House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Houses With Swimming Pools

I think this may have been covered before - not sure though.

What is the score with houses with swimming pools?

Do they sell well or does the potential upkeep of the pool put some people off?

I have been told before they devalue a house because of the costs of keeping them clean/running. I guess it depends on the pool ;p

I have no idea.

But if I had to guess I'd say that I would expect them to do very well while the economy is healthy (boom years) and to do very poorly when the economy is not looking rosy - like now (bust years).

I looked at several house with pools.

An outdoor pool is the biggest issue.

Lots of people with small kids are terrified by the thought of Tarquin drowning, so they won't buy one with a pool.

They add nothing to the value of the home, but do make some homes more saleable to the market with older kids, near me about 10% of homes have proper pools. Running costs are not that relevant provided it's a 'substantial' house - if you able to spend £500K plus (and a lot more in the SE) on a large house, what's a grand or so every year on running an outdoor pool ?

I would happily have taken one, but I certainly was not paying extra for it.

And indoor pool complex is a different deal, but there's a world of difference between half the horrors out there and a proper heated pool complex..... [and I can't afford one with a proper complex]

Edited by Rachman

Cheers

This is actually a fairly 'run of the mill' house - not a large, expensive house at all.

It just happens to have a large garden and the owners have put an outdoor pool in.

I was curious because houses on this particualr road tend to sell very well and quickly - but this one has been hanging around for a while now.

Cheers

This is actually a fairly 'run of the mill' house - not a large, expensive house at all.

It just happens to have a large garden and the owners have put an outdoor pool in.

I was curious because houses on this particualr road tend to sell very well and quickly - but this one has been hanging around for a while now.

Is the pool heated or does it need a chunk of work to it - especially does it leak ? You can easily chuck a few K at a leaking pool or to replace the heating system for one. An old grubby pool makes your house look like a 2 star Benidorm hotel in 1983. Does it have any evidence of maintenance - anyone who cares for a pool will have a pool firm that do it - may be worth calling them if you think it's a big issue.

Thanks

It looks Ok but nothing special - to me it looks like a liability that is putting people off.

I am more interested in the house than the pool and I am hoping that the pool will devalue the house/make it difficult to sell and possibly allow us to get in with a lower offer.

We have a friend who can maintain pools - so for us it wouldn;t be too much of a problem but it would for others.

Outdoor pools are seen as somewhat of a negative and certainly don't add anything to value - difficult to say how much of a negative impact they have on price.

Combination of cost (to maintain), safety with young children and the sh!t weather we have in this country!!

Guest Winners and Losers

In Oz, having a pool might add a little value in terms of dollars, but probably not what it costs to have one put in. The value lies in those who are looking for a house with a pool (as they will be prepared to pay more). In my neighbourhood the council have put a limit on the number of inground pools allowed to be built as well, so a house with a pool could get a premium.

Obviously though, you do get more people wanting pools in Oz - who wants to go to the beach with all those bombarding waves, sand, kids and fat people?? :unsure::blink:

But, at the end of the day (like everything), its only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it! So, short answer is NO, it does not really add value but might add appeal (leading to quicker sale).

Also, in Oz most pools are now saltwater (pretty self maintaining).

Lots of people with small kids are terrified by the thought of Tarquin drowning, so they won't buy one with a pool.

Hence why you teach your children how to swim and supervise them at all times in the pool, which should be fenced off with child proof gates. :rolleyes:

Edited by Winners and Losers

Hence why you teach your children how to swim and supervise them at all times in the pool, which should be fenced off with child proof gates. :rolleyes:

Which is logical, but the irrational fear is of that once that the kid turns into a Houdini then tries to impersonate David Blaine..... :)

Pool owners would probably get to use them as often as I used my beach buggy before I sold it.

The best few days of the year when it is sunny but for me not worth the hassle of MOT, insurance etc.

I guess running cost of a pool would put buyers off similarly. But if someone can afford then why not.

I'd imagine every "pooled" property poses its own individual pros and cons.

my dear old folks bought their post family retirement spread a little over 5 years ago. It came with a smallish sized goggle-shaped outdoor pool which was always seen as a bonus rather than something they wanted or needed. The following summer the pump/heating packed up and mosaic tiles started falling off the inside. the following year it became evident that it was leaking and needed a considerable amount of work done to it.

The cost to demolish it and fill with earth and lawn over was approx 60% of cost of getting it useable again - a no brainer. they now have a gorgeous garden and no pool maintenance/heating costs and have Perhaps increased the sellability of their home!

I'd imagine every "pooled" property poses its own individual pros and cons.

my dear old folks bought their post family retirement spread a little over 5 years ago. It came with a smallish sized goggle-shaped outdoor pool which was always seen as a bonus rather than something they wanted or needed. The following summer the pump/heating packed up and mosaic tiles started falling off the inside. the following year it became evident that it was leaking and needed a considerable amount of work done to it.

The cost to demolish it and fill with earth and lawn over was approx 60% of cost of getting it useable again - a no brainer. they now have a gorgeous garden and no pool maintenance/heating costs and have Perhaps increased the sellability of their home!

completely off topic but i've always thought there was a great joke in a communist going to buckingham palace for for cake and biccies with the queen and "proper tea" being theft. But I've never quite written it.

Some while ago, I remember reading some estate agents' comments on this subject. Although I can't recall the exact details, the general opinion was that a pool puts off a HUGE number of prospective buyers. By 'HUGE' I mean something like 19 out of 20 buyers won't touch them with a bargepole. It's a real turn-off.

p

I heard Barrymore's having trouble selling his..............

There's few other things you can do that will devalue a house this effectively.