House Price Crash Forum

Birth Of Http://www.bulle-immobiliere.org

Dear friend,

Just a quick note that http://www.bulle-immobiliere.org was born today. The site is studying the fall of house prices in France. It focuses on economical and demographical surveys. I hope that the content will evolve quickly with the help of a small community.

Would it be possible to add a link from your site to http://www.bulle-immobiliere.org? A link pointing at http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk is already on our site. Also, we would like to thank the maintainers of http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk for their involvement in the search for academic and non-biased information about the market. Keep on the good work!

Kind regards,

Jean-Michel Pouré

http://www.bulle-immobiliere.org

Toutes les informations concernant la bulle de l'immobilier en France.

Would it be possible to add a link from your site to http://www.bulle-immobiliere.org?

I'm sure the Webmaster and some of the people who run our site would be more than happy to set up a link to bulle-immobiliere.org. May I be the first to congratulate you on the creation of a most excellent site, I read French passably and many of your comments are most astute! Mes felicitations!

I'm sure the Webmaster and some of the people who run our site would be more than happy to set up a link to bulle-immobiliere.org. May I be the first to congratulate you on the creation of a most excellent site, I read French passably and many of your comments are most astute! Mes felicitations!

For all those unilingualists out there this link may be useful.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...mmobiliere.org/

Japhy

I just thought I'd boost this up the board as it didn't get so many hits

We're all in the same boat. You wouldn't believe what passes for an apartment in paris I used to have a bathroom bigger than my freinds apartment. (I wasn't in Paris).

Check out the translation software from google it's pretty awsome when you think about it.

Japhy

Since we are on the subject, the coming crash may well be international, not just a UK crash. This has been discussed here at HPC before, but I just wanted to bring this up again in this context. Once property prices start falling in earnest in the UK, what is going to happen to all those second homes owned by Brits in France, Spain, Cyprus and elsewhere in the meds? I would guess many of these have been financed on MEW with the intention to "rent them out and sell for a profit later or use for a retirement home".

I genuinely can see a huge reduction in property prices, say, 20 years out. Don't forget, the baby boom was a response to a global phenomenon, World War II, and the baby boom was a global phenomenon too: Japan, the US, UK, France, Italy, they all have the babyboomers, that huge section of the population which were born not too long after the war. Do a Google search for "The Coming Generational Storm"

bull-immobiliere has an excellent definition for a bubble:

Une bulle est un état du marché dans lequel la seule raison pour laquelle le prix est élevé aujourd'hui est que les investisseurs pensent que le prix de vente sera encore plus élevés demain, alors que les facteurs fondamentaux ne semblent pas justifier un tel prix.

My translation: "A bubble is a state of the market in which the sole reason for the price being elevated today is that the investors think that the sale price will be more elevated tomorrow, and therefore the fundamental factors do not seem to justify the price."

(this little translation also shows that English is really not a language of its own, but just French spelt and pronounced the wrong way). :P

Tres Bien

I suspect that the holiday home will be the first luxery to be sold when times get hard over here in the UK. If I was French I would be mighty annoyed at Essex man invading France.

I have no problem with people buying French property as long as they live there and attempt to fit in with the locals. I hate it when they try and impose Essex or Kent and try and re-create 'chav' communities.

Are there any French people reading this who have opinions on british people buying property in France? I would be interested to learn their honest opinion of this phenomena.

Maybe I can try to answer to this post:

According to a recent study of the INSEE (I cannot remember it but will publish information on http://www.bulle-immobiliere.org), the impact of Brits buying dwellings in France is minor. It is mostly a "mirage" to believe that a few thousand people can influence a market of 61 million inhabitants.

Let's go back to the definition of the bubble: Thinking that a few thousands Brits can influence the market in France on the long run, because a few thousands of them fly on Ryanair IS the bubble. A bubble IS this kind of mirage.

Also, another study of the INSEE points out that foreigners do not influence the prices of dwellings in Paris. From memory, I would say that the figures of foreigners buying in Paris must be around 2% of the total market.

Here too, thinking that Paris could be "owned" by foreigners is part of the Bubble phenomenon.

Kind regards,

Jean-Michel

I would have to disagree with you on that point Jean-Michel. This report states that 20% of ALL new owners in Paris are foreign nationals:

http://www.rics.org/Property/Propertymarke...Prices+Peak.htm

Also, according to the figures that one usually reads in the British press, at least 1 million Brits own property in France, and the number is rising rapidly.

Can you visit this address for a start: http://www.chambre-gironde.notaires.fr/immoch/profil.htm

In the South-East of France, only 1,2% of buyers are foreigners. Reading statistics of the INSEE, I recall figures from 2% only. We must understand that the Bubble is mainly a glitter in the eye. It is based on nothing but wrong information. If you visit http://www.bulle-immobiliere.org, you will mainly find government and University information.

I am adding this sentence to my site : "People think that Paris is going to be bought by Brits, let's buy quickly before the invasion".

Hmmm!!

Excellent post from France.

Interesting about predicted price falls, and the relatively low percentage of foreign homeowners. I believe that there are probably as many parisiens who have bought country retreats as there are english, dutch, germans etc.

I have been married to a Frenchman for 17 yrs, and we have made our home and worked in the Uk all our lives. It had always been my husbands dream to have his own little bit of France to return to as and when req.

We have used money from STR to make this purchase, and have been lovingly restoring this property for 2 yrs.I have always felt that there is a little bad feeling that yet another house has been bouhgt by a part timer, but in general people are always friendly. Two yrs ago, when we bought the agent said that he was fed up selling everything to the brits...but you know for every little barn or wreck of a house there is for sale, there is also a farmer, family,etc making a tidy sum of money.The family who sold us their longere retired on the proceeds.

Bubblemania is driven by greed and fear of losing out on both sides.

The money we made on our UK home enabled us to buy our French retreat that bit earlier than expected....and I suspect that all our new english neighbours who have bought up within the last 2 yrs...well? some may not last the course. :)

Thanks for your comments. My wife is Canadian and our two young sons are subjects of the Queen, so I understand what you mean. Poor little boys :P

I will be back shortly with accurate figures from the INSEE, based on 2003 data. Considering the large number of Frenchmen living in London, would you say that they are buying the place? In reality, the overall percentage of non-residents buying in London must be closer to 2%. In Gironde, the most popular place for Brits in France, the figure is 1,5 percent (one point five percent) of foreign investment. And people there complain about foreigners buying houses.

IMHO, the most interesting part of the Bubblemania is the phenomenon of Rumors. Taking your post, reading it, people could really believe that France is being bought by foreigners. In reality, it is not, and we have to get back to reality.

• 3 weeks later...
Are there any French people reading this who have opinions on british people buying property in France? I would be interested to learn their honest opinion of this phenomena.

In French

C'est très intéressant pour les francais que les retraités britanniques s'installent en France. Ce sont des personnes qui ont généralement de très gros moyens financiers et cet argent est injecté directement dans l'économie francaise.

C'est vous qui devez vous inquiéter de voir partir cette population solvable.

In English with google

It is very interesting for French whom the British pensioners settle in France. They are people who generally have very large financial means and this money is injected directly into the French economy. It is you who must worry about see leaving this solvent population.

Cordialement

PapaHuche

cet argent est injecté directement dans l'économie francaise.

L'argent est injecte directement dans le logement francais, oui. Dans l'economie? Negligeable.

C'est vous qui devez vous inquiéter de voir partir cette population solvable.

Est-ce qu'il y a aucun indice qu'ils vont partir? Plutot qu'ils s'installent plus que jamais! Et pourquoi s'inquieter? Si les anglais partent, le prix de l'immoblier francais baissera, ce qui est bien pour les francais, non?

Cordialement,

zz.

Jacques Chirac a dit aux etudiants d'Oxford que 500.000 britanniques possédent une résidence en France. Cela fait beaucoup de tasses de thé à boire :D

Jacques Chirac said to the students of Oxford that 500.000 British have a residence in France. That done many cups of tea to drinking

francais03.gif

Jacques Chirac a dit aux etudiants d'Oxford que 500.000 britanniques possédent une résidence en France.

Je pense que c'est beaucoup plus que ca meme. Peut-etre 1 ou 2 million(s) ont achete une residence francaise, et beaucoup plus rendent la France visite (La France a experimente 80 millions visites touristiques il ya quatre ans, ce qui continue d'accroitre chaque annee)

Je vous transmettrai les statistiques de l'office de Tourisme de Paris prochainement.

Peut-etre 1 ou 2 million(s) ont achete une residence francaise

Quelle est votre source d'information ?

Jacques Chirac a dit 500.000

--------------------------------------------

I will transmit to you the statistics of the office of Tourism of Paris soon.

Perhaps 1 or 2 million has achete a French residence

Which is your source of information? Jacques Chirac said 500.000