House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CheapAsChips/Houses

Anecdotals Are All That's Worth Reading Here!

I have been reading this site for a few years now and I am quite over most of the banter that is going on. There is so much more being said, but so much less that actually worth reading.

When I visit I check out the news blog - then try and find anecdotals - that what really matters - what is being reported in the press, and what is actually happening. Although I used to read with enthusiasm every tom dick and harry's opinion - I am getting extremely bored with them now.

A section for anecdotals - hopefully with some estate agents contributing would be a great idea!

Enough support and I am sure the Webmaster will consider it.

Opinions? - I know Bandwagon agreed.

Sign O'the Times is right - I'm a bit paranoid that MOST posters on here may be EAs! VIs find their insidious way into every nook and cranny, attempting in vain to shore up their shoddy, inflated market place with piffle...

Anecdotals would be very popular, and documented price falls from the land registry would help.

We know there are plenty of people out there who have lost 20% on their "investments" in the last 2 or 3 years.

Yet all we read in the papers is how prices are going up.

This site would gain credibility if we could point to definite price falls, and show people what is really happening in the market.

Ordinary people could tell their friends at dinner parties to check out the reality, and not listen to the blatant ca@p in the media.

And Fubra could get some more advertising.

Edited by BandWagon

Here's a quick one, if you'll pardon the expression.

A friend in Wiltshire had her place on for £350K for most of last year - no takers, no offers even. Took it off the market before Crimbo.

Is about to go back on, new valuation £335K and agent says that many properties are having probs selling as the survey for the mortgage for the prospective buyer is often giving a lower value than the sale price that's been agreed.

Its gradually going our way, but it takes time.

I have a colleague buying a place in Chiswick (W London).

The vendor has accepted their offer, but the bank has since come along and refused to lend against the value of the property, saying it's too expensive.

So the deal won't go through unless they can find the extra cash, or the vendor drops the price.

I have two other colleagues trying to sell in London, and despite all the cr@p about the booming market, their places have been up for sale for 6 months and more, with no takers.

This pyramid scheme has finally run out of greater fools.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

This pyramid scheme has finally run out of greater fools.

A few of certain very bullish posters with a vested interest, although logging on no longer post, some as long as 4 months since their last post. This has happened as news of the miracle economy shows signs of approaching difficult times as the media is now reporting. Maybe things were not so hunky dory as they led us to believe in their own personal circumstances. This old fool is watching them very closely. ;)

Guest muttley

A few of certain very bullish posters with a vested interest, although logging on no longer post, some as long as 4 months since their last post. This has happened as news of the miracle economy shows signs of approaching difficult times as the media is now reporting. Maybe things were not so hunky dory as they led us to believe in their own personal circumstances. This old fool is watching them very closely. ;)

Care to name names Charlie?

Here's a quick one, if you'll pardon the expression.

A friend in Wiltshire had her place on for £350K for most of last year - no takers, no offers even. Took it off the market before Crimbo.

Is about to go back on, new valuation £335K and agent says that many properties are having probs selling as the survey for the mortgage for the prospective buyer is often giving a lower value than the sale price that's been agreed.

Its gradually going our way, but it takes time.

There we go. Yet more conclusive proof from HPC.co.uk housing will become affordable before the nation's toddlers reach adulthood.

Care to name names Charlie?

I saw that fool "Alright Jack" was logged on last night, remember him ??

If I could get my scanner to work, I could show this place was on the market at 595k at the end of last year.....check out the sale price......

16% drop

I saw that fool "Alright Jack" was logged on last night, remember him ??

If I could get my scanner to work, I could show this place was on the market at 595k at the end of last year.....check out the sale price......

16% drop

I wouldn't call that a drop, more it shows that the asking price was too high.

Still, the house may have sold for that price at the peak in 2004.

If someone had paid that price then, they'd be down 16%, and with gearing quite possibly have lost 50% of their investment.

There will already be people out there in this predicament, but of course they're going to keep very quiet about it.

They won't be bragging to their mates at dinner parties.

And I don't think people will see that peak for another 15 years, that's a long time to regret the buying decision.

Let's have an anecdotals section, webmaster!

Edited by BandWagon

Let's have an anecdotals section, webmaster!

I would prefer Anecdotals should be posted in the "Whats happening in your area section" - as really if you are looking to buy your area is the only one that matters.

I would prefer Anecdotals should be posted in the "Whats happening in your area section" - as really if you are looking to buy your area is the only one that matters.

I disagree. I like to read all of them, not just the ones for my area. Gives me hope!

Well, I heard that a friend was in the pub the other night and he heard a couple talking and they were saying that “Anecdotal reports were unreliable” So judging by what they said I don’t think this is a good idea

Im all for an anecdote section - the problem lies in the validity of them.

Its not hard data - and being mainly bear it will be one sided.

HOWEVER, ANYONE ON HERE DECLARING THEMSELVES AN EA (MILDURA FOR EXAMPLE) WILL BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY.

Father Fred is another good example (ex EA). Always get a fair and balanced discussion from him. Where it all goes wrong is the EA's or VI's not been honest (theres a surprise) and when they post it looks like trolling. If we know your a VI and your posts are bullish then we would undertand if we knew your stance.

TB

I have been reading this site for a few years now and I am quite over most of the banter that is going on. There is so much more being said, but so much less that actually worth reading.

When I visit I check out the news blog - then try and find anecdotals - that what really matters - what is being reported in the press, and what is actually happening. Although I used to read with enthusiasm every tom dick and harry's opinion - I am getting extremely bored with them now.

A section for anecdotals - hopefully with some estate agents contributing would be a great idea!

Enough support and I am sure the Webmaster will consider it.

Opinions? - I know Bandwagon agreed.

Well -- I just keep hearing about people right accross the UK who CANNOT SELL THEIR PROPERTY. Many have had them on the "market" for a year or more -- and they just CANNOT SELL. i.e. - overpriced - ludicrously so. Simple. i.e. ANyine thinking of buyin ginto this massive pyramid selling scam - the "housing market" - shoul offer 50% of the asking price - and tell the vendor - that's ALL I am going to offer you. Period.

I disagree. I like to read all of them, not just the ones for my area. Gives me hope!

Me too - I think this is a national issue and we have had some stunning drops in Norfolk and I waited to hear news from other areas. It seems that many other areas through anecdote are doing the same.

A friend has his house on the market for £215K and told to drop it to £190K for a chance to sell.

He can't afford to drop the price though untill others do. It a game of poker at the moment between, Agent, buyers and sellers. Although I feel the buyers are holding the Aces.

A section would be great.

Get it on.

You can read the anecdotals for other areas in the 'What's happening in your area" forum.

Seems like the best place for them.

If you'd like to read about about a house in Cambridge that was on the market for 325k before christmas and is back on again (advertised as 'new') for 299k then go to

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...pic=20299&st=75

and read Fairygirl's post.

You can read the anecdotals for other areas in the 'What's happening in your area" forum.

Seems like the best place for them.

If you'd like to read about about a house in Cambridge that was on the market for 325k before christmas and is back on again (advertised as 'new') for 299k then go to

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...pic=20299&st=75

and read Fairygirl's post.

I know of a property on Wilts/Dorset border that was "valued" by brainless moron EA for £850k about 18 - 20 months ago - and is now on the market for £550k!! That really says a lot...... the peak of the froth was 2003-4 - and it's been significantly downhill for prices since - DESPITE the endless lies and drivel peddled by the VI's - PRICES HAVE DROPPED at least 20% in many places - and have another 30-35% to go......

Edited by eric pebble

Well, I heard that a friend was in the pub the other night and he heard a couple talking and they were saying that “Anecdotal reports were unreliable” So judging by what they said I don’t think this is a good idea

My friend says they love reading anecdotals and my cousin says they're the best bits but she likes the strawberry centres best.

Guest Fiddlesticks

eh :blink:

ALL asking prices are too high

if 16% off asking isn't a drop, what is ?

Asking prices aren't really relevant. I could put my bungalow in Frinton up for sale for £4m this week then drop the asking price to £2m next week. Does that mean there's been a 50% drop in Frinton and my bungalow is now a bargain?

Vendors having to adjust 'aspirational' pricing is all well and good, but we need to see houses which sold for £X,000 in 2004 selling for £X,000 - 10%.

[For the record I don't actually own a bunglaow in Frinton.]

Vendors having to adjust 'aspirational' pricing is all well and good, but we need to see houses which sold for £X,000 in 2004 selling for £X,000 - 10%.

This is the case all over the place. In some cases up to 20%.