House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest muttley

Brown Has "destroyed Confidence In Statistis"

There was a programme about this on R4 a while back, it's a little dry so nobody really cares, however the ONS lost their independent press people and all their announcements and releases have to go through NuLabour spin doctors, any bad news is simply omitted or doctored.

The ONS is a joke, I'd sooner trust a five year old with an abacus.

I wonder how many people they surveyed to draw the conclusion that people have lost their trust in statistics?

80% of people think the government and ONS are a lying bunch of crooks

20% of people think the government and ONS are wonderful and honest and produce helpful indicators, a positive and dramatic change

source: Office of Nobbled Statistics

Edited by BuyingBear

I'll bet my house that the 2% inflation figure is correct.

But then, I did sell it last year to better whether the inevitable economic shitestorm that is about to engulf us.

Guest Bart of Darkness

Government statistics can be trusted IMPLICITLY.

47% of all people between the ages of 18-65 know this.

Hmmm, goverment come up with dodgy dossiers to lie us into an illegal war they cooked up in private long before it become subject to public debate, they call for a national ID linked to a central database, they remove centuries old rights to protest and jury trials.

Still, I'm sure they wouldn't mess with official statistics - no, sir.

Wake up, people.

I wonder how many people they surveyed to draw the conclusion that people have lost their trust in statistics?

Hi,

It was actually a report compiled by the national professional body for statisticians and was presented at the statics commision by Lord Moser, himself one of the senior, professional statisticians in the UK and a former head of the ONS for a decade. He wasn't just critising the current figures but also the planned 'independence of the ONS', the thing the BoE has called for. He believes Brown is creating a similar situation to the independent BoE whereby the ONS will still be 'subject to the usual political pressures' and is little more than spin. It is worth reading in depth. All spin as usual by NuLabour, a conclusion by an independent professional body, on the back of the BoE's mistrust of headline inflation., etc., Can't wait to see how Gordy will parcel wrap the Nuclear Energy contracts with his borther's firm EDF in the near future, will be another master stroke of spin no doubt, maybe he'll use another hacked, misqouted Thesis off the internet just like Iraq.

Boomer

I wonder how many people they surveyed to draw the conclusion that people have lost their trust in statistics? [Father Fred]

'No change in public confidence in official statistics' [september 2005] [PDF]:

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/pdfdir/pco0905.pdf

The figures show that 37 per cent of people agree that figures are generally accurate while 31 per cent disagree -- 32 per cent are unable to give an opinion.

However, only 17 per cent of people believe that official figures are produced without political interference and only 14 per cent say the government uses official figures honestly.

The figures come from a survey of 1,700 people aged 16 and over in Great Britain who were asked about the level of trust they had in government statistics, government institutions and certain public officials.

An earlier survey is referenced in 'Public Confidence in Official Statistics: A qualitative study on behalf of the Office for National Statistics and the Statistics' [February 2005] [PDF]:

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/about/data/pu...iveAnalysis.pdf

Goddard E (1996). Public Confidence in Official Statistics. Office for National

Statistics. (unpublished).

Also see 'Independent statistics will add up to more expense':

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...1/29/ccom29.xml

...it is worth pointing out that the lack of public confidence in official statistics is a relatively recent phenomenon, linked rather clearly to the rise to power of Brown.

The ONS was created in 1996, as the previous government welded together the Central Statistical Office, the Office of Population, Censuses and Surveys and the Registrar's Office. It was then given control over the job market statistics when the Department of Employment was shut down.

Before 1997, it is fair to say the public were rarely worried about whether No 11 was spinning ONS numbers. As the years have passed, this trust died as Brown filled the ONS with ex-Treasury cronies. Some statisticians whispered that a new obsession with bumping up economic growth figures took hold.

Now even the Chancellor has recognised that he has to move to stop the rot, perhaps after a quiet word with the new statto queen, Karen Dunnell.

But there is still much to do before the public can genuinely believe in the ONS. Aside from making politically independent decisions, the ONS will have to raise its game, and cut the number and size of its revisions. These are so frequent that even the Bank of England says it does not believe the official statistics.

Upping the accuracy will take money, of course, and the one question that no one answered yesterday is: Who will end up paying?

gordon brown is a lying pile of the very worst foul turgid hell..

I wish him the slowest screaming death that the sickest mind took decades to dream of.

He sits there and he lies.

to me.

and I pay hin and he has killed the country and lied to me.

and he thinks he will be my prime minister....

Having an angry moment....

I like the anger.. I am getting on with my life.. but I am doing so despite the government.. but I must not let the anger fade.

Labour, you represent the death of the young, sacrificed to line the pockets of the lazy generation who should know that they need to earn money..

I am 32..

but I look at the kids nowadays £120,000 more to get going then their parents...

Gordon Brown has destroyed a lot more than some statistics.

He's presided over an economy which will take a long time to recover from the forthcoming downturn.

Still, Gordon won't care, because his pension will be OK.