House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
homeless

My Trip To The Isle Of Skye

Hello all i have been off on my travels last couple weeks, and was over in skye and lochalsh.

Over there the houses are going up everywhere, skye is an island with a pop that was 12,000 till about 4 years ago this is now up to 14,000.

And everyone on the whole island is working in building work, i have never seen anything like it in my life.All they poor crofters have sold patches of land and gained planning for another kit house all over the island and this work is keeping the whole island in money.

Now heres the main thing i noticed.

caravans static and otherwise are everywhere, and unlike much of the rest of the uk, there is absolutely no stigma attached to this way of living.It is infact completely normal becuase its so widespread.Were not talking tinkers and travellers here, but ordinary people that refuse to or cant pay 250k for a kit house on a bit of hillside.This made me proud to be a scot and proud to be british, becuase it totaly struck me this is the way forward for the priced out and desperate.

Why you would be desperate at all to own a house(i admit i used to be), i now dont understand.These statics are probably roomier than the flats and houses a good majority of renters live in, they have 2 bedrooms a bath (yes a bath), sattelite tv, internet, phone, basically everything you will find in a house.

In the usa this is the same thing, people there will not work all week to just pay rent like the crazy brits will, we aint all doctors and immigration officers on 50k + a year.( some of us have to do the daily grind for much less).

Now the way this is done there is not in sites full of static residential homes where you pay about half in site rent as a flat would and sometimes more, thus making it not so economical a proposition.But it is done on common ground and hillsides and the side of barns ect. ie the people just find a decent site and sometimes throw the landowner 20 pound a month for the privledge.

It is realy all about stigma, the british are snobs, they would rather in most cases half starve for a nice little flat so there friends dont think there a gypo.

I can see this growing and growing, the last time i was on skye last year there was probably only half of the statics there is now, and its spreading all over scotland, and wales too.

And still they keep building these houses more and more, and all the locals just live in statics now and sell the houses there building to londoners ect and enjoy the life of riley on the proceeeds.

I suggest yas all look into this as a way of living and forget about houses, there over priced and you cant afford one, your wages dont buy a house thats why your here.Dont sit there scrimping and saving till your a old man just to get a crappy semi in a crappy town wasting away your youth, but get a static on free or cheap rent land and enjoy yourself while still saving for a rainy day.

And you will also be contributing to the great btl disaster that will surely come.ttrtr ect always site immigration ect as a reason for higher rents the fact is that when rents or housing is prohibitive people look at better ways to house themselves, whenether it be statics as ive said or all living together like pigs 10 to a flat ect, people will do this.

Landlords must be forgetting people wont work if there is nothing in it for them.

I have noticed this as I visted Loch Lomond recently.

There must be some special area of law that makes this more viable in scotland?

I posted this sort of stuff before - a commune or some form of joint effort to club together and secure land and do something like this would work quite well for the participants.

Hello all i have been off on my travels last couple weeks, and was over in skye and lochalsh.

Over there the houses are going up everywhere, skye is an island with a pop that was 12,000 till about 4 years ago this is now up to 14,000.

And everyone on the whole island is working in building work, i have never seen anything like it in my life.All they poor crofters have sold patches of land and gained planning for another kit house all over the island and this work is keeping the whole island in money.

caravans static and otherwise are everywhere, and unlike much of the rest of the uk, there is absolutely no stigma attached to this way of living.It is infact completely normal becuase its so widespread.Were not talking tinkers and travellers here, but ordinary people that refuse to or cant pay 250k for a kit house on a bit of hillside.This made me proud to be a scot and proud to be british, becuase it totaly struck me this is the way forward for the priced out and desperate.

Why you would be desperate at all to own a house(i admit i used to be), i now dont understand.These statics are probably roomier than the flats and houses a good majority of renters live in, they have 2 bedrooms a bath (yes a bath), sattelite tv, internet, phone, basically everything you will find in a house.

In the usa this is the same thing, people there will not work all week to just pay rent like the crazy brits will, we aint all doctors and immigration officers on 50k + a year.( some of us have to do the daily grind for much less).

Now the way this is done there is not in sites full of static residential homes where you pay about half in site rent as a flat would and sometimes more, thus making it not so economical a proposition.But it is done on common ground and hillsides and the side of barns ect. ie the people just find a decent site and sometimes throw the landowner 20 pound a month for the privledge.

It is realy all about stigma, the british are snobs, they would rather in most cases half starve for a nice little flat so there friends dont think there a gypo.

I can see this growing and growing, the last time i was on skye last year there was probably only half of the statics there is now, and its spreading all over scotland, and wales too.

And still they keep building these houses more and more, and all the locals just live in statics now and sell the houses there building to londoners ect and enjoy the life of riley on the proceeeds.

I suggest yas all look into this as a way of living and forget about houses, there over priced and you cant afford one, your wages dont buy a house thats why your here.Dont sit there scrimping and saving till your a old man just to get a crappy semi in a crappy town wasting away your youth, but get a static on free or cheap rent land and enjoy yourself while still saving for a rainy day.

And you will also be contributing to the great btl disaster that will surely come.ttrtr ect always site immigration ect as a reason for higher rents the fact is that when rents or housing is prohibitive people look at better ways to house themselves, whenether it be statics as ive said or all living together like pigs 10 to a flat ect, people will do this.

Landlords must be forgetting people wont work if there is nothing in it for them.

I guess the canny locals will move into the houses when they are worthless as those who bought them realise they cant actually make a living there and pay for the debt they took on to buy them.

Yes but we all want to know if you saw an increasing number of blacks :rolleyes:

ah i see the changes on this site have begun

pushing a side add on it

now tell me, what exact benifit to this site has any changes since it became commercial has there been to us ????????????

NONE

was just a plain old cut and run deal.

what about the visually impaired people that visit here ?

what a crock of $%^&

what was it the webmaster said , about it taking it further to benifit us ??????

well where i ask, where?