House Price Crash Forum
KKeenan

Oxford House Prices (abingdon In Particular)

Hi,

I would appreciate some opinions on house prices in Abingdon outside Oxford. My job is being relocated to Oxford for 2 years and I am considering buying an apartment through Persimmon Homes at The Maltings in Abingdon (Oxford central too expensive). The asking price is £210,000 but it is my intention to sell again after the 2 year period. I am concerned with talk of house prices in decline and would like peoples thoughts on prices in this area. Also If I decide to rent instead what is a reasonable rent for a good quality 2 bed preferably furnished,

Thanks,

Kevin.

Hi,

I would appreciate some opinions on house prices in Abingdon outside Oxford. My job is being relocated to Oxford for 2 years and I am considering buying an apartment through Persimmon Homes at The Maltings in Abingdon (Oxford central too expensive). The asking price is £210,000 but it is my intention to sell again after the 2 year period. I am concerned with talk of house prices in decline and would like peoples thoughts on prices in this area. Also If I decide to rent instead what is a reasonable rent for a good quality 2 bed preferably furnished,

Thanks,

Kevin.

Should be able to rent a nice 2bed in Oxford for £650-750pcm

I lived in Abingdon for a year. It's a nice, if rather sleepy town. All you need on your doorstep - Waitrose, good restaurants, etc.

I don't know the Maltings so can't advise other than to concur with kman that 700pcm should rent you a nice 2-bed house or an even better flat.

I lived in Abingdon for a year. It's a nice, if rather sleepy town. All you need on your doorstep - Waitrose, good restaurants, etc.

I don't know the Maltings so can't advise other than to concur with kman that 700pcm should rent you a nice 2-bed house or an even better flat.

noticed that a lot of stuff is shifting that had been hanging around, feels like a new mini-boom round here. Especially since it was named as the No1 BTL plac ein the UK by Phil & kirsty. My brother bought two places at the begining of the year at huge discounts on asking price he's rubbing his hands togther know - easy money like taking candy form a baby. Wis I was in the market like him.

Hi,

Thanks,

Kevin.

Kevin

My guess is that you will not get anything like what you paid in 2 years time. Abingdon is NOT Oxford and Oxford is already overpriced anyway (K & P's assessment is just wrong). I'd suggest renting and looking for a brgain when prices drop.

Kevin

My guess is that you will not get anything like what you paid in 2 years time. Abingdon is NOT Oxford and Oxford is already overpriced anyway (K & P's assessment is just wrong). I'd suggest renting and looking for a brgain when prices drop.

When prices drop? surely you mean "if", and quite a big "if" at that!

Also, why is Oxford overpriced if people are willing to pay those prices?

Edited by Oxoniensis

If you're really intending to sell after 2 years, then the buying/selling transaction costs are going to be steep. Plus there is the risk of a property downturn even if the perma-bears are wrong, you can still get caught out if you *have* to sell -- lots of people who sold last year would have done better to wait until this year as it turned out.

2-bed furnished in Abingdon is probaby 650-750 a month as others have said.

Where are you going to work? If in Oxford itself, then consider living somewhere like Botley so you can cycle in -- Oxford traffic is dire, even when they aren't digging up half the ringroad. Going rate for the Botley estate houses is 215k or so. Headington can be fairly pleasant, personally I woudn't want to live in Marston. SE Oxford in general is very variable quality-wise, including some very poor areas (which is why all the money is in N.Oxford).

Commuting in by car from Abingdon is possible, but the guy who used to work in our office who commuted from Abingdon worked 8am-4pm in order to avoid the traffic.

(We both live & work in Oxford, so know the area fairly well...) PM me if you've any questions...

Phil

Edited by pharm

When prices drop? surely you mean "if", and quite a big "if" at that!

Also, why is Oxford overpriced if people are willing to pay those prices?

No, I mean 'when'. I have no doubt about that.

They are overpriced because the average person buy cannot afford to buy an average property and when (sorry if) interest rates rise people aready stretched will be forced to sell at reduced prices. Where I was in Summertown two bed flats are on sale for £300-£400k.

No, I mean 'when'. I have no doubt about that.

They are overpriced because the average person buy cannot afford to buy an average property and when (sorry if) interest rates rise people aready stretched will be forced to sell at reduced prices. Where I was in Summertown two bed flats are on sale for £300-£400k.

Time will tell, I suppose, but the situation is very different from that in the late 80s, especially since first time buyers now account for less than 10% of new buys. Also, if interest rates do rise, and they probably will, where will they go? 6% max?