House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

B B C: House Prices May Rise 25% This Year In Wales

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/5028852.stm

'Worrisome' rise in house prices

Houses in Wales have become some of the least affordable in Britain, new research for BBC Wales' current affairs programme Week In Week Out has found.
The average house in Wales costs more than £145,000, more than six times the average Welsh salary of £23,500.
New figures due to be released by Wales' largest building society, the Principality, will show prices have risen by 6.3% in the first quarter of this year, and could
reach as much as 25%
if they continue to rise at the same pace.
But it also talks to some winners in the rising property market, the new breed of investor freeing up equity in their homes for "buy-to-let" schemes.

Better get in quick in Wales then to be among the winners with that equity to be released and spent! :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/5028852.stm

prices have risen by 6.3% in the first quarter of this year, and could reach as much as 25% if they continue to rise at the same pace.

Yes....and my son has grown over a foot in the last 2 years - so in 20 years time he will be over 15 ft tall "if he continues to rise at the same pace"

:lol::lol:

Now come on play fair, we accuse the BBC of spin and twisting the news but we're doing exactly the same. This is one of the most bearish things I've seen from the BBC in a long time. To quote a bit more from the BBC Wales article:

"Houses in Wales have become some of the least affordable in Britain, new research for BBC Wales' current affairs programme Week In Week Out has found.

The average house in Wales costs more than £145,000, more than six times the average Welsh salary of £23,500.

Property experts have warned that it means buyers in Wales are among the most stretched in the UK.

And more people are competing for social housing, at a time when stocks have dwindled, the programme finds.

The programme screened on Tuesday looks at the human cost of spiralling house prices, from first-time buyers struggling to get on the ladder to families left homeless after re-possession. "

<snip>

"Property economist Ed Stansfield tells the programme: "If you are to look at the gap between average earnings in Wales and average prices in Wales, then Wales is one of the regions of the country where the statistics look most worrisome.

"In London, prices are, in absolute terms, far more expensive than in Wales, but the gap between prices and earnings in London is less marked than it is in Wales." "

Another reason why Interest Rates should NEVER NEVER NEVER have been cut to 4.5% last Autumn, and should in fact now be over 5% to try and stop this madness.

It's time to stop placating the Interest Rate Whingers like the retailers and people like David Smith.

IT'S TIME TO GET TOUGH !

Another reason why Interest Rates should NEVER NEVER NEVER have been cut to 4.5% last Autumn, and should in fact now be over 5% to try and stop this madness.

It's time to stop placating the Interest Rate Whingers like the retailers and people like David Smith.

IT'S TIME TO GET TOUGH !

Exactly! The borrowers have had their time. Now its time for the savers to have their turn.

Wales will be one of the hardest hit places when the crash arrives. The economy down there isn't robust enough to support London prices, and once prices head south they will go very fast.

Wales will be one of the hardest hit places when the crash arrives. The economy down there isn't robust enough to support London prices, and once prices head south they will go very fast.

Thats what I dislike so much about this site. People who state the blOOdy obvious as though they had just discovered something the rest of the world doesn't already know. Of course prices in Wales are silly. It has nothing to do with the welsh economy. It is English people getting away from ChavLand having sold to speculators and will continue to be so regardless of what happens to prices overall.

Edited by nodumsunreader

Of course prices in Wales are silly. It has nothing to do with the welsh economy. It is English people getting away from ChavLand having sold to speculators and will continue to be so regardless of what happens to prices overall.

You think I want to live in Wales? Of course I don't, but it's the only bloody place I can afford a house! :)

my c0ck grew a 1cm last week, if this carrys on i will have the biggest c0 ck the world has seen by the end of the year

That's nothing; mine grew several inches in the last few seconds. Certainly something to drop into the conversation at the next dinner party.

Edited by JJJ

That's nothing; mine grew several inches in the last few seconds. Certainly something to drop into the conversation at the next dinner party.

10 inches here. It's a purley speculative rise though.

Prices have not risen in Wales over the past year let alone the 1st quarter of 2006. The only strong hold left are the valleys and even they are showing signs of slow down. VI spin I believe...

I have been keeping an eye on the Bridgend, Pontyclun and the Rhondda Valley.. Would be interested to hear off other Welsh HPC on their views.

Prices have not risen in Wales over the past year let alone the 1st quarter of 2006. The only strong hold left are the valleys and even they are showing signs of slow down. VI spin I believe...

I have been keeping an eye on the Bridgend, Pontyclun and the Rhondda Valley.. Would be interested to hear off other Welsh HPC on their views.

Friend has knocked off £40k,yes £40k for a really nice house in Swansea.Been on the market since Christmas.Sold @ £125k.

Friend has knocked off £40k,yes £40k for a really nice house in Swansea.Been on the market since Christmas.Sold @ £125k.

How much should I try to get off a £300k Welsh smallholding? I was thinking of £50k but they still seem to be selling fast. I've been looking at the market in Pembs/Carms for a year or two and prices seem to be holding up. Anyhow, off to see a couple at the weekend. I want out of ChavLand and might just offer more in desperation. Advice please.

Edited by nodumsunreader