House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

music man

Mad World

Things as we all know go in cycles as sure as day is night.

And our time has been and is going rapidly if this example of economics is anything to go by.

I was chatting today about some Next fittings to a shop layout manufacturing company boss and this is the truth of the U.K. economy in relation to Eastern Europe.

The client wants stainless steel for the fixtures and fittings and so from Lithuania they come at £2.50 a piece.

This is for the steel and labour and transportation. Remember £2.50.

The chap next door asked if he could price them up and found he could only buy the material for the exuivalent £4.50 and this was without labour.

Worst to come is that the steel comes from these isles.

Also the factories in Lithuania may look like a shed / garage from the outside but the E.U. (our handouts) have bought these £100K machines for them. If the machine was bought by a U.K. company then it would apparently be considered of value on the balance sheet and thus be taxed at 20 -25%. Correct me if I am wrong here but an extra £20K would be payable by the English company on top of the initial price.

It's a mad world and this has been happening for far to long. Ask any African farmer.

Mad World folks.

....but the E.U. (our handouts) have bought these £100K machines for them. If the machine was bought by a U.K. company then it would apparently be considered of value on the balance sheet and thus be taxed at 20 -25%.

It's a mad world and this has been happening for far to long. Ask any African farmer.

Mad World folks.

Nonsense - EU money doesnt go to private companies to buy equipment in Estlithloldovakia any more than it does here.

Ask any african farmer? Ask any UK farmer.

Why dont you just ask for your tax back and then explain it to the 250,000 farming families in this country that rely on EU "handouts" to survive.

Besides - we have restictive trade deals with Africa and South America because

- They dont have the stringent standards we have in food growth, production, processing and safety.

- They dont have the paperwork to fill in to certify this.

- They have virtual slave labour and pittance wages.

- They have vast tracts of land (and cut down rainforests) to produce massive amounts of meat/cereals.

- They havent outlawed, for example, DDT.

- One of the reasons for the spread of Bird Flu is keeping fowl in unsanitary conditions.

- One of the reasons Africa is often starving is because of overfarming, overuse of pesticides, an dbad practice. All of which EU grants (and this applies to industry too) help to eradicate.

The EU subsidies guarantee our food (and industrial) safety...prevent diseases spreading...etc etc...

But back to your point - It isnt perfect, I admit, but I'd rather buy parts from a subsidised but and safe worker in Lithuania or England or Greece than some prison inmate in China.

Sorry. The EU works.

It protects us and guarantees our safety.

Like it or not.

(Cue rants about "straight bananas" etc....)

Wow - I guess you feel passionately there Needle. I just wanted to mention the free trade example.

When it's tickered with it brakes and I guess we both agree there from your points.

Things seem to be made different than they really are and that creates misunderstanding.

The truth is in the story of £2.50 manufactured in Lithuania

or £4.50 for stainless steel delivered without manufacture, labour or extra profit in the U.K..

Wow - I guess you feel passionately there Needle. I just wanted to mention the free trade example.

When it's tickered with it brakes and I guess we both agree there from your points.

Things seem to be made different than they really are and that creates misunderstanding.

The truth is in the story of £2.50 manufactured in Lithuania

or £4.50 for stainless steel delivered without manufacture, labour or extra profit in the U.K..

Apologies, I took your point and went a little off topic - I wasnt having a go at you.

I do agree with the general thrust of your arguements but its all to easy to blame the EU for every problem in the world. See I reckon that although this cheap labour will affect us in terms of falling wages there are benefits.

Falling wages are going to happen anyway with China, India South America at least we have a safety net.

The EU takes and redistributes funds to bring everyone UP to our standards.

I'm not really "passionate" about the EU - God knows its got plenty of faults - but I do think its the lesser of two evils. Now if only the UK would join fully and lead (as it has done in Europe during times of crisis for centuries.)

Again, apologies if I appeared to have a pop at you....not intended.

I'm not really "passionate" about the EU - God knows its got plenty of faults - but I do think its the lesser of two evils. Now if only the UK would join fully and lead (as it has done in Europe during times of crisis for centuries.)

I think you're mostly on the ball about the EU there. But not sure about the last bit in brackets.

Didn't most of the history of the UK's engagement in Europe consist of riding wildly through it on horses, chopping the heads off any foreigners who happened by. I think the last time we were really part of any kind of European project was when the Romans were here...

Shouldn't stop us trying now though...

I think you're mostly on the ball about the EU there. But not sure about the last bit in brackets.

Didn't most of the history of the UK's engagement in Europe consist of riding wildly through it on horses, chopping the heads off any foreigners who happened by. I think the last time we were really part of any kind of European project was when the Romans were here...

Shouldn't stop us trying now though...

Most countires foreign policy consisted of "riding wildly on horses, chopping the heads off any foreigners who happened by"... generally the more heads you chopped off the better.

Britain's foreign policy was generally to maintain a "balance of power" on the continent so that no continental power could threaten us.

Personally I think we need to reform the CAP, withdraw from the political side of the EU and maintain strong trade links as per Norway.

The EU takes and redistributes funds to bring everyone UP to our standards.

Uh, yeah. The EU makes us better off by taking our money and giving it to foreigners: right.

I'm not really "passionate" about the EU - God knows its got plenty of faults - but I do think its the lesser of two evils.

Which evil is it lesser than?

Uh, yeah. The EU makes us better off by taking our money and giving it to foreigners: right.

Can you read?

I'm sure if you want your taxes back the germans will want theirs back too.

Then you can go and explain it to the people of inner cities and the 250k farming families who rely on it.

Aside from providing a very high level of food, agricultural, legal, travel, and health safety....

Aside from allowing the free movement of labour....

Aside from legal protection.....

"Giving it to foreigners" :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: nice and simple there. Youve blown away decades of careful political and social integration with that one. Sorry didnt mean to scare the little englander.

I f***in hate these unter-mensch arguements. "Its all dem foreigners wots taking my taxes".

Which evil is it lesser than?

Anarchy. Closed markets. Bad agricultural practices. Poisoned food. Protectionism. Nationalism. War. Industrial safety. Union recognition. Chinese/Indian/US dominance.....take yer pick.

I'm sure if you want your taxes back the germans will want theirs back too.

Good for them.

Then you can go and explain it to the people of inner cities and the 250k farming families who rely on it.

Excellent. The less people scrounging off my back, the better.

I f***in hate these unter-mensch arguements. "Its all dem foreigners wots taking my taxes".

Britain pays billions of pounds more each year to the EU than we get back. Do you want to explain exactly how we're better off for giving that money to foreigners than spending it on improving Britain?

Anarchy. Closed markets. Bad agricultural practices. Poisoned food. Protectionism. Nationalism. War. Industrial safety. Union recognition. Chinese/Indian/US dominance.....take yer pick.

So basically you're saying that taking arsenic is better than taking cyanide?

Britain survived and prospered for centuries before the EU came long, and ran most of the planet at one point. Why exactly do we need to be tied to the coat-tails of a bunch of xenophobic welfare statists hiding behind protectionist tarrifs in the 21st century?