is that it poses the question: do I find BTL intrinsically bad and something I would never do myself? Or is at least some of my hostility towards it based on the feeling of frustration and annoyance that I wasn't in the right place at the right time, and able to do it myself?

You may well feel you fall into the first category, and fair play to you. But it's a valid question.

Just my view, but it seems to me that a lot of the understandable anger on these forums is generated by resentment that "I missed out last time round while you didn't" rather than the view that BTL is essentially bad, even if it's the latter that is often put forward as the reason.

However, I'd balance that by saying that it's not dignified for people to gloat about being a successful BTL, when really all you've done is to take a gamble on something in which the odds were hugely in your favour.

HOLA4424

Personally I think it's a perfectly legitimate question.

There's no point in people saying "but I couldn't have bought then I was a student" or whatever. The hypothesis is had you been in a position to buy/BTL back then, with the resources needed, would you have done it?

The reason it's a good question is that it poses the question: do I find BTL intrinsically bad and something I would never do myself? Or is at least some of my hostility towards it based on the feeling of frustration and annoyance that I wasn't in the right place at the right time, and able to do it myself?

You may well feel you fall into the first category, and fair play to you. But it's a valid question.

Just my view, but it seems to me that a lot of the understandable anger on these forums is generated by resentment that "I missed out last time round while you didn't" rather than the view that BTL is essentially bad, even if it's the latter that is often put forward as the reason.

However, I'd balance that by saying that it's not dignified for people to gloat about being a successful BTL, when really all you've done is to take a gamble on something in which the odds were hugely in your favour.

Ok, ok let's start again.

No I would / won't become a BTL'er if the chance arises. All I want from life is a decent standard of living, that I have worked for. I don't want to "get rich quick or die trying". I might get a second house if finances allow it not for the purpose of renting but to get some of my family out of the shithole areas they live in where people get shot/knifed/robbed every week, as they don't have the means to do it themselves.

Life is not only about money!!

HOLA4425

Ok, ok let's start again.

No I would / won't become a BTL'er if the chance arises. All I want from life is a decent standard of living, that I have worked for. I don't want to "get rich quick or die trying". I might get a second house if finances allow it not for the purpose of renting but to get some of my family out of the shithole areas they live in where people get shot/knifed/robbed every week, as they don't have the means to do it themselves.

Life is not only about money!!

Couldn't agree more. :)