House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
debtfree

Credit Junkie Has Replaced The Yuppie Cocaine Addict

hi, (or high on credit)

1st and utmost, unbelievable is my first words.

just spent a day with some credit junkies. amazing.

what sort of a world do we live in these days.

am i old fashioned ? the thought of being in debt makes me feel trapped and sick.

but for some, it's almost the answer for everything and the whole reason for doing things in life.

its like 'ah, i feel better now because i've GOT what i WANT'

i just met up with an old friend who has taken on board the whole monty (kids, home and a missus) the female in the relationship is finishing a course next year. she sat their happy as pie with a new everything.... bike , car, house... etc

a) she owes 7K in student debts

B) the first thing she will do when passing the course is to 'reward' her self for 'doing the course' is to buy a brand new 4x4' ??????????

c) next, is a new carpet 'now' for the house on interest free credit payable next year ?

d) extend the house and kitchen as its only on a mortgage interest only and they can 'AFFORD' it ?

e) not joint mortgage because she has bad credit ?

its almost head banging material, what the F$%k is my first thought.

stupid dumb cow is the 2nd. and 3rd, my mate is a twit for following her down a path laced with grease.

THIS is what we are dealing with. there will be no HPC because 90% of the population are addicts on credit. plastic minds and plastic people. its the NEW generation of senseless numb nuts that only care about themselves and have a pigeon sized brain. put a bar code on their head marked mastercard or visa and they'd be happy.

have Nu Labour created a generation that is totally numb and void to any sense at all ?

its almost as if they are totally desperate and submissive before any sort of fight at all. yes sir, i'll give up my life to pay you all my wages in return for a roof over my head and to keep the economy going....

i have to finish here before i end up like brainclamps avatar.

good night, what a mad world.

Edited by debtfree

hi, (or high on credit)

1st and utmost, unbelievable is my first words.

just spent a day with some credit junkies. amazing.

what sort of a world do we live in these days.

am i old fashioned ? the thought of being in debt makes me feel trapped and sick.

but for some, it's almost the answer for everything and the whole reason for doing things in life.

its like 'ah, i feel better now because i've GOT what i WANT'

i just met up with an old friend who has taken on board the whole monty (kids, home and a missus) the female in the relationship is finishing a course next year. she sat their happy as pie with a new everything.... bike , car, house... etc

a) she owes 7K in student debts

B) the first thing she will do when passing the course is to 'reward' her self for 'doing the course' is to buy a brand new 4x4' ??????????

c) next, is a new carpet 'now' for the house on interest free credit payable next year ?

d) extend the house and kitchen as its only on a mortgage interest only and they can 'AFFORD' it ?

e) not joint mortgage because she has bad credit ?

its almost head banging material, what the F$%k is my first thought.

stupid dumb cow is the 2nd. and 3rd, my mate is a twit for following her down a path laced with grease.

THIS is what we are dealing with. there will be no HPC because 90% of the population are addicts on credit. plastic minds and plastic people. its the NEW generation of senseless numb nuts that only care about themselves and have a pigeon sized brain. put a bar code on their head marked mastercard or visa and they'd be happy.

have Nu Labour created a generation that is totally numb and void to any sense at all ?

its almost as if they are totally desperate and submissive before any sort of fight at all. yes sir, i'll give up my life to pay you all my wages in return for a roof over my head and to keep the economy going....

i have to finish here before i end up like brainclamps avatar.

good night, what a mad world.

THIS is what we are dealing with. there will be no HPC because 90% of the population are addicts on credit. plastic minds and plastic people.

The desire is unlimited but the means certainly is not, we now have pitiful wage inflation so people will hit a natural carrying limit. Even with IO the interest payments cannot exceed your monthly salary (not for long, anyway).

She's having 'consumer confidence' - just as instructed by the government and the banks.

Retailers and Car Dealers will be looking at their balance sheets, pat themelves on the back, and budget for even greater sales next year.

Here, here well said. Until I found this site I was beginning to think I was very old fashioned or just damn tight.

I have to admit though I am a reformed character, in the past I have been in £9,000 debt (£3,000 student loan). I was in my early twenties and had just finished paying off the Student overdraft and thought I was sensible enough to have a credit card ( <_< )....NOT. Anyway it was a time when I fell in love with my now partner of 6 years and spent recklessly......then sat back a year and a half later and thought. Holy moly I'm in the shit creek without a paddle if I carry on like this.

So I knuckled down, didn't go out for over a year and a half, didn't buy anything, got a promotion and paid of all my debt and yes even my student loan early (silly some may say but it was better not to have it).

My fella is of the notion that if you can't afford it, don't buy it or save. Admittedly most of my debt was not due to wanting materials goods for myself here and now, as I still don't understand that mentality. I'm only 29, I had a very modest upbringing, I've had a job since I was 14 and feel that this throw away society has a lot to answer for.

What's wrong with looking after things and keeping them until they don't work anymore, or hand me down items that are good quality just don't fit the owner anymore. What's wrong with living within your means or even understanding what your means are.

It's seems "happiness" is having a big house, with a big shiny car and expensive shiny clothes that look good with the new shiny kitchen (only replaced last year) all paid for on the small shiny plastic card.

It's seems that teaching people to value money, make do with your lot and be happy with it, to not envy your neighbour for what they have but work hard to try and achieve what you want, and having the wisdom to know that having "things" don't make you happy and only support, love, time and emotional wealth actually fulfil you as a person, is all but dead.

I don't want to see a houseprice crash ruin people that is not why I wish for it I just want to see some sort of redress for the reckless way society is living. Some might say that why should I need to buy a house at all if I think that way, to which I say, I want a home, I grew up in social housing (regular burglaries, temporary housing, shared housing, kids downstairs trying to set the place alight housing...) and just want a modest and I truly mean modest, home where my children/family have the security of a home they can always come to if need be.

Am I asking too much?? :huh:

Edited by Jitters

Here, here well said. Until I found this site I was beginning to think I was very old fashioned or just damn tight.

I have to admit though I am a reformed character, in the past I have been in £9,000 debt (£3,000 student loan). I was in my early twenties and had just finished paying off the Student overdraft and thought I was sensible enough to have a credit card ( <_< )....NOT. Anyway it was a time when I fell in love with my now partner of 6 years and spent recklessly......then sat back a year and a half later and thought. Holy moly I'm in the shit creek without a paddle if I carry on like this.

So I knuckled down, didn't go out for over a year and a half, didn't buy anything, got a promotion and paid of all my debt and yes even my student loan early (silly some may say but it was better not to have it).

My fella is of the notion that if you can't afford it, don't buy it or save. Admittedly most of my debt was not due to wanting materials goods for myself here and now, as I still don't understand that mentality. I'm only 29, I had a very modest upbringing, I've had a job since I was 14 and feel that this throw away society has a lot to answer for.

What's wrong with looking after things and keeping them until they don't work anymore, or hand me down items that are good quality just don't fit the owner anymore. What's wrong with living within your means or even understanding what your means are.

It's seems "happiness" is having a big house, with a big shiny car and expensive shiny clothes that look good with the new shiny kitchen (only replaced last year) all paid for on the small shiny plastic card.

It's seems that teaching people to value money, make do with your lot and be happy with it, to not envy your neighbour for what they have but work hard to try and achieve what you want, and having the wisdom to know that having "things" don't make you happy and only support, love, time and emotional wealth actually fulfil you as a person, is all but dead.

I don't want to see a houseprice crash ruin people that is not why I wish for it I just want to see some sort of redress for the reckless way society is living. Some might say that why should I need to buy a house at all if I think that way, to which I say, I want a home, I grew up in social housing (regular burglaries, temporary housing, shared housing, kids downstairs trying to set the place alight housing...) and just want a modest and I truly mean modest, home where my children/family have the security of a home they can always come to if need be.

Am I asking too much?? :huh:

Great post.Of course it`s not asking too much.I am dumbstruck at the attitude some people have to money.Friends,even members of my own family have seemed to have lost the plot.A nephew of mine,earning just above the minimum wage has been lent £15k to buy a new car with.He`s 18 years old.

Great post.Of course it`s not asking too much.I am dumbstruck at the attitude some people have to money.Friends,even members of my own family have seemed to have lost the plot.A nephew of mine,earning just above the minimum wage has been lent £15k to buy a new car with.He`s 18 years old.

When I was 20 (a while ago now), I applied for my first credit card. I remember saying to my father: "The fools have agreed to give me a card". He replied with a shake of his head: "It's not them who are the fools".

How right he was. It was a long and painful lesson for me, but I learnt it in the end.

When I was 20 (a while ago now), I applied for my first credit card. I remember saying to my father: "The fools have agreed to give me a card". He replied with a shake of his head: "It's not them who are the fools".

How right he was. It was a long and painful lesson for me, but I learnt it in the end.

According to this fella, we're all silly credit junkies who can't our first home through sheer greed.

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=386565

Someone care to put him straight?

:angry:

Edited by Turnbull2000

I have to admit I find the credit fixation and must have mentality amazes me. I have not always been perfect and am still not yet debt free (almost there!) I now realise that buying things on credit ends up with posessions etc owning you and restricting you and your life.

I was just at a friends today, successful self-employed fella who is looking to move from a 180K house to a 425K house probably in need of 75k of updating - the reason - just married and they need a bigger garden for the dog to run around in!!!! The new (young) wife has no real idea of money and is in love with the idea of a county home I reckon

I gave them a few thoughts about debt and the fact they could pay for their place outright quite quickly and have no money problems. It must be added as well that I think his business maybe affected by a downturn that I see in the future UK economy.

I despair.........

SH

I've mentioned before about my two friends who bought in 2004 for absurd prices. Both of them are consistently in the red even after they've just been paid.

Last time I went to visit the pair of them, it was like going into another dimension. They quite calmly seemed to think that being permanently in the red was perfectly acceptable in this day and age, and were both merrily spending even more money to do up their places with the intention of selling at a profit at some later date. Both of them seemed to be brainwashed with this idea that houses always go up and up and that all their debts would disappear instantly when they sold.

Frankly, it freaked me out.

What I find amazing is the way that people are so easily convinced by marketing (one of the evils of the world IMHO).

The worst of it IMHO is the Gilette (& other razor) adverts - WTF are 4 blades better than 1, and why does it need to vibrate. And WTF should I pay £8 for something that probably gets manufactured for a few pence?

People have truly lost the sense of value.

I have money left every month which gets saved, and I have money I can spend (but which usually gets saved). And if I do decide to go and buy things I can't often think of something that I want to buy - its mostly useless cr4p that won't actually enhance your life in any way.

One of the big turning point for me was when my son was born - 'bout 8 months ago. It really puts things into perspective. Things don't make you happy, but positive experiences and happy memories do.

Whoever said you can't buy happiness was absolutely spot on.... now somebody just needs to tell the masses.

I know a couple who have done the lot.

Mewed 40k from their flat and spent it on cars/ holidays etc, they've bought 2 BTLs (new builds) which they can't rent, this weekend I found out their new kitchen, carpets and sofa etc - were all paid for on the credit card (I'd assumed it was the mewed cash).

They have been moaning about having no money over the last couple of months and the stupid thing is that they both have well paid jobs.

Needless to say at last it is all about to come on top. The redundancies have started at their respective companies and it has put the wind up them. Time to sell the BTLs. (they've only had them for a year). this is where it gets interesting. Even Houdini would have trouble escaping this one.