House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rain'ard

Is My Landlord Trying It On

My freeholder is going to tell my leaseholders that those on the top floors had better start getting their property out the lofts above them and ground floor people better do the same if the are using the void under the floor for a cellar. He says it invalidates his fire insurance. Not that he’s thinking of development, like.

Is this a valid reason when tenants have had easement to these areas for forty years.

My freeholder is going to tell my leaseholders that those on the top floors had better start getting their property out the lofts above them and ground floor people better do the same if the are using the void under the floor for a cellar. He says it invalidates his fire insurance. Not that he’s thinking of development, like.

Is this a valid reason when tenants have had easement to these areas for forty years.

I had a similar experience at our offices (storing old documents in an unused loft space) the lanlord is either thinking of development or charging you for the extra storage space

IMO the fire insurance angle is rubbish unless there is a fire escape in the areas which may block access/egress

As to the question of rights - if the LL has been aware for so long some sort of precedent may have been set to get the real answer you need to speak to a solicitor

CS

How many floors and how many occupants is this place?

I can’t say in detail because I don’t want to give my location away as I work for them. They have made other plans for the estate which have been rejected likewise all their properties of theirs. 3 story purpose built

If a fire inspection report has identified then forget it. If these areas are common areas under the lease and not owned by the individual flats you don't have much choice i suspect.

If the celler has electrics/gas connections you should not be storing stuff down there.

Yes it can invalidate insurance. Read you lease about common areas.

Edited by mercsl

Webmaster, you’ve put this thread in the wrong forum. The tenants are long lease holders owner occupiers. Although I should have made this clear.

I'm sorry I cannot be more spacific TTRTR, but the flats are easily indentifiable. I think the bit about the void under floor as a cellar might be confusing. We are built mainly on hills in Brighton and some quite large spaces are created due to leveling