House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jason

What Adds Value To Your Home?

So, what does everyone think the changes above would add to the value of an average property? Lets see if you can match the up and coming spin later this week...

~~~~~~~~~~~

A Few more questions if your really bored:

4. Increasing Number of Bedrooms from TWO to THREE (Increasing Floor Space by 140sqft)

1. +4%
  2. +6%
  3. +8%
  4. +10%
  5. +12%
  6. +14%
  7. +16%
  8. +18%
  9. +20%

5. Adding Central Heating (Average Gas installation cost £5k)

1. No change in Value - 0%
  2. +1%
  3. +2%
  4. +3%
  5. +4%
  6. +5%
  7. +6%
  8. +7%
  9. +8%
  10. +9%
  11. +10%

6. Having a Single Garage

1. +2%
  2. +4%
  3. +6%
  4. +8%
  5. +10%
Edited by Jason

So, what does everyone think the changes above would add to the value of an average property? Lets see if you can match the up and coming spin later this week...

~~~~~~~~~~~

A Few more questions if your really bored:

4. Increasing Number of Bedrooms from TWO to THREE (Increasing Floor Space by 140sqft)

1. +4%

2. +6%

3. +8%

4. +10%

5. +12%

6. +14%

7. +16%

8. +18%

9. +20%

1. No change in Value - 0%

2. +1%

3. +2%

4. +3%

5. +4%

6. +5%

7. +6%

8. +7%

9. +8%

10. +9%

11. +10%

1. +2%

2. +4%

3. +6%

4. +8%

5. +10%

I've already had too much red so feeling a trifle cantankerous but this is analogous to the old how many angels can dance on the head of a pin thing that so exercised theologians of the past.

Anyway, is this in London or mid Wales or?

However, if you're anticipating VI nonsense, more bedrooms good, central heating now a given, single garage depends on location of property. Central London, worth loads, mid Wales expected.

I've already had too much red so feeling a trifle cantankerous but this is analogous to the old how many angels can dance on the head of a pin thing that so exercised theologians of the past.

Anyway, is this in London or mid Wales or?

However, if you're anticipating VI nonsense, more bedrooms good, central heating now a given, single garage depends on location of property. Central London, worth loads, mid Wales expected.

I agree that it totally depends on the location, although an average was given for the UK as a whole - which refer to the above.

This went down like a lead balloon, didn't it.

Good try

The answers are just too varied to quantify as everyone is looking for something slightly different in a property

I'm sure it's nothing personal Jason

Try another topic

CS

Source: Nationwide

Answers:

1. Increasing number of Bedrooms from 2 to 3 (No change in Floor Space)
+6%
2. Coverting Loft Space to Create an Extra Bedroom and Bathroom (Increase Floor Space by 300sqft, cost £17.5k)
20.9%
3. What Premium would a New Build DETACHED property command (compared to a Second Hand Property with similar characteristics)?
"Slightly Less"
+12%
+6.8%
+7.7%

It looks like most of you got it wrong!!!

Good try

The answers are just too varied to quantify as everyone is looking for something slightly different in a property

I'm sure it's nothing personal Jason

Try another topic

CS

I had to bribe my insider at Nationwide for this. The report will come out on Saturday.

Edited by Jason

Guest Cletus VanDamme

This went down like a lead balloon, didn't it.

I voted!

Try posting it on the C4 4Homes forum, you'll get a lot more interest there than here I think.

I love the way you have "Dont know/Dont care on all 3 polls and people have selected it.

If you dont know, or dont care - why even take part????

Some people! They're MAADDDD!! <_<

TB

[/indent]2. Coverting Loft Space to Create an Extra Bedroom and Bathroom (Increase Floor Space by 300sqft, cost £17.5k)

20.9%

3. What Premium would a New Build DETACHED property command (compared to a Second Hand Property with similar characteristics)?

"Slightly Less"

+12%

+6.8%

+7.7%

[/indent]It looks like most of you got it wrong!!!

So the nationwide is telling us that the most money is made by having major works done to our own homes and not moving to shiny new ones (FFS, a new detached carries a premium, it's NOT worth less and I challenge anyone to come up with any developer or agent who says it is - that's the whole damned point of new) - they are suggesting that a second bathroom adds 8% and with another bedroom 20% plus.

Just who did they ask for this, or did they simply cross check their selling details and extrapolate, ignoring that 3 bed 2 bath homes tend to be higher spec than 2 bed 2 bath anyway and tend to be bigger.

Suspect (though I am happy to be proved wrong) - too much self-interest and vagueness about it.

So the nationwide is telling us that the most money is made by having major works done to our own homes and not moving to shiny new ones (FFS, a new detached carries a premium, it's NOT worth less and I challenge anyone to come up with any developer or agent who says it is - that's the whole damned point of new) - they are suggesting that a second bathroom adds 8% and with another bedroom 20% plus.

Just who did they ask for this, or did they simply cross check their selling details and extrapolate, ignoring that 3 bed 2 bath homes tend to be higher spec than 2 bed 2 bath anyway and tend to be bigger.

Suspect (though I am happy to be proved wrong) - too much self-interest and vagueness about it.

I have included the document to which this thread was taken from: http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...pe=post&id=3366

Wrong poll. The "right" poll should have been :

Q1 : "In a bull market, which of the following adds value over and above the cost of work. "

Q2 : "In a bear market, which of the following adds value over and above the cost of work. "

Those are questions worth answering because they have answers worth knowing.

Edited by Sledgehead