House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
non-FTBer

My Pages Are On The Wonk Too

HPC is becoming a joke.

Are you employing monkeys to do your web design? Or outsourcing it to a country that only had 5 PCs and a wet piece of string for a network.

See screen shot attached:

hpc.jpg

I got rid of the ads (in Firefox) with adblock. All well and good, but now I'm getting a big blank space double the size of the ads.

I've been here a while and posted a lot, but this is starting to get on my spuds.... not long and there will be an exodus to somewhere more reliable, and with less bl00dy ads.

Maybe *** or GEI...

Get a grip on your site FFS. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Please, pretty please... fix the bl00dy feckin arsing layout.

And I beg you, please get rid of the side ads... or at least make it so it scales to fill the page width when we all block the ads.

And please test with:

• Firefox
  • Firefox + Adblock
  • Opera
  • IE5 / 6
  • Anybody care to add some other shonky browser??

I'm still p1ssed off. Get it fixed.

post-692-1148748846.jpg

What resolution do you use?

I use 1024x768, and still have the blank ads (using adblock) and the space is 1/8th (ish) of my screen.

I must admit, this new ad-friendly layout thing seems completely wrong headed – the “usual” approach is to layout on a *fixed* 760px wide area with the ads run down *outside* the right hand border and (obviously) extending under the scrollbar to pick up all those accidental clicks.

Even better to have audio Flash with a mouse-over trigger and the off button hidden far off to the right. ;)

Edited by spline

Guest Riser

Please, pretty please... fix the bl00dy feckin arsing layout.

And I beg you, please get rid of the side ads... or at least make it so it scales to fill the page width when we all block the ads.

No point being reasonable it looks like they won't be satisfied until the regular posters have all gone, but then maybe thats was the plan from the start :ph34r:

Guest Bart of Darkness

I'm getting some odd effects in Firefox whereby the entire page is squashed over to about the rightmost 40% of the screen.

It happens randomly and can be fixed by hitting the refresh button.

Only been happening for the last couple of days though.

screen_problems.jpg

post-2284-1148754591.jpg

Edited by Bart of Darkness

I must admit, this new ad-friendly layout thing seems completely wrong headed – the “usual” approach is to layout on a *fixed* 760px wide area with the ads run down *outside* the right hand border and (obviously) extending under the scrollbar to pick up all those accidental clicks.

Even better to have audio Flash with a mouse-over trigger and the off button hidden far off to the right. ;)

I said it before, you don'y pay for this web site, and have never paid for this web site. It is completely free of charge.

I have said to the web master that his site is absolutely fine on my DELL INSPIRON 6000 WIDE-SCREEN laptop computer. So buy yourself a DELL INSPIRON 6000 LAPTOP computer and shut the F88* up moaning.

megaflop7as.jpg

Edited by megaflop

I got rid of the ads (in Firefox) with adblock. All well and good, but now I'm getting a big blank space double the size of the ads.

Does it work with your adblocker disabled?

I just noticed the same problem in firefox 1.0.6

Upgrading to the latest version of firefox fixed it.

I’m reading this thread full-screen at 1280px wide, but oddly can’t actually see most of megaflop’s post as it’s *under* the righthand side clear section, although, of course, that’s partly his fault for posting such a large image. ;)

Anyway, I upgraded to Firefox 1.5.0.3 this morning and it did help the layout instability issues, but this new underlay one is slightly awkward.

I’m reading this thread full-screen at 1280px wide, but oddly can’t actually see most of megaflop’s post as it’s *under* the righthand side clear section, although, of course, that’s partly his fault for posting such a large image. ;)

Anyway, I upgraded to Firefox 1.5.0.3 this morning and it did help the layout instability issues, but this new underlay one is slightly awkward.

Oh crikey. The image is only as wide as my screen. EDIT: 1680 x 1050

I said it before, you don'y pay for this web site, and have never paid for this web site. It is completely free of charge.

I have said to the web master that his site is absolutely fine on my DELL INSPIRON 6000 WIDE-SCREEN laptop computer. So buy yourself a DELL INSPIRON 6000 LAPTOP computer and shut the F88* up moaning.

EDIT2: You should also be using Internet Explorer, and buying Bill's software as well as a house.

You bears will moan about anything to avoid buying a house.

Edited by megaflop

Sounds a like very cool screen. And just when I though I was saving enough dosh along comes the perfect excuse to start spending it ... B)

HPC is becoming a joke.

[*]Anybody care to add some other shonky browser??

I'm still p1ssed off. Get it fixed.

Netscape 7 – does not load anything – apart from a little text in the middle of the screen

This site is crap

Just scrap the damn right hand ad bar and everything will be back to normal. Or is would you prefer a forum full of disgruntled members?

What resolution do you use?

I use 1024x768, and still have the blank ads (using adblock) and the space is 1/8th (ish) of my screen.

Fixed it now. TB PM'd me with a fix. (Clear cache and upgrade browser).

Still cr4p though. Shouldn't have to upgrade my browser and clear my cache just to browse this site properly.

I'm just not using it at home until they fix this as I'm buggered if I'm upgrading my browser because they can't sort the site out. I can't read posts properly as the text on the right disappears, and I can't access the reply button.

It's just atrocous design and it should be sorted out in the code, not by al the users jumping through hoops to fix it.

:angry:

Long time lurker here and I use my own software (kybie) to grab the pages and read them offline. No long waiting for pages regardless of quality of ISP that way.

Since I also got broken pages yesterday, I went to investigate.

Using KybIE, the pages and components (including css files) are downloaded and saved to your hard drive once. It's therefore possible to change a cached version of a common component once and all your grabbed pages from hpc will use your changed version.

Basically if you edit the scripts~9css~9forum_header.css file, you will see the whole of the forum text. Leave the following but remove everything after it. Unfortunately you won't see the ads until the site code is fixed.

#column-container {

width: 100%;

overflow: hidden;

}

With a standard (as installed) KybIE cache folder, the file to edit with notepad is

C:\kcache\www.housepricecrash.co.uk\scripts~9css~9forum_header.css

If anyone wants to try this - it will allow you to grab forum pages as you shower in the morning and read them on your laptop on the train to work - I know how addicted you all are :) , here are simpler instructions:

1. download kybie from http://www.1keytools.com

http://www.1keytools.com/kybie100.exe

2. installl it

3. Select Links required on the hpc forum index page

4. Press F7 to grab selected links

5. Once they hit the green list use F8 to display each grabbed page. (The numbers in the green part of the KybIE screen will increase as pages are fully grabbed)

6. Now fix the 'problem' hpc code using Windows Notepad

Open file:

C:\kcache\www.housepricecrash.co.uk\scripts~9css~9forum_header.css

Find #column-container which is at the bottom of the file and keep the values in {} after the first value found but delete the rest (to the end of the file.

Save the new file. All grabbed pages should now be readable.

NB if you refresh the offline version of any page (shortcut key Ctrl+Shift+R) from IE when displaying the page, the css file will be fetched again. To stop this , use a file explorer (Windows Explorere, Kyboma, etc. ) to make the cached file read-only.

Also to the site owners there is a checker at w3c.org that tells you if you are using valid code. Maybe this problem is caused by the errors in the css file

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/scripts/c...orum_header.css

I don't know if this problem is an attempt to make ad blockers stop working or just a mistake. Given the militant attitude of many posters on this site, I would not expect the former to be beneficial to you. IMO people will just leave rather than accept being told how to browse your site. I'm sure that's not what you want.

Why are you changing things that aren't broke? Sure people don't click your ads enough but that isn't going to change by forcing the ads onto folk who have made some effort to avoid seeing them.

David.

---

Grab Pages to read Offline - http://www.1keytools.com

First and foremost any WEB designer or course go go one make it absolutely clear that you should make your web pages compatible with IE, NETSCAPE (Firfox taken over now), SAFARI (Mac) to get the MAXIMUM EXPOSURE!

Now I use FIREFOX on MAC OSX and WIN XP and have no problems whatsoever. They only issues I had was with it using cached data. This sometime make the site go into lo-fi version. Simply clear you cache data. Close browser and then restart it.

So I cannot recommend enough FIREFOX. However, people should NOT change the browser they use for the sake of one site. It is the sites responsibility to ensure a 'pleasant' browsing experience. I am sure that this will all be resolved in the end but it has pissed of a fair few people. If this was a PAYING site then I assure you there would be BARRAGE of e-mails to the owners. As its not, we only hold so much weight.

May I suggest to FUBRA - By all means IMPROVE the site but test it offline all ALL the latest BROWSERS/VERSIONS. If people have not upgraded to the latest versions then you are exempt of any blame. You should also on the HOMEPAGE have an area stating how the site is best viewed and links to all the latest browser updates.

On the whole the site IS better than what it was 6 months ago. Our destination is living up to our expectations, UNFORTUNATELY the route to get there is a lot harder than it needs to be imho.

1keytools.com

Thanks for that post... very helpful

TB