House Price Crash Forum

Trading Halted In India - Government On Suicide Alert

HOLA441

This story is shocking, looks like the suffering has started.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/22/markets/st...watch/index.htm

Monday was a bruising day for overseas markets.

Trading was halted in India after the country's benchmark BSE index lost over 10 percent. It later recovered some ground, but authorities were still on high alert for suicides, Reuters reported.

Trading was halted in India after the country's benchmark BSE index lost over 10 percent. It later recovered some ground, but authorities were still on high alert for suicides, Reuters reported.

Some more news on this...

http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/22/news/inter....reut/index.htm

India's stocks recover after largest-ever fall

Police patrol lakes, canals in India for suicidal brokers following 10 percent stock plunge.

Indian police are watching out for possible suicides by brokers and investors after a steep market slide wiped out billions of dollars in share values.

Policemen were keeping a watch near lakes and canals, possible places where people in distress could head to kill themselves.

"Gold has turned into brass. We are finished," said S.S. Gupta, a middle-aged Mumbai broker who said he had lost millions of rupees in two hours of trading on Monday morning.

"I borrowed money to trade in the market. I lost it all in the past two days," said 37-year-old Sanjay Joshi, a small investor. "I don't know how will I repay my loans."

Edited by drhewitt

HOLA442
"
I borrowed money to trade in the market. I lost it all in the past two days," said 37-year-old Sanjay Joshi, a small investor. "I don't know how will I repay my loans
."

I believe it is the case that quite a few in the UK have been MEWing to buy into the stockmarket which accounted for at least some of the mortgage actvity since the bull run began ealier in the year.

Anyone cash out before things got rough? BTLers and OO with too much debt at least have a few weeks to get out whereas the sheeple who followed the crowd into Equities too late had little time to abandon ship.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Police patrol lakes, canals in India for suicidal brokers following 10 percent stock plunge.

Indian police are watching out for possible suicides by brokers and investors after a steep market slide wiped out billions of dollars in share values.

Policemen were keeping a watch near lakes and canals, possible places where people in distress could head to kill themselves.

"Gold has turned into brass. We are finished," said S.S. Gupta, a middle-aged Mumbai broker who said he had lost millions of rupees in two hours of trading on Monday morning.

"I borrowed money to trade in the market. I lost it all in the past two days," said 37-year-old Sanjay Joshi, a small investor. "I don't know how will I repay my loans."

Thought you were joking

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
I took a bit of a gamble last night. £250 stake - £1200 profit!

The only time I played roulette I started with $0.25 and worked it up to $10 before I decided to quit while I was ahead :).

But I'd never borrow large amounts of money to 'invest' in a speculative asset: one of my friends almost got wiped out doing that in the mid-90s. It may work well in a bull market, but when the market turns on you all those profits can vanish in seconds, along with the money you borrowed.

HOLA448

If the Indian crash spreads there could be some interesting developments for the HPI-MEW economy here as confidence vanishes:

Turkey follows suit:

http://www.seeurope.net/en/Story.php?StoryID=60360

TURKEY: Markets Fall on Political-economic Developments

2006-05-22 16:52:21

Turkish markets fell sharply on Monday
amid fresh investor concern about the domestic political and economic outlook and prospects for U.S. interest rate hikes, analysts say.

Asian markets are plunging too:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp.../209673/1/.html

Time is GMT + 8 hours

Posted: 22 May 2006 1836 hrs

Singapore shares plunge 3.1 percent
SINGAPORE : Singapore share prices plunged 3.1 percent Monday after fears of rising US interest rates sparked massive sell-offs in global markets, dealers said.

HOLA449

The only time I played roulette I started with $0.25 and worked it up to $10 before I decided to quit while I was ahead :).

But I'd never borrow large amounts of money to 'invest' in a speculative asset: one of my friends almost got wiped out doing that in the mid-90s. It may work well in a bull market, but when the market turns on you all those profits can vanish in seconds, along with the money you borrowed.

I personally have borrowed and made money and would do so again. People who built Brittain were predominently risk - takers. They mortgaged everything to charter boats and seek thier fortunes in the world.

One of my brothers started an internet hosting and services company 1 year ago. He ended up living off credit cards with a £75000 balance, 2 kids and a £225000 mortgage to support.

1 year on and he's now making up to £1000 per day profit and embarking on a debt reduction campaign.

The founder of Bodyshop got heavily indebt to get going.

I wouldnt critiscise those that dont want risk in thier lives, but at the same time I dont agree with the blanket statment 'dont gamble what you cant afford to loose'. The majority of todays business's started as a costly gamble for someone.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Guest Charlie The Tramp

People who built Brittain were predominently risk - takers. They mortgaged everything to charter boats and seek thier fortunes in the world.

That was in the days before every man and his dog came along. ;)

HOLA4412

Guess it's lucky I wrote off my Singapore shares a few months ago: at least I sold enough earlier that I didn't lose any real money when they crashed.

Which shares were you in? The STI is 10% off but still higher than it was 'a few months ago'.

JY

HOLA4413

I personally have borrowed and made money and would do so again. People who built Brittain were predominently risk - takers. They mortgaged everything to charter boats and seek thier fortunes in the world.

One of my brothers started an internet hosting and services company 1 year ago. He ended up living off credit cards with a £75000 balance, 2 kids and a £225000 mortgage to support.

1 year on and he's now making up to £1000 per day profit and embarking on a debt reduction campaign.

The founder of Bodyshop got heavily indebt to get going.

I wouldnt critiscise those that dont want risk in thier lives, but at the same time I dont agree with the blanket statment 'dont gamble what you cant afford to loose'. The majority of todays business's started as a costly gamble for someone.

Borrowing to fulfill a business plan where risks have been analysed and you know what you are doing is one thing ( I know as I borrow from time to time for my business) but borrowing to gamble in a market you know very little about, just because othes are making money is plain stupid and will usually end in failure.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
The STI is 10% off but still higher than it was 'a few months ago'.

Yeah, but my shares aren't :). Admittedly they're still worth about $25k, but they were more like $85k at the peak last year... I got too greedy or I'd have sold all of them then rather than just enough to cover the initial investment.

I seem to have a knack for buying low, it's the selling high I haven't quite sorted out yet.

HOLA4416

any idea if this share price correction would have any impact on indian property market, given that indian economy is still expanding and growing at around 8%. Are economic fundamentals still conducive for a healthy and growing housing market there?

HOLA4417

Hmmm. I can see a similar quote to this a few years from now...

"I borrowed money to buy a house. The economic miracle suddenly was no more. I lost my job, I couldn't afford to pay my mortgage, and my house isn't worth what I paid for it. I don't know how will I repay my loans."

A fool and his money...

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Hmmm. I can see a similar quote to this a few years from now...

"I borrowed money to buy a house. The economic miracle suddenly was no more. I lost my job, I couldn't afford to pay my mortgage, and my house isn't worth what I paid for it. I don't know how will I repay my loans."

A fool and his money...

A fool and someone elses money...

HOLA4422

they were similar to what we have had so far - may 2004 down 17% - we are only down about that from the peak now

of course there may be further to go?!?!?!

yep the correction from the peak now is about 17%, but i think they have further to go down despite the assurance from the FM. Though the economic fundamentals are still strong but only strong enough to support the sensex at another 10-50% lower than where it is today.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Mad cow's ? nah

it ws the Yen carry trade that pushed the index up. and it is the Yen carry which will bring it down

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=1...id=aufaGcMhwXp0

"Just before last week's decline, these yen-denominated funds had the equivalent of $6 billion in Indian assets under management. Put another way, Japanese mutual funds accounted for more than 31 percent of the net overseas investment in India since September 2004." got to love it. Free money given out in Tokyo causes suicides in india, Chaos theory has a lot to answer for.