House Price Crash Forum
BuyingBear

Tonight With Trevor Mcdoughnut

Tonight with Trevor McDonald
Friday, 26 May : 20:00 - 20:30
Jonathan Maitland investigates figures showing a staggering rise in the number of defects in Britain's new-build properties, and meets desperate householders whose dream homes have turned into snag-filled nightmares

Hrm, I wonder if people have quite twigged it yet... just look at these properties for christ sakes, look at the layout, look at the architecture, look at the fricking locations, new build = dolls house.

Its simple really - a cardboard house is right. I have stayed over at mates in a newbuild, a landlord, in the docklands apartments, and you can hear EVERYTHING your neighbours are doing. It is apparently worth £550,000 last time I looked. Come a decent recession even I, a bull, have to admit these joke biulds are going to be worth a lot less.

Of course, over recent years you could build any old junk and people would buy it.

Indeed, I remember stories in the late eighties about the poor build quality of new flats. In boom times they just want to get them up and turn them around as quickly as possible.

Twas ever thus. Apparently in the 1880s building boom they were putting up terraces that we falling down at one end before the other end was finished.

Indeed, I remember stories in the late eighties about the poor build quality of new flats. In boom times they just want to get them up and turn them around as quickly as possible.

Twas ever thus. Apparently in the 1880s building boom they were putting up terraces that we falling down at one end before the other end was finished.

Is that Bradley Stoke in Bristol? It's nickname is Sadly Broke because all the builders went bust.

In a flat you've got potentially 4 sources of aggravation, wooden floors in the flat above being a particularly cruel form of torment. I lived in an old mansion flat near Baker Street and didn't hear a peep from the neighbours because the building was constructed without shortcutting on materials... unlike this modern crap

Guest Bart of Darkness

Aren't sound imsulation regs supposed to have been improved around 2003-2004?

Funny that - my Dad is encouraging me to buy a new build - based on that fact.

So I've been visiting friends at night under the pretexted of bottles of wine in front of TV - in their new build flats .... flats built in the last two years ....

And guess what - you can hear as much as I can hear in my rented 1970s studio.

When I rent new places I always choose top floors - to minimise noise - even old Victorian buildings converted to flats have sound issues - particularly with this latest mad craze for laminate flooring!!

Please could laminate flooring be banned in all flats - just a nightmare for those above and below and to the side. I've had to recently visit a neighbour to ask him to take his footwear off when he comes in off his shift at 5am - 'cos the people below and to both sides, all had the same problem - we all woke up when he came in - not because of his Sky TV or even running his bath at that time but the footsteps across the floor!

I'm was never convinced the new builds were better - particularly having seen a recent shared-ownership property. When I presented the housing authority with the snagging list - they said that it was sold as seen and that no work would be done to rectify the problems - and it was at your own expense. Didn't take up the offer - for other reasons - like it wasn't financially viable - crazy scheme - but since the the building has been surrounded by scaffolding - don't care why it's there but on a new build less than 1 year standing - bit odd!!

Don't know what the fuss is about - they've been building cardboard crap since the 70's - I know I lived in one growing up....

Guest Bart of Darkness
So I've been visiting friends at night under the pretexted of bottles of wine in front of TV - in their new build flats .... flats built in the last two years ....

And guess what - you can hear as much as I can hear in my rented 1970s studio.

One day I'll stop being so naive and trusting. :)

IMO the quality of anything goes down during a boom.

Houses built, shares issued, loans approved, gadgets manufactured and so on. When the pressure is on to maximise volume, quality always suffers regardless of what the product being sold is.

Houses built, shares issued, loans approved, gadgets manufactured and so on. When the pressure is on to maximise volume, quality always suffers regardless of what the product being sold is.

I once read a book on Fashion. It said precisely the same thing about designer clothes during the "boom" years, I think in the 80s. It said that the quality went way down and they'd fall to bits after a few months.

Billy Shears

I think the same can also be said about Government.

D :D

They build as small as can be got away with, and with the cheapest of avaliable materials.

Most of those BTL shoe box flats are timber kit.

They build as small as can be got away with, and with the cheapest of avaliable materials.

Most of those BTL shoe box flats are timber kit.

And........................the new builds use special miniature furniture in their model homes to give the illusion of space.

Just like NuLabour--they give the illusion of wealth. :lol:

Aren't sound imsulation regs supposed to have been improved around 2003-2004?

If you mean building regulation E (equates to a fairly reasonable standard of acoustic privacy) I think this became compulsory for works starting after April 2005, so plenty of recently completed stuff and even some stuff still in the pipeline is not compliant.

Plenty of flats built in the last 40 years have only a partition wall seperating them, but it's not necessarily true that this is worse than older, "more solid" builds. A single course of bricks seperating one demise from another can let more noise through than acoustic plasterboard and resilient bars. The worst offenders (and the cheapest to build) are those which just have two sheets of standard plasterboard either side of a void seperating the flats. You can look forward to hearing the neighbours flush the loo and pry into the details of their most intimate conversations, a situation which reg E tries to end.

The walls may be one thing, but after renting numerous types of flats in London over a number of years I've come to the conclusion that what happens above the ceiling is the most critical of all to ensuring a good night's sleep. The worst offenders are unsealed (and, in modern fashion, exposed) floorboards supported by the same joists hanging the plasterboard ceiling. However, even sealed concrete floors will happily conduct impact noise, and non-impact noise invariably finds a way down through service ducts. Effective solutions to this pernicious problem:

1) control the space above your bedroom (i.e. it's part of your flat)

2) ensure the space above is empty (i.e. top floor flat).

3) live on a very busy road

4) go deaf

Edited by FirstTimeBonkers

Guest Bart of Darkness
If you mean building regulation E (equates to a fairly reasonable standard of acoustic privacy) I think this became compulsory for works starting after April 2005, so plenty of recently completed stuff and even some stuff still in the pipeline is not compliant.

That's the one. Hmmm... as you say, lots of even quite new stuff won't comply with these regs.

To add to your list I would suggest

5) Boots Muffles wax eaplugs.

Many years ago a very sweet old lady lived in the bottom flat in my block, (I'm in the top flat of three) and she was as deaf as a post. She didn't realise this though, so it was quite possible for me to tell what TV channel she was watching from two flats up (and I'm partially deaf myself). Good old Muffles wax earplugs saved my sanity back then. :)

Indeed, but property never snaps back, the new low becomes the established ceiling for yet another plunge downward.

The house builders have the NHBC who's regs are meant to be the same as national building regs, I am a surveyor and I can tell you that whilst the regs are the same the enforcement is not.

It has been mentioned before that property built in a boom is generaly of poorer quality, I would avoid it

The house builders have the NHBC who's regs are meant to be the same as national building regs, I am a surveyor and I can tell you that whilst the regs are the same the enforcement is not.

It has been mentioned before that property built in a boom is generaly of poorer quality, I would avoid it

This bearish spin is ridiculous. We have excellent quality property stock, and you should go out and buy it right away.

Available with no onward chain after the Sylvania family were repossessed.

Yet more spin. Ianbe, do you go around scaring little children with this stuff?

Don't need to tell me about new builds - started renting one in London in February. No end of problems!!

Electrics in flat were up the swannee and boiler had a defect - finally got these problems sorted out after three months of buckpassing from developer to power supply company to boiler manufacturer to boiler installers etc etc. Very nice to have functioning radiators/reliable hot water in late May but I really needed them in February! Many other residents have had flooding and bolier problems!

First week I moved in the door lock on the back door entrance to the development broke and wasn't fixed for 10 days - so basically any tom dick or harry (or potential burglar or worse) had 24 hour access to the development. Disgraceful considering the number of single women living here!

At Easter the ceiling fell in on the ground floor due to some sort of water leak - carpets had to be taken up (smelt like a brothel for two weeks after - luckily I don't live on the ground floor) and still not put back yet. Took management company a month to repair the ceiling! It still all looks a state and as it is the first thing you see as enter it would put off potential renters and buyers. No apology or updates provided by the management company to tenants or owners!

About two weeks ago the lift broke down (got flooded!) and was out of action for over a week. Felt appalled for families and elderly having to walk up several flights of stairs with babies and heavy bags. No apology or updates provided by the management company to tenants or owners!

The rubber strips holding the windows in place on the stairwells are coming loose - we're all worried that when the weather gets hotter one of the panes of glass will fall out onto the street outside.

The communal satellite dish is apparently a health and safety hazard - it is not earthed. The independent company called into look at it gave the management company a quote to repair the dish two months ago but has still not got the go ahead to undertake the work. Some tenants have been putting up their own dishes because the communal dish rarely allows you to pick up ITV2/E4/More 4 + many other channels (the main channels people get satellite for). As a result all residents got (another) rude letter from the management company about this earlier this week - no apology from the MC though for not providing a safe reliable communal dish for which residents are paying for through their service charge.

I could go on - I feel really sorry though for the owner occupiers who have spent £200,000+ to live in such a dodgy development! Im sure similar problems exist on other new builds.

Again i would not touch one with a barge pole, they like to call it (I kid you not) light weight construction, more like cheap and nasty, I think some have about a 25 year life span, just think you could have a mortgage longer than the property :huh:

About two weeks ago the lift broke down (got flooded!) and was out of action for over a week. Felt appalled for families and elderly having to walk up several flights of stairs with babies and heavy bags. No apology or updates provided by the management company to tenants or owners!

This is the corporatisation of collective living, I'm sure they'll discount your service charges once Central Services processes your refund ;) You are not an individual but simply an economic unit to be accommodated.

I'm so pleased that half our new building starts are flats. We can only dream of all sharing the collective 1m sq of garden, oh, and if I pay £15k extra can I park my car? Collective bathrooms and kitchens will be next, this will save space and provide more room for additional economic units (people).