House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Drugmaker Roche Put On Alert By U N -- First Alert Ever

Next week could see some more gyrations as stock markets absorb this news:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/healthnews.php?newsid=44155

WHO Puts Tamiflu Maker On Alert After Suspected Human-to-Human Transmission

Main Category: Bird Flu / Avian Flu News

Article Date: 27 May 2006 - 9:00am (PDT)

Roche, the makers of Tamiflu, have been put on alert by the World Health Organization (WHO) after human-to-human transmission of bird flu was suspected among seven family members in Indonesia.
This is the first time Roche has been put on this kind of alert.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,197276,00.html

World Health Organization Puts Bird Flu Drug Maker on Alert

Saturday, May 27, 2006

KUBU SIMBELANG, Indonesia — The World Health Organization put the maker of the global stockpile of the anti-bird flu drug Tamiflu on alert for the first time after
human-to-human transmission was suspected
in Indonesia, officials said Saturday.

IF (if) the tests show bird flu has mutated as expected so that it can pass from human to human what is the best strategy? Cash? Government bonds--which government? How will airline and other travel related stocks do on Monday?

IF (if) the tests show bird flu has mutated as expected so that it can pass from human to human what is the best strategy?

:o Hold your breath and run for the hills I should imagine ! :lol:

Next week could see some more gyrations as stock markets absorb this news:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/healthnews.php?newsid=44155

WHO Puts Tamiflu Maker On Alert After Suspected Human-to-Human Transmission

Main Category: Bird Flu / Avian Flu News

Article Date: 27 May 2006 - 9:00am (PDT)

Roche, the makers of Tamiflu, have been put on alert by the World Health Organization (WHO) after human-to-human transmission of bird flu was suspected among seven family members in Indonesia.
This is the first time Roche has been put on this kind of alert.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,197276,00.html

World Health Organization Puts Bird Flu Drug Maker on Alert

Saturday, May 27, 2006

KUBU SIMBELANG, Indonesia — The World Health Organization put the maker of the global stockpile of the anti-bird flu drug Tamiflu on alert for the first time after
human-to-human transmission was suspected
in Indonesia, officials said Saturday.

IF (if) the tests show bird flu has mutated as expected so that it can pass from human to human what is the best strategy? Cash? Government bonds--which government? How will airline and other travel related stocks do on Monday?

This would be a catastrophe that could put millions of lives at risk. I'd rather not think about the economic consequences.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3255621,00.html

Iran rejects reports of human bird flu cases

Iran's Health Ministry said on Saturday the country had no human cases of the deadly H5N1 bird
flu virus, dismissing statements by a medical official and lawmaker that early tests showed a third person had died of it.
A senior medical official told Reuters on condition of anonymity that preliminary tests in the northwestern city of Kermanshah showed a 30-year-old man died on Wednesday morning from H5N1 bird flu. He said this would be the third death after a 41-year-old man and his 26-year-old sister were also shown by preliminary tests to have died of bird flu in Kermanshah, which lies some 100 km (60 miles) from the Iraqi border. (Reuters)
(05.27.06, 16:27)

:blink:

Special report: Global fight against bird flu

JAKARTA, May 26 (Xinhua) -- Indonesian bird flu researcher CA Nidom MS said he was convinced that human-to-human bird flu infection had been taking place in Indonesia, official news agency Antara reported on Friday.

"I am convinced human-to-human infection has been taking place because studies have found the development of H3N2 and H1N1 strains of bird flu virus which originated from H5N1 virus. Much more, fowl-to-human infection cannot yet be proven since the death of Iwan in Tangerang," he said on the sidelines of a seminar on bird flu in Surabaya, East Java, on Friday.

Link

No smoke without fire.

Of those who have contracted H5N1, about half die. If there was a global pandemic, and this Indonesian variant was it, the world's population could shrink by between 10% and 30% depending on the incubation time (the longer the worse it is) and it's contagiousness. Sounds really ghastly, but this would be the best thing to happen to our planet for a long time. CO2 emissions would drop dramatically, especially in countries like China and India where fatalities would be at their highest. It would give the world a chance to breath. Of course it would be disastrous for our economies, and very few would benefit in the short term, but in the long term there would be more space for those that survive to enjoy the technological advances that have been made over the past few decades. It would be like the 1950s all over again. It sounds sick, but if I was the manager of this planet, and I was responsible for the long term well being of it's occupants (human and animal alike) I would cull the human population that has has so far refused to alter it's damaging habits and threatens to get worse over the next few decades.

The fact that there are not more cases in Indonesia could mean one of three things:

1. It wasn't human to human (although there are no animal sources as yet identified).

2. It was a one off, and it was so virulent that it killed too quickly for it too spread far (like Ebola). This is a heads up for the future though, as if the virus can do it once it will do it again.

3. There is a very long incubation time (>1 week) and there are hundreds of people in Indonesia carrying this strain who have not yet presented with symptoms but who may have been passing it on to others. This is the perfect storm in viral terms, a virus that it is highly virulent and deadly once it overcomes the immune system, but takes a long time to reach that stage so the victim has the chance to infect others.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060527/hl_nm/...HNlYwN5bmNhdA--

REUTERS

Memories of 1918 flu pandemic haunt 21st century By Toni Reinhold

31 minutes ago

NEW YORK (Reuters) - As health agencies worldwide scramble to stop bird flu from becoming a pandemic that could claim millions of lives, memories of the murderous flu that swept the globe almost 100 years ago haunt the 21st century, passed on from generation to generation, or, in my case, from grandmother to granddaughter.

:o

I did witness someone suffer hallucinations earlier this year after being prescribed a course of the tamiflu drug.

She is suffering a long term illness and is still in Hospital, the drug was stopped and so did the hallucinations.

For the record, I am not a doctor or qualified medical professional.

There is no evidence that TamiFlu is effective against the H5N1 strain and these are some of the side effects reported by the FDA.

FDA - http://www.fda.gov/cder/consumerinfo/druginfo/tamiflu.htm

• nausea
  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • bronchitis
  • stomach pain
  • dizziness
  • headache

There is more information here - http://www.drugs.com/cons/Tamiflu_Systemic.html

According to Health Ministry and other medical sources, it appears that the drug induced hallucinations and dramatic shifts in behaviour in the boys, which led them to commit suicide.

Suicides raise fears over bird flu drug

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,25...1872166,00.html

The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has said that it can find no link between Tamiflu and the deaths of 12 Japanese children who took the drug.

US finds no Tamiflu link to child deaths

http://www.swissinfo.org/eng/swissinfo.htm...y=1132336822000

This is the list of side-effects that Tamiflu can cause. You may not get any of these side-effects, but you may get some. While you are taking Tamiflu, these are the things you should watch out for:

Is Tamiflu Safe? Read The Side Effects!

http://www.rense.com/general69/tami.htm

Dr. Mercola's Comment:

I swear this whole bird flu saga is something straight from some television mini-series or fiction novel. However, as you know, you couldn't make up a story like this tale of greed and political corruption.

Earlier this year the United States placed an order for 20 million doses of this worthless drug at a price of $100 per dose. That comes to a staggering $2 billion. It was abundantly clear that this drug was not going to help anyone with the flu, and now we find out that this drug has a serious potential of killing children that take it.

To add insult to injury, the drug companies have made a sweet arrangement with the U.S. government that they are not liable for any of the side effects from the drugs. President Bush's $7.1-billion pandemic flu plan seeks broad limits on lawsuits against producers of vaccines and antiviral drugs, but is silent on how those injured or killed by adverse reactions might be compensated.

The liability shield is contained in the Pandemic Flu Countermeasure Liability Protection Act of 2005. It would protect producers and distributors of emergency vaccines from injury suits except in cases of "willful misconduct," a term to be defined later by the attorney general and the secretary of Health and Human Services.

So, even if these drugs or vaccines wind up killing innocent children, these companies will not be held liable. But you don't have to worry as on Saturday the FDA aannounced that Tamiflu was safe. Of course, this is the same agency that gave Vioxx its safetly blessing before it killed 55,000 people.

When Tamiflu kills U.S. children, Roche will plead that they had no idea it could do such a thing! They will claim reports such as this one out of Japan were unverified, and that there was no way they could have known it was a problem.

It just doesn't get much worse than that. When will America wake up and say enough is enough?

Flu Drug is Killing People

http://www.mercola.com/2005/nov/22/tamiflu...rens_deaths.htm

Like I said I am not a medical professional, but one has to question whether this drug actually works and given the side effects reported you would be wise to inform yourself beforehand.

I have also expressed the view previously in another thread that Bird Flu will not cause a HPC.

Guest Bart of Darkness
I have also expressed the view previously in another thread that Bird Flu will not cause a HPC.

Without wishing to venture too far into "doom mongering" [sic] territory, do you not think that the loss of say 10-30% of the UK population would not affect house prices at all?

Everything in our daily would be affected and (IMO) house prices would be the least of our worries.

This is assuming that bird flu mutates into a sufficiently virulent human to human form which I pray that it does not.

Without wishing to venture too far into "doom mongering" [sic] territory, do you not think that the loss of say 10-30% of the UK population would not affect house prices at all?

Everything in our daily would be affected and (IMO) house prices would be the least of our worries.

This is assuming that bird flu mutates into a sufficiently virulent human to human form which I pray that it does not.

Different strains of Flu's and other virii, come and go all the time.

H5N1 has been flying around for over 10 years, why the panic now?

If it happens - there is not much you or I will do about it.

This is a non-story.

Guest Bart of Darkness
H5N1 has been flying around for over 10 years, why the panic now?

I would certainly prefer to leave any panicking until there is something definite to panic about.

I would like to think that bird flu will join all the other threats to the human race over the years.

An oldie but a goodie.

But does it cure bird flu? :huh:

Yes. If taken in sufficient quantity, it will relieve the symptoms of bird flu, however it has an undesirable side effect: Rigour mortise :P

The whole point of this story is to ramp shares in Roche (RHHVF) and persuade the likes of the NHS to stock up on copious quantities of snake oil.

Guest Bart of Darkness

Hey that snakeoil looks good, is there a link to buy some online?

EBOLABUG' IN BRITAIN

By Stephen Moyes

A WOMAN who arrived in London on a flight from Africa yesterday is reported to have died from the deadly and contagious ebola virus.

Panic has spread among cabin crew and hospital staff after the death of the 38-year-old Briton. The unnamed woman is understood to work at an embassy in the African kingdom of Lesotho.

Before boarding a Virgin Atlantic flight from Johannesburg to Heathrow she visited a doctor complaining of flu-like symptoms.

She was allowed to fly, but during Flight VS602 to the UK she suffered a violent fit which left her unconscious.

Cabin crew and passengers rushed to her aid but towards the end of the flight she began vomiting.

When the Airbus A340-600, carrying 267 passengers and crew, touchdown at Heathrow she was rushed to nearby Hillingdon Hospital, West London. Her symptoms matched those of the viral haemorraghing fever ebola.

A post mortem is being done to confirm it.

Virgin Atlantic cabin crew who came into contact with the woman have been told to monitor their health. One said: "We are now terrified what we may have caught."

Deadly ebola is often characterised by the sudden onset of fever, intense weakness, muscle pain, headache and sore throat.

'EBOLA BUG' IN BRITAIN

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/tm...-name_page.html

Next: Four horsemen of the apocalypse arrive in Britain, HPC likely. :P

It sounds sick, but if I was the manager of this planet, and I was responsible for the long term well being of it's occupants (human and animal alike) I would cull the human population that has has so far refused to alter it's damaging habits and threatens to get worse over the next few decades.

And naturally you'd save yourself, keeping less than 10 palaces worldwide for your personal use and for your family to use. Of course us lesser mortals would be shot for objecting to your plan. All part of the deal.

Yes we've seen Hitlers and Saddams like you before, it's amazing how these people can rise to the top with so little objection.