House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
brownbear

Feel Good Factor

Nobody else has mentioned this, so I wanted to mention that there may be a mini boom, due to a rise in sentiment and a feel good factor, in part of the Home Counties.

I am referring, of course, to Watford following the team's magnificent victory over Leeds yesterday. The champagne bubbles at Vicarage Road will take longer to burst than the housing market.

(Commiserations to Leeds fans)

Nobody else has mentioned this, so I wanted to mention that there may be a mini boom, due to a rise in sentiment and a feel good factor, in part of the Home Counties.

I am referring, of course, to Watford following the team's magnificent victory over Leeds yesterday. The champagne bubbles at Vicarage Road will take longer to burst than the housing market.

(Commiserations to Leeds fans)

Best team won - Leeds were f*ckin crap!!!

TB

As if Watfordians needed another reason to celebrate after kicking out two of the last three Labour councillors earlier in the month.

As if Watfordians needed another reason to celebrate after kicking out two of the last three Labour councillors earlier in the month.

Yeseterday, I was definately wearing yellow (I keep the red for my politics).

Trouble is they replaced them with Lib Dems who are even worse.

The Lib-Dems have consistently opposed the National Identity Register / ID Cards.

With all the chavs beating each other up on Watford highstreet every weekend and all the illegal immigrants flooding the town I am beginning to think they may be a good idea...................

With all the chavs beating each other up on Watford highstreet every weekend and all the illegal immigrants flooding the town I am beginning to think they may be a good idea................... [whiterabbit]

How could ID cards possible address either of these concerns? So-called chavs should be arrested if they break the law regardless of who they are. The police don't generally have a problem with finding out who people are -- typically they're already on first name terms with the more persistent troublemakers.

By definition, illegal immigrants aren't likely to register, so ID cards will be of little, if any, help in combating illegal immigration (asylum seekers are already issued with ID cards).

Spain has compulsory ID cards. Has that enabled them to control illegal immigration?

'Spain launches immigrant amnesty'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4242411.stm

It is estimated that more than one million people live and work in Spain illegally -- thousands in two of Spain's most important industries: agriculture and construction.

Italy has compulsory ID cards. Has that enabled them to control illegal immigration?

'Italy considers immigrant amnesty':

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5005858.stm

Italy has had several amnesties for illegal immigrants and on each occasion, the number of residency permits available has been far exceeded by the number of people applying.

Two months ago, more than 500,000 people queued for just 180,000 permits. The numbers applying show there are far more illegal immigrants living in Italy than official statistics suggest.

The National Identity Register and ID Cards are estimated to cost between £10.6 and £19.2 billion (not including external costs such as being forced to take time off work to be fingerprinted like a common criminal). Meanwhile, it's suggested that a fifth of police posts are to be be scrapped to save money.

Then there are the unintended consequences. We know from opinion polls that ID Cards will alienate many millions of British people. Several million are willing to engage in civil disobedience to frustrate this profoundly un-British imposition. As a refusenik myself, I may one day be forced to work 'outside the system' to survive in the country of my birth. A large and prosperous informal economy is now in my best interests. Consequently, if I came across an 'illegal' worker I would no longer report them.

I'm surprised at you of all people buying NuLabour's propaganda. Not even the BNP think ID Cards are a good idea.

Edited to change article on Spain and add article on Italy.

Edited by Jeff Ross