House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RichM

Grand Designs Revisited Tonight

One of the few property programs with integrity.

Kevin McCloud is absolutely superb.

Indeed, but sadly wasted, you can only build what is prescribed in this country, or a compromised version thereof. The opinion of a team of top international architects counts for nothing if Ms Busybody on the local planning committee doesn't approve.

Indeed, but sadly wasted, you can only build what is prescribed in this country, or a compromised version thereof. The opinion of a team of top international architects counts for nothing if Ms Busybody on the local planning committee doesn't approve.

Can someone write a short paragraph overview of what happened for those who didn't see it?

Billy Shears

Some of the GD projects - such as the Woodsmans cottage - were visionary. Others were yet more emperors-new-clothes rubbish, the couple doing a nubuild shite&statusbox in Scotland-next-to-a-cesspool spring to mind.

The conversion of the old resistance building in France that was burnt down by the Nazis into a rather lovely B&B was also superb. I struggle to think of any other project I would want to be involved in.

Some of the GD projects - such as the Woodsmans cottage - were visionary. Others were yet more emperors-new-clothes rubbish, the couple doing a nubuild shite&statusbox in Scotland-next-to-a-cesspool spring to mind.

The outside and form was dictated by the local planning office!

The outside and form was dictated by the local planning office!

I don't doubt it. The stranglehold on inspirational development in this country is a disgrace. :angry:

Houses are just houses and I guess that if everything else that we consume has improved and become cheaper - food, electronics, clothing - then there's no reason why homes shouldn't have improved.

I would just like a 3-bed place somewhere. Some nobbers' wet dream fantasy about chestnut panelling and open-plan living is just like salt in the wound :(

And it did look like the Big Brother house tonight. :lol: Ahh, you can't MEW class...

Does that mean that women will instantly get their jugs out in the jacuzzi?

No but they will enjoy, ahem, 'drinking' bottled beers in the garden. :lol::unsure:

Houses are just houses and I guess that if everything else that we consume has improved and become cheaper - food, electronics, clothing - then there's no reason why homes shouldn't have improved.

Houses are more than that RichM. Me, I would be happy with a 1-bed thatched cottage in a nice village. But the market has other ideas.

Can someone write a short paragraph overview of what happened for those who didn't see it?

Billy Shears

Couple build a fascinating property..

hats of to them..

Of course it goes massivlt over budget and time..

but that is grand designs for you..

:)

Does that mean that women will instantly get their jugs out in the jacuzzi?

I can't be certain what you mean by this, but my mother keeps her jugs in a cupboard in the kitchen above the "emergency" plates. :unsure:

The conversion of the old resistance building in France that was burnt down by the Nazis into a rather lovely B&B was also superb. I struggle to think of any other project I would want to be involved in.

I thought the white cube was a fantastic new build. Quite possibly the highest spec house in modern times. I actually don't think I'd like to live in it but for sheer design quality is is without peer.

http://www.thebigwhitehouse.com/the%5Fproject/

Not long after the show I had an email conversation with Tom the owner who let me into a few little interesting G.D secrets regarding costs etc....

Cheers

Richard

I thought the white cube was a fantastic new build. Quite possibly the highest spec house in modern times. I actually don't think I'd like to live in it but for sheer design quality is is without peer.

Hrm, modern times, I wouldn't be half surprised if I encountered a plaque that said "Ministry of Works on behalf on the Air Ministry - 1939" ;)

Guest Baffled_by_it_all

Property programmes generally infuriate me but I love Grand Designs. It gives you more insight into the construction process and a lot of the people are genuinely doing something different.

My favourite was the couple who bought an old water pumping station just outside Leeds and did all the work themselves. The husband got vibration white finger from all the drilling. Fair play to him.

It's streets ahead of the bland fitted kitchen and laminate floor lot.

Guest X-QUORK

Not long after the show I had an email conversation with Tom the owner who let me into a few little interesting G.D secrets regarding costs etc....

Don't be a tease, tell us more! :rolleyes: