House Price Crash Forum

£428 Per Square Foot In Cambridge

HOLA441
HOLA442

I've had a look around these, merely out of curiosity (I think the saleswoman spotted this immediately :)). They are nice, and currently very white and sparkly with 2-3 balconies, but not much more room than a typical Victorian Terrace.

Not even sure you get free wellies next time the Cam floods!

HOLA443

I've had a look around these, merely out of curiosity (I think the saleswoman spotted this immediately :)). They are nice, and currently very white and sparkly with 2-3 balconies, but not much more room than a typical Victorian Terrace.

Not even sure you get free wellies next time the Cam floods!

I well remember sandbagging friends' houses along this stretch of the Cam as it rose in around 1980/81 - though this was back a few hundered metres along Riverside towards the Elizabeth Way flyover. I certainly wouldn't buy without checking the flooding chances and the availability of insurance. Also from the look of it these new flats are built on the old gasworks site - it was declared dangerously polluted at the time it was decommissioned - but it could have been cleaned up of course.

HOLA444

I've seen these apartments and "duplex" is a bit of a misnomer: the upper floor is a tiny open mezzanine (with the kitchen on it) and the sitting area downstairs. Apart from wondering what market they've aiming at (surely only older/retired couples would want a 2-bed flat at 400k, and would they then want an apartment with the kitchen perched on a mezzanine gallery inside the living room, with a narrow steep staircase up to it??? Not what I'd want if I was 60), they are incredibly small. If you had 400k to spend why on earth would you buy this?? It's the size of a starter flat! The mind boggles. Same applies to "Senses" next door: I can't for the life of me see why anyone would want to spend 400k on a 2-bed flat looking over Tesco carpark when you could buy a decent house for that money in a far nicer area of Cambridge.

I mean, 400k for a 2-bed flat off Newmarket Road! It's not Belgravia, FFS!!! :o Considering that a friend of mine lives in a lovely, (rented) spacious 2-bed flat in a nice area of Primrose Hill that the landlady can't manage to flog at 415k, I'm absolutely amazed that anyone in Cambridge has the nerve to try to sell their overpriced development at that price!!!

Edited by Zaranna