House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OnlyMe

I Hope Nobody Fell For The Advertising

You can bet your boots that when "celebs" are trundled out to advertise products that somebody (usually the purchaser) is gong to end up short changed.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/saving-and-ba...89&in_page_id=7

Premium Bond prizes are cut

Sascha Hutchinson, This is Money

19 May 2006

Reader comments (5)

INVESTORS in Premium Bonds will have less chance of winning the big prizes after June 1 when the prize fund rate drops from 3% to 2.95%.

I guess I was indirectly affected by the ad campaign. I had been meaning to buy some for the last few years but I finally signed up after a mate told me he'd just won after putting £3k in a few months ago. However I put the minimum in (£100) just to have an open account to transfer money to if I ever reach the 40% tax threshold. I doubt that'll be for quite a while but at least I have better odds of winning £1m that putting £1 on the lottery every week.

I have to admit they are a bit crafty with the whole ad campaign. Reel 'em in then drop the prizes. I wonder if Sugar knew they had plans to drop the prize winnings?

You can bet your boots that when "celebs" are trundled out to advertise products that somebody (usually the purchaser) is gong to end up short changed.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/saving-and-ba...89&in_page_id=7

Premium Bond prizes are cut

Sascha Hutchinson, This is Money

19 May 2006

Reader comments (5)

INVESTORS in Premium Bonds will have less chance of winning the big prizes after June 1 when the prize fund rate drops from 3% to 2.95%.

Pants! Now I'm even less likely to increase my winnings of £0 over the last two years on my holding of £500 worth! I'm the only person I know who hasn't won anything on the Premium Bonds in that time ... and some of those who have won have less invested than I do! These 'Get-Rich-Quick' schemes aren't all they're cracked up to be! ;)

Pants! Now I'm even less likely to increase my winnings of £0 over the last two years on my holding of £500 worth! I'm the only person I know who hasn't won anything on the Premium Bonds in that time ... and some of those who have won have less invested than I do! These 'Get-Rich-Quick' schemes aren't all they're cracked up to be! ;)

lol :). Your right, I have 2K in PB for about 1 1/2 years and now you not alone, because i haven't won a thing either!

lol :). Your right, I have 2K in PB for about 1 1/2 years and now you not alone, because i haven't won a thing either!

I've had about £200 in for nearly ten years and haven't won a bean! Still, with such a small amount invested I'd be asking a lot!

NDL

I was given 29 pounds worth the other day that were bought for me as a kid. They haven't won anything in over 30 years.

The 10k I have sheltered there wins every couple of months though. Only 50 quid each time so far....still dreaming of the million - suspect I'll still be dreaming of it by the time I sell them off :(

Premium Bonds Interest rates:

Under £500 2.95%

£500 - £4,999 3.00%

£5,000 - £9,999 3.10%

£10,000 - £24,999 3.30%

£25,000 - £49,999 3.50%

£50,000 + 3.85%

Any lower bids? I see nothing premium at all, apart from that savers are being fleeced. The 'free' lottery ticket is actually quite expensive...

Under £500 2.95%

£500 - £4,999 3.00%

£5,000 - £9,999 3.10%

£10,000 - £24,999 3.30%

£25,000 - £49,999 3.50%

£50,000 + 3.85%

Any lower bids? I see nothing premium at all, apart from that savers are being fleeced. The 'free' lottery ticket is actually quite expensive...

Aren't those the average rates for all holders? Some will get a premium (by winning the jackpot) and others will get less than those rates (nothing).

NDL

I've never won on the PB either - £1K over 5 years. Still, at least you can sell them: unfortunately, the same cannot be said of houses in this area at the moment :P

You can sell them, but keep in mind that they get eroded by inflation, but that's only 2% of course. It's not like £5k a decade ago would have passed for a deposit on a house, or something stupid like that.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I see nothing premium at all, apart from that savers are being fleeced. The 'free' lottery ticket is actually quite expensive...

The art of winning on the bonds is for partners both to hold the maximum. Even better if you get 10k and 5k blocks. Every month it is the large bond holders who scoop most of the bigger prizes. I think the stats of holders with the maximum is only 150k. It would be interesting to know how many partners hold the maximum. I look upon Ernie as a very large Roulette Wheel, each spin the better chance of the ball dropping in 10k and 5k blocks. ;)

The art of winning on the bonds is for partners both to hold the maximum. Even better if you get 10k and 5k blocks. Every month it is the large bond holders who scoop most of the bigger prizes. I think the stats of holders with the maximum is only 150k. It would be interesting to know how many partners hold the maximum. I look upon Ernie as a very large Roulette Wheel, each spin the better chance of the ball dropping in 10k and 5k blocks. ;)

Worth a gamble these PBs. Sure they get eroded over time, but putting in £100 is better than wasting £100 on lottery tickets. Specially as you only earn like a squillionth of a pence over 1000 years by investing anything anywhere anyway!

Why does the world hate the saver?

I must have one of the smallest holdings in the country..£2 worth,bought in the 1950's. They've never won anything!

I wouldn't describe 2 pounds as a small holding. Sounds like Mrs Booth is spoilt.

btp

Edited by backtoparents

Under £500 2.95%

£500 - £4,999 3.00%

£5,000 - £9,999 3.10%

£10,000 - £24,999 3.30%

£25,000 - £49,999 3.50%

£50,000 + 3.85%

How do you figure this?

PBs pay no interest.

Besides the maximum holding is 30k.