House Price Crash Forum
OnlyMe

Brown The Thief Has Done It Again

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...4/ixuknews.html

Millions will be hit by new 'stealth tax' on pensions

By Graeme Wilson, Political Correspondent

(Filed: 24/05/2006)

Millions of middle-income earners will be hit by a new stealth tax hidden in the Government's pension reforms which will be unveiled tomorrow.

Under the changes, people earning more than £18,000 a year will see a key element of their state pension provision - the State Second Pension - almost halved.

Experts warn that the changes will leave millions of people worse off in retirement

But there will be no reduction in their National Insurance contributions to reflect the sharp reduction in their weekly pension when they retire - leaving them paying thousands of pounds a year to the taxman for a benefit they will no longer receive.

Millions of middle-income earners will be hit by a new stealth tax hidden in the Government's pension reforms which will be unveiled tomorrow.

Under the changes, people earning more than £18,000 a year will see a key element of their state pension provision - the State Second Pension - almost halved.

Experts warn that the changes will leave millions of people worse off in retirement

But there will be no reduction in their National Insurance contributions to reflect the sharp reduction in their weekly pension when they retire - leaving them paying thousands of pounds a year to the taxman for a benefit they will no longer receive.

Are we now classing people who earn >18K middle class ? :unsure: but that to one side can't you still opt out of the sh*t system anyway, i think it must be a way of putting pension burden back on to business. Snakes.

Leave Gordon Brown alone. He has done a brilliant job of managing the economy and has managed to abolish boom and bust. He has made many homeowners incredibly rich through rises in the value of their homes and should be congratulated on being the best Chancellor that Britain has ever had.

Leave Gordon Brown alone. He has done a brilliant job of managing the economy and has managed to abolish boom and bust. He has made many homeowners incredibly rich through rises in the value of their homes and should be congratulated on being the best Chancellor that Britain has ever had.

Bit early for you aint it mate :lol::)

This is not the first time I have heard this, this week. Yesterday, a propertycontractor expressed the same sentiment, although he complained about stealth taxes. He believed a change in chancelor now would create economic disaster. If you were Gordon wouldn't be a bit worried about the amount of debt. But lets face it these riches are mainly on paper and belonging to the banks and going to take most twenty years to realise if ever.

It is not even as if the money is being used properly.

On the radio last night a civil service representative stated said it would be wholly wrong to sack any public servants over the home office debacles. "It is the job of ministers to take the blame for mistakes, not public servants". Some of these people are on £100-200K a year and they refuse to take responsibility for their actions.

Edited by dog

273439008_m.gif WHAT????

Isn't that Mark Oaten of the Lib Dems on one of his 'working late dear' evenings? :ph34r:

That's the first time I've heard you be nice about someone Randall

Edited by wheresmyfoxhole

Brown is a thief - he has robbed all of the hard workers especially the self employed and has given it to the shirkers and spongers

Off you go to school you silly little boy - you'll be late

CS

Mark Oaten, what a sad case. He has a pretty wife at home, a good job, but starts losing his hair. Oh dear, he thinks, I'm losing my thatch, what shall I do? I know, I'm so depressed at looking at myself in the mirror I will have some fun with a rent boy. That is what all blokes do ???

And this pathetic excuse for a politician wanted to lead his party. You could not make it up.

Guest The_Oldie

Is there a difference between the State Second Pension and SERPS? If it's the same thing, those that contracted out of SERPS will be laughing.

Is there a difference between the State Second Pension and SERPS? If it's the same thing, those that contracted out of SERPS will be laughing.

Not if they've seen the returns they are getting on their money they won't be!

Guest The_Oldie

Not if they've seen the returns they are getting on their money they won't be!

Agreed, but at least The Treasury can't nick it. I was contracted out for a few years, but contracted back in again in 2003.