House Price Crash Forum

My Car And The Benefits Of Immigration

HOLA441

thanks for all the very sensible suggestions above. I will bear them in mind (was using dealership in Leeds, but this is now moving understandably away from MGRovers - plus the warranties are invalid anyway since they went bust :angry: )

Have you built in all the hidden costs though. The cost of providing health, education, wear and tear of the roads and other public places for millions more people. Pollution created by more people. Increases in crime with more people. Probably a large rise in everybodies tax to pay for the extra public services. I reckon the hidden costs are £5000 a year for you, plus maybe £100,000 on the cost of buying a house. I would do it yourself.

don't you see the bind I'm in though? It is the raised cost of housing that has contributed to my insane lust to lower my costs in other areas. What an insidious vicious circle. Seems like the only solution is to become self-sufficient and learn to do it myself. So far, I've just about managed to learn how to keep my bicycle in good order (good maintenance has helped reduce the need for servicing and replacement bits).

Sadly, my BA(hons) has not prepared me well for a life of oily hands, milky tea, topless calenders and The Sun.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Sell the car and get one of these.

rickshaw6uy.jpg

Useful employment for an illegal immigrant, no tax to pay the government, environmentally friendly, you can use bus lanes and cycle lanes, you can read a paper on the way to work, no more over priced main dealers and it will fit in a garage attached to a new build house, unlike most cars.

Edited by 2112

HOLA443
HOLA444

Why not do it yourself?

It's soooooooooooo easy FFS!

Only if you've got the tools.

I remember trying to fix my old peugeot 205 when I was at college and trying to find somewhere that sold a 7mm allen key.

I even fixed the gear linkage once by making spacers out of 2p pieces with holes drilled in them! (doubled the value of the car)

Ah, those were the daze!

HOLA445

mods: you might consider this to be a little off-topic. If so, I promise not to spam the board with posts about a communist conspiracy to censor free speech.

at the weekend, I took my car for it's annual service (yes, I am a hypocrite, I do own such a vessel) and was informed by the garage that it required new front brake discs and pads, the back bit of the exhaust, and possibly the middle bit too. British engineering :rolleyes:

This was at the dealership garage. Total projected cost: £400+

This evening I intend to pop over the road and have a word with the local Polish mechanics operating out of a metal shack there. How much do you reckon they will quote me?

Nearest guess wins a complimentary "lebensraum" beermat at the forum meet next month (subject to availability).

I bought a Rover 25 brand new and on it's 3rd annual service they told me that they advised new brake disks costing circa £300. I asked them if it was essential bearing in mind I do very low mileage. They said "I suppose it would probably be ok for another year, but bear in mind you will definitely need them by next year" .

It's had two more annual services since then and no mention of needing new brake disks. Hmmmmm.

HOLA446

I bought a Rover 25 brand new and on it's 3rd annual service they told me that they advised new brake disks costing circa £300. I asked them if it was essential bearing in mind I do very low mileage. They said "I suppose it would probably be ok for another year, but bear in mind you will definitely need them by next year" .

It's had two more annual services since then and no mention of needing new brake disks. Hmmmmm.

9 times in 10, they just need skimming, the problem is that their labour charges to put it on ramps and to take the wheels off and strip it down mean you may as well just pay the extra £40-50 for discs as well. Plus most people can't see it, so they just pay (and half of new car owners are company drivers so they don't care).

My VW discs cracked at 40K and 3 years, though I had done lots of 100mph motorway stops on them, so that's fair enough....

HOLA447

Sadly, my BA(hons) has not prepared me well for a life

Indeed.

Shame, you'll continue to be at the mercy of those who charge a premium for relatively simple tasks (mechanics and landlords)!

This simple task has become an issue, so much so that you start a thread for advice, basically saying that you cannot afford to pay the market price to keep your car on the road. You are now considering compromising your own safety and risking damage to your vehicle. Your superiority complex prevents you 'having a go', expanding your own knowledge and reducing the amount you depend on others for theirs.

HOLA448

It's such a load of rubbish isn't it?

Pads need changing when they when they run out but you can probably get away with never changing discs. I've had several cars which have done over 100k on the original discs.

HOLA449

Only if you've got the tools.

I remember trying to fix my old peugeot 205 when I was at college and trying to find somewhere that sold a 7mm allen key.

I even fixed the gear linkage once by making spacers out of 2p pieces with holes drilled in them! (doubled the value of the car)

Ah, those were the daze!

Yes, I know what you mean but you can buy all that stuff on e-bay now.

It's such a load of rubbish isn't it?

Pads need changing when they when they run out but you can probably get away with never changing discs. I've had several cars which have done over 100k on the original discs.

Not true. One of the most common faults with discs is Run-out. When you press the brake pedal at high speed the steering wheel vibrates, familiar? This is caused either by crap discs or unskilled idiots over tightening wheel nuts.

HOLA4410

Not true. One of the most common faults with discs is Run-out. When you press the brake pedal at high speed the steering wheel vibrates, familiar? This is caused either by crap discs or unskilled idiots over tightening wheel nuts.

It's also often caused by warped discs by someone cooking them by repeated motorway stops from high speed when loaded...

HOLA4411

Indeed.

Shame, you'll continue to be at the mercy of those who charge a premium for relatively simple tasks (mechanics and landlords)!

This simple task has become an issue, so much so that you start a thread for advice, basically saying that you cannot afford to pay the market price to keep your car on the road. You are now considering compromising your own safety and risking damage to your vehicle. Your superiority complex prevents you 'having a go', expanding your own knowledge and reducing the amount you depend on others for theirs.

thanks for the constructive input. 3 pages before someone had a pop, not bad I suppose.

I shall have the answer for you all later this evening - I'm sure you can't wait :ph34r:

HOLA4412

I'm aware of the problems that can be caused by warped discs.

I guess it depends if you drive your car like it's a rental...

HOLA4413
Guest Guy_Montag

thanks for the constructive input. 3 pages before someone had a pop, not bad I suppose.

I shall have the answer for you all later this evening - I'm sure you can't wait :ph34r:

I'm always a little uncomfortable messing about with brakes. They are pretty vital, so I do them just before MOT time, then ask the mechanic to check them. But then I have a friendly & trusted mechanic.

Buy a Haines Manual, at least you can leave it in the car when it's getting MOT'd or serviced, hopefully they will think you know what you're on about.

HOLA4414
I guess it depends if you drive your car like it's a rental...

Leave used nappies under the seats, you mean?

I had a friend who worked at a car rental company in Florida, and he had a lot of stories about the things foreign tourists did to their cars: apparently having to dig out the nappies when they were returned was quite common.

HOLA4415

Sadly, my BA(hons) has not prepared me well for a life of oily hands, milky tea, topless calenders and The Sun.

Sorry, I took the above statement as an invitation.

HOLA4416

Sorry, I took the above statement as an invitation.

perhaps the element of knowing self-deprecation is not sufficiently evident on an internet forum.

Anyway, the outcome of my visit was:

English limited.

Very straightforward - you know how UK mechanics sometimes like to make things sound far too complicated for the poor punter to understand? This guy was devestatingly brusque - "bring it in and I will sort it"

I asked how much - "parts I do not know" (but thanks to you lot, I do) - labour £50 ! (£20 for brakes, £30 for exhaust). Quite remarkable n'est pas?

So I'm entertaining a compromise. I might let them have a go at the exhaust (suggesting/acquiring the part myself) and see how we go. By the sounds of it, the brakes might well be quite safe for the time being anyway. End result: frugality achieved, delicate artistic hands remain unsullied, UK unemployment raised, house prices fall.

I suppose this little exercise has really brought home to me the difference in wage expectations though. These Eastern Europeans are seriously undercutting indigenous labour

HOLA4417
Guest Winners and Losers

perhaps the element of knowing self-deprecation is not sufficiently evident on an internet forum.

Anyway, the outcome of my visit was:

English limited.

Very straightforward - you know how UK mechanics sometimes like to make things sound far too complicated for the poor punter to understand? This guy was devestatingly brusque - "bring it in and I will sort it"

I asked how much - "parts I do not know" (but thanks to you lot, I do) - labour £50 ! (£20 for brakes, £30 for exhaust). Quite remarkable n'est pas?

So I'm entertaining a compromise. I might let them have a go at the exhaust (suggesting/acquiring the part myself) and see how we go. By the sounds of it, the brakes might well be quite safe for the time being anyway. End result: frugality achieved, delicate artistic hands remain unsullied, UK unemployment raised, house prices fall.

I suppose this little exercise has really brought home to me the difference in wage expectations though. These Eastern Europeans are seriously undercutting indigenous labour

Do I win the beer mat? Was 80 quid closest? Not that I'm competitive or anything. :unsure:

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

tip- dont buy a flash car if you cant afford the maintenance

you ll just be fleeced

He did not, he bought a Rover with a Celtic band tattoo :)

That's very cheap, if you get the parts and you make sure they reconnect the brake wear indicators, it's very cheap - about £20 an hour - my local independent charges me £35 an hour, but I know him well. The exhaust ain't going to take that long.

I would be more concerned to see what actually needs doing on it - as I started, brakes and pads are this year's dealer joke, exhausts on a ZR are like those on the Hondas they are derived from , very weak, but usually only the tailpipe.

Glad we could help on parts prices at least....

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Do I win the beer mat? Was 80 quid closest? Not that I'm competitive or anything. :unsure:

sadly not, the cost of the bits will take it over £150 in total - still substantially less than the £400 minimum quoted by our Limey chums. Better luck next time - I'm sure I'll have another scrimping adventure soon enough - gotta keep putting pressure on the economy :)

HOLA4422

mods: you might consider this to be a little off-topic. If so, I promise not to spam the board with posts about a communist conspiracy to censor free speech.

at the weekend, I took my car for it's annual service (yes, I am a hypocrite, I do own such a vessel) and was informed by the garage that it required new front brake discs and pads, the back bit of the exhaust, and possibly the middle bit too. British engineering :rolleyes:

This was at the dealership garage. Total projected cost: £400+

This evening I intend to pop over the road and have a word with the local Polish mechanics operating out of a metal shack there. How much do you reckon they will quote me?

Nearest guess wins a complimentary "lebensraum" beermat at the forum meet next month (subject to availability).

What has this got to do with the "benefits" of immigration? Only people with money to burn use main dealers. I use an English mechanic who charged me the princley sum of £10 for a welding job last time it failed the MOT. You prefer to give your money to Eastern Europeans, which is your choice - perhaps the concept of buying British isn't exotic enough for some people. But that has nothing to do with benefits of immigration.. can English workers live 10 to a flat to save money and still pay an English mortgage and support a family?

At least the Eastern Euros havent starting shipping their entire economically-inactive extended families over en-masse yet... though perhaps we can look forward to Lithuanian version of Birmingham /Slough / Reading / High Wycombe / Nottingham / Peterborough / etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc one day.

HOLA4423

He did not, he bought a Rover with a Celtic band tattoo :)

in my defence, it was bought for cash. The chap selling me it was very disappointed, I think that particular organisation make most of their money from selling finance - the cars are often loss leaders.

and apart from the fact it seems to be falling to bits - I rather like the car :blink:

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

What has this got to do with the "benefits" of immigration? Only people with money to burn use main dealers. I use an English mechanic who charged me the princley sum of £10 for a welding job last time it failed the MOT. You prefer to give your money to Eastern Europeans, which is your choice - perhaps the concept of buying British isn't exotic enough for some people. But that has nothing to do with benefits of immigration.. can English workers live 10 to a flat to save money and still pay an English mortgage and support a family?

At least the Eastern Euros havent starting shipping their entire economically-inactive extended families over en-masse yet... though perhaps we can look forward to Lithuanian version of Birmingham /Slough / Reading / High Wycombe / Nottingham / Peterborough / etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc one day.

the simple truth is that I wanted to provoke a reasonable debate and perhaps put a fresh perspective on it - while garnering information that would help me to minimise costs in the upkeep of my British built car. I actually think I managed to succeed :)

I haven't made my mind up about anything yet - I'm trying to size up my options and make the best choice. Doing my own research by asking questions of people whom I generally respect.

If I were to go ahead, would I be exploiting cheap labour, with unpleasant consequences for society? Well, I've been on the receiving end of that one in my time.

From a purely selfish perspective, all I know is I'd be protecting my deposit.

Anyway, I think it's beyond the point where I can coherently add much more. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, it has certainly given me much food for thought. :)