House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Faithman

Is The Ftb Really So Stupid

Does the average FTB really believe that a house costs about £170K to build, plus there must be a profit?

The average house costs £5k land and services, £70k build (add £10k for misc profits) = £85K.

I mean not only must the FTB be stupid not to know the facts, but how do they explain the doubling in build costs , whilst salaries have only gone up 20%.

If someone ran a campaign to educate the FTB that there is about 100% tax on housing, how quickly would we see some action?????????

It's a farce that a small group of travellers have permission to build homes near Cambridge, without showing much respect to the local community, whilst people in the West Country are moving away!!!!!!!!!!!

Open your eyes FTB - you can afford your own house.

Does the average FTB really believe that a house costs about £170K to build, plus there must be a profit?

The average house costs £5k land and services, £70k build (add £10k for misc profits) = £85K.

I mean not only must the FTB be stupid not to know the facts, but how do they explain the doubling in build costs , whilst salaries have only gone up 20%.

If someone ran a campaign to educate the FTB that there is about 100% tax on housing, how quickly would we see some action?????????

It's a farce that a small group of travellers have permission to build homes near Cambridge, without showing much respect to the local community, whilst people in the West Country are moving away!!!!!!!!!!!

Please let me know where you can but a building plot for £5K.

Is there not an argument that the cost of land is so high _because_ house prices are high.

i.e. with developers competing to buy the land they pay what up yo what they think they can make a profit on and that is determined by the price they can finally sell the house for...

Is there not an argument that the cost of land is so high _because_ house prices are high.

i.e. with developers competing to buy the land they pay what up yo what they think they can make a profit on and that is determined by the price they can finally sell the house for...

Partly down to that. Land value is calculated at approx 40-45% of what completed property would sell for. So in theory if house prices were to go down so would land values

Also, so much land is unavailable for building on, green belt etc, that it ends up with lots of developers chasing a relatively small amount of land in the more desirable areas

Guest tenant super

You know you should really have just placed an ad:

"One trick ponies required to assist in manipulating property market"

-If you have zero integrity and a patronising manner please apply within.

I cannot imagine any of the FTB's here on HPC will ever be influenced by this sort of inane nonsense. 100% tax on property indeed. I would like to hear your thoughts on the gold price how do you explain £650 an oz for stuff you just dig up, and then there's blackberries - £2 a punnet!!

Hrm, it depends on the location and type of build, but the cost of land with permission can account for up to 40% of the final cost thesedays. If you build 200 tiny highrise apartments on a modest plot you could maybe get the land costs down if you're in the wrong part of town, however the construction costs can more than offset those gains.

What we've witnessed is not House Price Inflation but land inflation, this has run ahead of general HPI. However, if we insist on setting the country in stone based on 1960's boundaries you can expect as much.

Edited by BuyingBear

It would appear that they are Faithman. They clearly are unaware of the value of agricultural land or else are so narrow minded that they cannot see that land can have a change of use.

Maybe we have a lot of VI making comments too?????????

It would appear that they are Faithman. They clearly are unaware of the value of agricultural land or else are so narrow minded that they cannot see that land can have a change of use.

It's rather like DeBeers with their artificial scarcity, except it's right under our noses, if you travel the length of the M40 there is sweet F.A. for thousands of square miles, the only notable development you can see is High Wycombe.

We live in a small highly developed and urbanised country *cough* :blink:

Much of the scarcity is artificially imposed, by building regulations, which prevent building on land that is cheap

Here's a thought: Land is cheap because you can't build on it. How much would it worth if you could build on it?

Take these scenarios:

Price per acre if you could build a single dwelling on it if:

1000 acres were released

10,000 acres were released

100,000 acres were released

1000,000 acres were released

Guest Charlie The Tramp

The builder of my property bought the land for £35k in 1935. He completed the estate in 2000 and the last property was sold for £300k. The same applied in my last property, the land was bought for £28k in 1929 and this plot is now a very large village/town, the last property being built in 1976. These developers make the current big boys the PLCs look like small local builders. Who were the sellers of these vast plots none other than Gentlemen landowners, The Church, and the Oxford Scholars. ;)

I agree that an FTB can afford a house, just bought one myself! But I dont get the point on building cost, my new FTB little semi house has a rebuild value of £150k (the property cost £200k) for insurance purposes, ie should it collapse thats how much they will give me to rebuild it. So you are saying that actually its gonna cost £65k less than that?? Geesh im in for a windfall, heres hoping the house collapses some time soon, anyone got a spare JCB ;)! But seriosuly, that value came from my surveyor, are you saying he's miss-calculated the rebuild cost of my house - surely that would have serious consequences for his career? Surely he knows what hes doing, why should I believe him over you?

Anyway, building my own home seems too much work, I just bought one lol.

Edited by kazap

Did you just make this up? The cheapest piece of land I've ever managed to find was £85K!

Does the average HPC really believe that. I mean, for Christ's sake!?! <_<:blink::huh:

Can you let me know the brand of drugs your taking. I live in kent and the smallest plot in my town cost between 90 - 100k

Arable land (not for building) costs 5k though????????

Houses can fall below their rebuild value. Remember all those terraces for a fiver?

It happens when a prosperous area falls on hard times (like the West might, as technology spreads the labour force to include the Third World).

as a newbie with 1 post to his name, presumably his house at '150,000 rebuild costs' has gold plated taps, hot and cold running sex slaves and a 90 inch plasma tv on a levitation platform out in the back garden (which is paved with platinum).