House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Time to raise the rents.

Tenants To Get Even Less Security

Law of Tenure

By Meurig Lloyd, Southern Private Landlords Association

The government has now published it's long awaited proposals to modernise and simplify the law on housing tenure.

Entitled 'Renting Homes' the government is recommending a simple system of secure and standard contracts, to replace the existing variety of tenancy and licence types.

All of the existing tenancy types are replaced by just two:

(1) the secure contract, modeled on the present local authority secure tenancy, giving substantial security of tenure protected by statute; and

(2) the standard contract, broadly modeled on the present assured shorthold tenancy, where the duration of the occupation is largely determined by the contract. A key difference between the contract and existing assured shortholds is that the standard contract is not subject to the “moratorium” - that is, the rule that stops a court ordering possession before the end of the first six months of an assured shorthold.

The only major existing form of tenancy not to be abolished would be Rent Act tenancies, but there would be a power for the Secretary of State/Welsh Assembly Government to do so.

As summary of the governments proposals and consultation documents can be found by clicking on the following link: http://www.lawcom.gov.uk/renting_homes.htm

A key difference between the contract and existing assured shortholds is that the standard contract is not subject to the “moratorium” - that is, the rule that stops a court ordering possession before the end of the first six months of an assured shorthold.

I thought that a court could order posession at any point if they had cause to do so.... how is this different from an AST.

The court will still only award possession if there is a good reason, and it will still involve the same legal processes so whats to be so smug about TTRTRates.

I thought that a court could order posession at any point if they had cause to do so.... how is this different from an AST.

The court will still only award possession if there is a good reason, and it will still involve the same legal processes so whats to be so smug about TTRTRates.

I'd never even heard of this moritorium, so I'm not exactly very worried about it disappearing.

Billy Shears

Another Cycle...

Labout in power. Start of with good intentions and cripple the country by being dumb and corrupt.

People vote Conservative out of economic desperation.. Conservatives fix stuff and create a level playing field, a hard one, but level.

Seeing prosperity some want more then their neighbours and vote in labour.

Labour create wealth from up their bottoms, cripple everything being done that actually does something and creates a bunch of fools.

Last time (1989) the conservatives killed the boom to protect the economy..

This time... god alone knows what labour are doing..

TTRTR - 2 questions.

1) So are you telling me that I can rent a property, and irrespective of whether I trash the place the LL and courts cannot remove me before 6 months if I'm on an AST?

2) Do you have any rooms available on an AST? :lol:

I actually knew some folks who took umbrage at an unnanounced visit from their landlord, kept paying the rent for the first five months and the week before moving (having not paid the last months rent to recover their deposit) had a barbecue in the living room.

Not sure what the outcome was, but I imagine it involved more than magnolia paint....

Ignorance is no excuse.

If your life is so great and you have so much free time, why do you spend so much of it gloating over less fortunate people? Do you perhaps need to create an impression of superiority to give your life some meaning. Honestly, it sounds like you spend Christmas morning counting money!

If your life is so great and you have so much free time, why do you spend so much of it gloating over less fortunate people? Do you perhaps need to create an impression of superiority to give your life some meaning. Honestly, it sounds like you spend Christmas morning counting money!

On Christmas day I count the cost.

So you enjoy your life to the full then!

Look.. he's having a laugh.. you are biting..

If you think he is better of, do as he does..

Buy BTL's..

he is doing so now with only borrowed money.

I don't do as he does because I believe he is mistaken in his belief that property is a good investment.

Remember, a mortgage lender may encourage you to borrow money.. But is the IMF and the governor of the Bank of England advise you not to.. who do you listen to?

Who does he??

Swings and.. then there are roundabouts...

Chill..

He is amusing, if he winds you up stop biting..

Look.. he's having a laugh.. you are biting..

If you think he is better of, do as he does..

Buy BTL's..

he is doing so now with only borrowed money.

I don't do as he does because I believe he is mistaken in his belief that property is a good investment.

Remember, a mortgage lender may encourage you to borrow money.. But is the IMF and the governor of the Bank of England advise you not to.. who do you listen to?

Who does he??

Swings and.. then there are roundabouts...

Chill..

He is amusing, if he winds you up stop biting..

S'ok... he's not winding me up. :lol::lol:

It'd take a bit more than TTRTR to wind me up.

Nu Labour seem up to the task though :P

Another Cycle...

People vote Conservative out of economic desperation.. Conservatives fix stuff and create a level playing field, a hard one, but level.

The Consertives gave consent to sell our playing fields of for development.

So does this mean there is now a proper long term agreement for private tenancies or not?

On Christmas day I count the cost.

There is something quite unpleasant about someone that gloats over someones misfortune through no falt of their own. It's even more unpleasant when it's all been handed down to him on a plate through good fortune.

I run a business and work for my money. I wonder where you would be if this good fortune had not come your way.

Guest Alright Jack

Renting is not pleasant. I feel sorry for most of the guys on here. It must be humiliating for them to be forced to pay for their own captivity. Surely by now the STRs must be looking for a plan B?

Renting is not pleasant. I feel sorry for most of the guys on here. It must be humiliating for them to be forced to pay for their own captivity. Surely by now the STRs must be looking for a plan B?

Don't be such a d*ck jackie boy. Renting is just renting.