House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
binkybonka

So If It's Gonna Be Bad

I know it's been asked before, but as we stand on the edge of potential recession and financial tightening, I am curious as to what types of business actually prosper massively when the sh*t is hitting the fan?

Retail is obviously taking a hit despite M&S's announcement but what business will be absolutely thriving while the country hoards it's pennies?

The company I work for had its directors' think tank meeting a week ago. The department head relayed the contents of the meeting to us and said that we've already made 75% of our 2006 target and that we're relocating to a much nicer location next summer. I've seen the place and is is very nice... and only 15 minutes walk from where I live so no more petrol bills for commuting! Clearly we are doing well. Of course, this could be entirely down to the truly shite wages that we're all being paid :rolleyes:

Crack dealers and pimps. Particularly as all the girlie FTBs who bought crap flats at the top of the market have to go on the game to pay their mortgage.

Crack dealers and pimps. Particularly as all the girlie FTBs who bought crap flats at the top of the market have to go on the game to pay their mortgage.

So there is an upside to HPC?

My guess - Big Breweries, utility companies, anyone with a government license to print money ICT contract, anyone who already has a PFI or PPP contract with HMG, First Bus (worstbus) and well established internet sites such as Ebay and Amazon.

I would imagine Lidl and Aldi would do well. Poundstretcher and the like should be ok too. Saying that, I do mean that they certainly won't have to shut down. They may have to let people go aswell.

I would imagine Lidl and Aldi would do well. Poundstretcher and the like should be ok too. Saying that, I do mean that they certainly won't have to shut down. They may have to let people go aswell.

I think you'd be right about Lidl and Poundstretcher.

If we see what happened to M&S, it was only a couple of years ago when they were releasing poor performance figures, and blamed it on designer shops. Now they have turned the tables, but I wonder how much of that is because of people unable to afford designer labels nowadays.

Similarly if things get worse, then we may see Matalan figures improve.

Andrew

I asked my boss at work and she said opticians and optics in general do ok, people young and old always need glasses though contact lense sales tend to suffer as they are more of a luxury item for most.

well people always need dentists and hairdressers!

Reckon I could be OK on this one

I'm and STRer, and own two hair salons :D

.....but don't ask me to attempt your root canal treatment.

Guest Winners and Losers

Reckon I could be OK on this one

I'm and STRer, and own two hair salons :D

.....but don't ask me to attempt your root canal treatment.

Do you do right freds dead's hair? Does he have any? :rolleyes:

manufacturers of baseball bats ;)

Andrew

:lol::lol:

well people always need dentists and hairdressers!

Hi,

Depends how bad the recession is and how high interest rates go. Conceivably, you could shave your head regularly with electric-clippers or for longer hair, a bowl-style haircut can be adopted until more bouyant economic activity returns. Is it really a coincidence that the bowl-style cut was so popular in the 1970's at a time of often hard, economic times?

Boomer

Edited by boom_and_bust

Do you do right freds dead's hair? Does he have any? :rolleyes:

:lol::lol:

I suspect only a personal consultation with Nicky Clarke would be good enough for him.

Actually, I believe it is something of a myth that hairdressers do well in a recession. A business transfer agent warned me that during the 70s downturn, they were the first to suffer - though that probably had something to do with cutting back on the expensive Kevin Keegan perms.

Taking a slight gamble, I recently reduced prices and plastered them all over the windows, in the broad expectation of a deflationary depression. DOH. Looks like I'll have to get one of those electronic displays so I can keep pace with rampaging inflation.

ok here's another one.

defence industries.

the rationale behind it is when money gets tight,there will be squabbling and bullying over resources...these in turn act as surety when times get tough and the IR cut ammunition runs low....looks like what the US is aiming at now dunnit???......the likes of lockheed,raytheon,l3,thales,bae,etc etc have done very well since 2001.

for what it's worth I'm in the "stagflation" camp for the next 10 years.

"cashconverters" (another one opened up 3 days ago)

"The money shop" - lend you £500 till payday, cash cheques at 3%, pawn jewellery etc (a few have opened lately)

Bookmakers e.g. Corel, Ladbrookes, etc

Tanning salons and Nail bars are popping up, a new phenomenon I think. they seem to be doing a roaring trade

Internet cafes? More are opening too

Whats not doing well - clothes shops, pine furniture, tile shops, independent music stores, smaller mobile phone chains, independent computer shops

Guest Winners and Losers

I suspect only a personal consultation with Nicky Clarke would be good enough for him.

Actually, I believe it is something of a myth that hairdressers do well in a recession. A business transfer agent warned me that during the 70s downturn, they were the first to suffer - though that probably had something to do with cutting back on the expensive Kevin Keegan perms.

Taking a slight gamble, I recently reduced prices and plastered them all over the windows, in the broad expectation of a deflationary depression. DOH. Looks like I'll have to get one of those electronic displays so I can keep pace with rampaging inflation.

Have to say that in a recession, the expensive haircut would be the first thing to go for me (and I'm a girl). :unsure:

Yeah, RFD is such a nancy boy. :rolleyes:

I know it's been asked before, but as we stand on the edge of potential recession and financial tightening, I am curious as to what types of business actually prosper massively when the sh*t is hitting the fan?

Retail is obviously taking a hit despite M&S's announcement but what business will be absolutely thriving while the country hoards it's pennies?

recession would be caused by wage push inflation to catch up with debt/ cost of living burdens...

now this did cause big recessions before.. but Merv and gordie have promissed for years that there will be no inflation in this way..

So that would be high interest rates..

It minimised the last recession

Have to say that in a recession, the expensive haircut would be the first thing to go for me (and I'm a girl). :unsure:

Yeah, RFD is such a nancy boy. :rolleyes:

But you have no hair - your a skinhead!!!

TB

Guest Winners and Losers

But you have no hair - your a skinhead!!!

TB

Yeah, like I AM Sinead O'Connor. :rolleyes:

Secret TB - this forum is not 'real life'. ;)